Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Hard hit Spyder salvageable?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 09, 2019 09:21PM

Tom, you don't just Buy one.... you have to learn how to use it.... that's the "Art" part!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 09, 2019 09:41PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom, you don't just Buy one.... you have to learn how to use it.... that's the "Art" part!

That is no problem!
Joel has PLENTY of car to practice on ! ! ! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: September 09, 2019 10:19PM

I do know to not remove anything until it is straight. Thanks!
A frame machine is on my list. Maybe this will be the excuse to buy one.
The first shop I talked to wouldn't work on anything this old. The second shop said it's a $20K job. Still looking.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: September 09, 2019 11:04PM

$20K ?
Well, you are more than halfway to owning this used frame machine that is just sitting in the DFW area waiting for you to go pick it up!

> Used Frame Machine $35,285.oo <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: September 10, 2019 12:37AM

joelsplace Wrote:
> I do know to not remove anything until it is straight. Thanks!
> A frame machine is on my list. Maybe this will be the excuse to buy one.
> The first shop I talked to wouldn't work on anything this old. The second shop said it's a $20K job. Still looking.

better have a lot of time on your hands to learn how to use one. It takes years of experience before you become proficient at pulling. The Spyder would be about a $3000 pull if the shop that I used were still in business. They closed, when the experienced people got too old to do the work, and damaged cars became more of a throw away than a repair job. Look for a shop that works on large trucks, since those are not throw away vehicles, and they still get fixed on a frame machine. The guy that gave you the 20K figure realized that it was beyond his capabilities or just didn't want to do it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: September 10, 2019 12:05PM

I'm thinking that must have been for a turn key job or like you said he just didn't want to mess with it. I don't think he paid attention to my question since I told him I had all the parts and in his answer he talking about trying to find parts. I guess I should have sent him a picture of my 60+ EMs.
There was a frame machine at an auction I went to last year. I think it was $10K. I might have bought it but I wasn't really ready for it yet. I would be more seriously looking for one if I had a place to put it.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 12:06PM by joelsplace.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 10, 2019 12:47PM

Frame machines come in various types and configurations. I have a frame pull system in my little shop. It is a Blackjack unit they called a Slap Jack. It has all the same components as their full on frame rack, but, is setup for on the floor use. I have anchors in the floor onto which body flange clamping jackstand units bolt. The pulling apparatus also bolts to the floor. (the anchors must be solid). I have 3 rams (2 12 ton and 1 10 ton) allowing multiple direction pulling without dedicating a 2+ bay space to a full on frame rack and when I am not using the equipment the bay is just an open bay with nothing in the way. Corvairs are tough to pull. They are very strong compared to todays tin foil carssmiling smiley

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: September 10, 2019 12:58PM

I've seen similar systems. That is really what I need but I haven't seen anything like that for sale used. If I get the 17K sq ft building I'm looking at I'll have room for a frame machine and paint booth. Barely.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: September 10, 2019 01:08PM

This was the worse one, It pushed the frame rail back about to inches. But Carlos Arango repaired it.

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 10, 2019 01:32PM

Wish my deceased B-I-L was still in the Arlington area... he supplied all the dealers with the add-on Spoilers / flares, etc ...he'd have had a connection!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 10, 2019 02:29PM

That car doesn't look near as bad.
I'm guessing that if I had a frame machine it would take me 10x as long to fix it as someone that knew what they were doing but I would get it done.
I have a '63 convertible and a '61 4dr that could use some pulling also.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: September 10, 2019 08:57PM

I know you are not fixing it, but that red 2 door early in you picture, Joel, is perfect for straightening on a frame machine. Weld some coupons /washers/studs along the body crease (now flat) and pull with the rams.

A floor pot and ram system (Kansas Jack, Blackhawk, etc.) like Ted describes also works. Heck, we built 2" square tubing, welded to a 2' x 2' base of 1/2" steel, drilled 1/2" holes along through two sides, 2 1/2" square tubing sliding collars to go over the 2" tubing, welded loops to the collars and tied one side down to the floor pots with chain (real transportation rated for lifting chain and used chain falls horizontally from the collars to the pulling area of cars.

I do have the square tubing frame that attaches to the pinchwelds of the car to be pulled, and tie that down to the floor for the opposing force.

I owned a Chief drive on frame machine for 10 years. That was great, just drive (push, pull) car onto ramp, level, clamp and pull. Waaayyyy easier than floor pots!thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 09:00PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: September 10, 2019 09:58PM

joelsplace Wrote:
> I've seen similar systems. That is really what I need but I haven't seen anything like that for sale used. If I get the 17K sq ft building I'm looking at I'll have room for a frame machine and paint booth. Barely.

The beauty of the system I have is that it only cost me 5K new. Same system with a hydraulically raised steel pulling table (conventional set up) was like 25K at the time (this was a long time ago).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.