Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
64 Greenbrier side door opens when locked
Posted by: 1964green ()
Date: August 12, 2019 12:17PM

Hi Guys,
On my 64 Greenbrier when the interior lock button is depressed on the side intermediate door, the door will not open from the inside.

When you try to open the door from the outside however the door opens.
I have a shop manual and it does not help much.
When I take off the trim panel and look inside the rod moves and everything is connected and looks o/k.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 64 Greenbrier side door opens when locked
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: August 12, 2019 02:13PM

Its been many years, but I remember that if you hang on the outside handle when the door is locked, its not to hard to bend a lever/part on the latch mechanism and the door will open , and it will open from the outside when locked from then on. I don't know if its still locked from the inside but that may be your situation.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 12, 2019 04:47PM

Have to open up the door and check the lock and latch assembly. It appears that something has came lose in the door latch. A tab could also be bent allowing the door to still open.
Just have to open it up and see. Wish I could say, Ah.. it's this!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Nick_Soapdish ()
Date: August 13, 2019 09:37AM

Had the same issue. The problem I found was that the lock only limits movement of the latches; doesn't restrict it entirely.

As CD said, first make sure the tabs aren't bent. Further, you can adjust the latch mechanism for more engagement, so that when the exterior handle is pulled, the latches move, but not enough to clear the tabs.

Dylan
'62 95 Panel
Seattle, WA

Wagons and vans, just clap your hands.

Posted by: Marco_a_p ()
Date: August 13, 2019 10:30AM

The restricting arm that is moved into postion when you pull the door lock knob sits on a pivot that is pressed and stamped into the frame of the door lock/latch mechanism. As stated, if someone "hangs" on the exterior door handle, or some keeps trying to open the door from the exterior handle when it is locked, the pivot will break out from the mech and the restricting arm will not limt the the exterior handles movement. This will allow it to move to the point of unlatching the door.

Fixed a few of these for club members.

Actually, one club member, once i showed him what was wrong on another failed latch, repaired the damaged one with a clevis pin, lathe, an E clip and a welder winking smiley

Marco
A 62 Monza Wagon, a 63 GB 8door, a 62 R/s and a 65 Corsa Turbo coupe..

Hanging out with the scorpions, king snakes, road runners, coyotes and quails In the southern desert of the silver state
Mesquite NV 89024

Date: August 14, 2019 09:23AM

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, guess I'll have my hands in the door again.

Bill

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: August 16, 2019 04:13PM

It's an adjustment issue.

The door latch rods that go up to the top striker are set too low. Remove the side access plate and thread out the adjuster until you finally get it to lock. The problem occurs with wear on the original latch allowing it to rotate just enough to release the rod from the upper striker. The adjustment will correct it. Don’t go too far or the door will be locked even when not. A couple of threads on the swivel block at a time.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2019 04:35PM by MattNall.

Date: August 19, 2019 01:42PM

Thanks Melb-Mike.

That's an easy one to try.

Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.