Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
American Racing AR62 Outlaw Wheels- work on EM?
Posted by: mmak116 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:47AM

Jegs has American Racing AR62 wheels with the 4 on 4.5" lug pattern on sale for $79.99 and I think they also have a promo for $25 off $250 purchases.
I was thinking about purchasing them for my '64 Monza.
They say 14" x 7" with 4" rear spacing so I think they would work.
Has anyone used these on an early model corvair?
Any input is appreciated - please comment

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Racing AR62 Outlaw Wheels- work on EM?
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:19AM

Just in case anybody else is wondering what they look like.

[www.jegs.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:38AM

They should be fine!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:58AM

Believe me you can't go wrong!! thumbs up Mike

Attachments:
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: August 10, 2019 08:54AM

They were on the '62 Rampside when purchased:

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: August 10, 2019 04:10PM

They will work, but the backspacing will push them out towards the fender lip. If your car isn't lowered it won't be an issue, but if it is they will not tuck inside the fender. They do look great! I'd love to see some pics of your car once you have them on!

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:17PM

I'm not following that logic Chad. If they won't fit lowered they are going to interfere when hitting bumps on a non lowered car.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: v8vair ()
Date: August 10, 2019 08:58PM

With drum brakes they might work, with Disc it might be an issue as the rotor is thicker than the drum. 14X 6 with 4inch back space would be best on front,7s on rear. Mike

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: August 10, 2019 09:10PM

My tires are 7 treads wide and I have no clearance issues with either straight or turning.....as of yet anyways just normal running around etc. smiling smiley Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2019 09:13PM by mikeycee.

Attachments:
Posted by: mmak116 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 05:48AM

They do look great on the LM but I have a '64 early model coupe. So I was really looking to see if anyone has them installed on a '64 or earlier model and what size tires they were using. I just purchased quick steering arms and I'm pretty sure the front will be oK on the inside: I was really concerned with the outside front hitting the fender well and trim when turning.
The rear looks like a wider tire could be used since the rear wheels don't turn : just need to worry about the A-arm on the inside and the fender well trim on the outside.
Anyone with prior experience please let me know what you learned running the 14" wider wheel and tires on the EM..

Thank You!!!
Michael

Date: August 11, 2019 02:07PM

Those wheels are 8" wide (total width). The 7" measurement is taken at the bead seat. so, you have 4" inside, and 4" outside (0 offset). What that will do is push them out toward the fender lip. Typically a stock ride height EM has plenty of distance between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender lip, sort of like the pic of Dean's FC and Michael's LM. I would imagine that you'd have to hit a heck of a bump to cause contact at all, but if you are lowered then you won't be able to use them because they will contact the fender. If your car is stock I'm sure you won't have clearance issues.

The pic shows a 205 55 16 mounted on the tool with 4.75 inch backspace. What you can't see is that it is barely clearing the fender lip with the wheels straight. If the tool were set to 4" backspace the front would have to be raised for the fender to clear the tire. Hope this helps. An easy way to check would be to take a large square and put it on the brake drum and look to see where the 4" mark lines up on the fender.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2019 03:20PM

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I think earlies with offsets that push the wheels out to the edge of the fenders look odd. Like V8vair said, if you can buy 6" for the front they'll fit and look better. I would imagine that this car has a similar size wheel combo and you can see how far the wheels are pushed out to the edge of the fenders, especially on the back.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 13, 2019 05:17AM

Chad,
Unless you live somewhere that has perfectly smooth corners the ride height will have nothing to do with fender clearance unless the travel has been changed somehow. Stock Corvair springs are so soft that they use all the travel often unless you drive really slow. That's why you have to take the spring out and move the suspension through it's travel with that really cool tool you have to check for clearance.
If you drive hard you will need extra clearance because of all the flex but it's hard to tell where you will need it.
The rear on EMs need no extra clearance on the fender lip at the top because the travel pulls the tire away from the fender. I guess it might be possible with some tall tires for the tire to move toward the fender on droop but I haven't had that issue.
225/45s with 17x7" on an EM: [corvaircenter.com]
These are stock diameter and stock ride height but they sure don't look like it.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: August 13, 2019 02:54PM

Joel is right, and I think we are saying the same thing. Lots of wheels for rear wheel drive cars have 0 offset, which puts the wheel mounting surface square in the middle of the width of the wheel. That's why it can be confusing when buying a wheel advertised with 7" of width and 4" of backspace (0 offset). Joel's wheels look great on his car because they have the correct offset and won't hit the fender lip on a bump. My car also has 225's on the rear and won't even come close to having an issue, but 225's wouldn't have fit on the front without rubbing on something so it has 205's. That's because it has been lowered, or, like he said, the travel has been changed.

I don't have near the experience that lots of guys here have, especially Joel. I guess what I was trying to say is that I've seen earlies with those wheels on them so they must work, but on a lowered car I think they would be a problem.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.