Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Factory stock mag wheel covers - Opinion?
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 09, 2019 06:41AM

OK, so someone brought up the subject of the factory stock mag caps. So just so everyone can offer up their opinionated thoughts on the subject, I'll be the first to throw down that gauntlet.

IMHO they only look good on certain cars and with certain colors. This seems to be brought out in their popularity, or rather lack thereof back in the day when they were an option, since, compared to wire covers, the stock issue, or any other cover or cap, they just weren't ordered that often. Bottom line is that, on some cars, they were butt ugly, whereas all the other caps went with whatever car they were put on. As a result, I feel that, at the swap meets, they by rights should only be selling at half the price of wire wheel covers, but they aren't. Vendors habitually price the two styles at the same price, and that I find obscene, bizarre, and unbelievable that buyers would allow themselves to be ripped off that way. Crazy.

Ok, those are my thoughts, so let's keep the trash talk civil.

-Mark

P.S. Here's an example of a car that was ordered with the mag caps, good, bad, or indifferent?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Factory stock mag wheel covers - Opinion?
Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: August 09, 2019 07:43AM

I LOVE the simulated mag wheel caps! I have a nearly NOS set that I'm holding onto for my next LM Coupe (whenever that is). I've had a couple of sets of them. Had them on my convertible for some time until I wanted to put larger tires on the car. You may be right that they look better on some cars than others but I haven't seen a LM car they look bad on yet.

Enjoy the Corvair!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: August 09, 2019 07:49AM

UGLY...wire wheel caps much better looking.

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: August 09, 2019 07:56AM

I love the mag caps. However for LM, I insist in larger wheels and tires, so I use aluminum wheels.

Having said that, both the mag and wire cap options were superbly executed by GM. If you compare with Mustang for instance, they are far better. I have seen more than my share of mag covers with one or more of the "nuts" sheared off because the hapless mechanic thought it was real.

Posted by: dogmad7 ()
Date: August 09, 2019 08:07AM

Love em. Have a set on my 66 with 14" FC wheels. Look nice to me. Question, did they make 13" in the mag wheel cover?

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: August 09, 2019 08:10AM

I find they look better on colours they match better. That is, colours like evening Orchid, the turquoise colours and black. For some reason I don't like the look of them on red or darker blue cars. Thats my $0.02 worth.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 09, 2019 08:15AM

Of ALL simulated Mag-style wheel covers, the Corvair one is by far the most realistic, and BEST looking one out there.
Since with the exception of the roof-line, all of our LM bodies look alike, I don't see how you can state that, ". . . ., on some cars, they were butt ugly, . . .".
Seems to me that they would be "butt ugly" on all, or none.
Personally, I like them.
I hate the big flat disc covers that seem to be so popular!
But, that being said, like Flat_six said, I like larger rims, therefore, only one of my Vairs has 13" wheels and covers.
And they are MAG-STYLE! thumbs up thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: August 09, 2019 01:12PM

dogmad7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love em. Have a set on my 66 with 14" FC wheels. Look nice to me. Question, did they make 13" in the mag wheel cover?
>
>
>
Yes they made the mag wheel covers in 13"

Jeff K
64 Fitch Sprint convt
65 Fitch Sprint coupe
64 Greenbrier
70 Camaro ss 396

Just North of Jacksonville, FL.

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: August 09, 2019 02:11PM

I kinda of fall in line with the camp that feels they look awesome on certain cars and color combination and look out of place on others.

I would have to go back and scroll through a bunch of different pic's to find my personal criteria of what I like and what I don't like them on but feel the above observations fall pretty much in line with the majority of my likes and dislikes.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 09, 2019 02:21PM

Hey Mark, who cares what other peoples opinions are. We only need to please ourselves. But since you are asking, I like them, the wire caps (3 prong and the 67-69 center cap version), and in some applications I even like the stock.

BTW, nice looking sport sedan. They for sure look good on it.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: August 09, 2019 02:42PM

I love them! thumbs up

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: August 09, 2019 05:01PM

Tim, you're right. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But I'm amazed that on many if not most all online forums, like this one for example, there seems to be a few people who don't like people expressing their opinions. They often try to call some people "opinionated" in an effort to silence them. As far as my own thoughts go, sure, I like to express myself. I also enjoy reading others' opinions on various subjects, but what I may think of any certain line of thought is, just like everyone else, my own opinion. So what? Does the world revolve around what I think? No. No more than it revolves around anyone else's opinion. So I say, let your feelings and thoughts be known, but just respect others' rights to have their own opinions, right or wrong, as well. Like the one guy said, "can't we all get along together?"

