Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Interesting new development with my 64 Greenbrier
Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:44PM

Recently my Greenbrier has been cutting off intermittently. It does this whether it has been running for an hour ( such as on a long trip to the mountains) ,or just started and going to work. It didn't do it for a week or so, but just did it twice when I went to the grocery store. It can do it taking off from a stoplight, or running down the highway at 70 mph. It is not running out of fuel, because it fires right back up when it cuts off. It has an airtex electric fuel pump, a new ignition switch from Clarks, a good battery and a points style ignition system. So far, there has been no rhyme or reason for this malady. Coil has never been overtly hot when this happens. I do have the Revolution Electronics fuel pump relay installed and it checks out OK using their troubleshooting guide. It acts as if I just shut off the ignition with the key. I have a new starter and with a flick of the key it always restarts instantly. Any ideas on what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I'm stumped???

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting new development with my 64 Greenbrier
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:04PM

Disconnect the VA's hose and plug...

If it stops.... Breaker plate is worn

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:43PM

Check engine harness to body harness plug connections.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: TahoeRon ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:26PM

I had the same thing happen last week. Just like the key was turned off!
There was very little voltage at the coil. However, it would start right up, then die. Since the dash light were on, I knew it was not the ignition switch. Turned out to be the connector under the dash (those big black connectors with 6 or 8 pins). Cleaned them up a bit, and worked the connection back and forth a few time. Voila -- everything fixed.

The reason it would start is because the starter supplies 12v to the coil while it is cranking only. Otherwise the voltage at the coil must come through the resisitor wire, through the connector in the engine compartment and then to the connector under the dash.
-------
Ron

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: August 11, 2019 09:00AM

Just getting the opportunity to check out what the possible causes might be. I have some home chores to do and then I will apply these ideas and get back with my findings. I am going to look first at the harness connections and the points plate. Hopefully something will be obvious when I see it. Thanks again for giving me a staring point in my en-devours.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 11, 2019 06:58PM

How about the small wires to the coil. I've seen them down to just a few strands where they go into the connector.
The coil - wire to the points can go bad in the rubber thingy where it passes through the distributor body.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: August 12, 2019 11:05AM

Sounds like an intermittent electrical connection, similar to what TahoeRon had. I would start the engine, and wiggle and pull wires at connectors, see what happens.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.