Which was the whole idea in posting this question in the first place.

Now back to your regularly scheduled question in this thread. smiling smiley

-Mark

Date: August 09, 2019 05:12PM

Pertaining to the subject of the mag caps. they were available across much of the Chevy line, so they were available in 13, 14, and 15" sizes.

They were also made in at least two styles. I refer to them as the flat ring and raised ring styles. The ring in question is the center emblem's surrounding ring, and whether it is raised above the center emblem, or whether it is nearly flush with its center emblem. The Corvair used only the raised ring style, and is, I think, the nicer of the two designs.

-Mark

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 09, 2019 06:09PM

Yes, you are correct Mark. I believe the saying is "I may not agree with everything you say. But I will defend your right to say it".
Free speech. It is not illegal to scream "FIRE" in a crowded theater (so long as the theater is on fire when you scream it).

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: August 09, 2019 06:40PM

I love them, looks so sharp.
Beautiful 4 door, Mark/Tim....

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 09, 2019 06:46PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tim, you're right. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But I'm amazed that on many if not most all online forums, like this one for example, there seems to be a few people who don't like people expressing their opinions. They often try to call some people "opinionated" in an effort to silence them. As far as my own thoughts go, sure, I like to express myself. I also enjoy reading others' opinions on various subjects, but what I may think of any certain line of thought is, just like everyone else, my own opinion. So what? Does the world revolve around what I think? No. No more than it revolves around anyone else's opinion. So I say, let your feelings and thoughts be known, but just respect others' rights to have their own opinions, right or wrong, as well. Like the one guy said, "can't we all get along together?"
>
> Which was the whole idea in posting this question in the first place.
>
> Now back to your regularly scheduled question in this thread. smiling smiley
>
> -Mark

You were on a roll, doing quite well until you added "but just respect others' rights to have their own opinions, right or wrong,"... how do you explain the "right or wrong", when you say "just respect others' rights to have their own opinions".... Using the words "right or wrong" I don't believe should be there. I will respectfully, await your explanation.... Junk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: August 09, 2019 07:07PM

Wow, tough crowd...

I interpreted Mark to "mean"...

but just respect others' rights to have their own opinions, Whether you think it is right or wrong, as well. Like the one guy said, "can't we all get along together?"

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 09, 2019 09:22PM

Fake is ugly. Gag on the mag covers and gag on wire covers. Stock correct covers for the year or aftermarket aluminum wheels are the only way to go and my opinion is correct.
I won't tear yours off but chrome tips are fair game unless they are factory turbo.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: August 09, 2019 10:03PM

Rick, you are absolutely right. Indeed, I meant that "whether you think in your own mind, the other opinion is right or wrong", which is in itself one own's opinion. The truth may be on one side or the other, or on both sides or neither. But that's the nature of opinions. It's why we must be able to agree to disagree. And like Tim said, free speech, the right to disagree with someone, but defend to the death their right to say it.

Typing is a lousy way of communicating, as so much inference and inflection is lost so easily. No wonder that 85% of our communication is non-verbal, and so easily lost and/or misinterpreted when not face to face. It makes these forums indeed a tough crowd.

Now back to the thread in progress.

-Mark

Date: August 09, 2019 10:26PM

As mentioned at the start, I personally am not the biggest fan of mag caps, for the aforementioned reasons. I've always felt that there was nothing more elegant than a late model 4 door with wires. So when I got the Texas car (pictured), I wan't sold on its looks with the mag caps. But since it still had the window sticker in it, and it was ordered that way, I left them on it. Over time, the mag caps seemed to go well on the Sierra Fawn body with Capri Cream top. It being an obviously high-line, loaded with options car, from bumper guards to whitewalls, everything worked together, and the look grew on me.

But I still want a 4 door with wires. So that's what I'm building. And yes, it's going to have whitewalls. It seems the list of love/hate options now includes:
Mag caps
Wire caps
Whitewalls
Blackwalls
Bumper guards
Fender skirts
Manual transmissions
Automatic transmissions

Anybody want to add to the list?

-Mark

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.