Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Factory stock mag wheel covers - Opinion?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 10, 2019 02:50AM

140 engines versus the other Vair engines.
Corsa versus other models.
Latest versus Earlies models
Points versus electronic ignition
Mechanical fuel pump versus electric
Cove paint color

Keep looking through this forum and you will find lots of which is better examples.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:06AM

I happen to love them and they were one of the first things I put on my 69 convertible.

Lee J

Attachments:
Posted by: Vin ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:08AM

Here is a vote for love them!! But I admit that to my eye they look best on late models and wires look best on earlies. But they work on both. It is not uncommon for me to be out in my 65 and people who stop to comment on the car say something like, "oh and it has those great mag caps on it!"

Vin
Dayton, OH
1965 Corvair Monza Convertible (4 speed)

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:52AM

I think they are cool but way crazy in value. You can buy a decent set of “real” mag wheels sometimes 2 sets for the money guys are giving for these.

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:39AM

How much do they weigh?
I'm fundamentally opposed to wire wheel covers because they're four flywheels of unsprung weight to accelerate and decelerate. They do look fetching as do the mags.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:07AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rick, you are absolutely right. Indeed, I meant that "whether you think in your own mind, the other opinion is right or wrong", which is in itself one own's opinion. The truth may be on one side or the other, or on both sides or neither. But that's the nature of opinions. It's why we must be able to agree to disagree. And like Tim said, free speech, the right to disagree with someone, but defend to the death their right to say it.
>
> Typing is a lousy way of communicating, as so much inference and inflection is lost so easily. No wonder that 85% of our communication is non-verbal, and so easily lost and/or misinterpreted when not face to face. It makes these forums indeed a tough crowd.
>
> Now back to the thread in progress.
>
> -Mark

I was just giving you a hard time about an opinion question. Your question was to provoke opinions, and my question was poking fun at your question. All is good, and don't ever take anything personal, unless it is truly vicious and personal. No one ever gets out of this world alive, so live and let live, and always remember that tomorrow is another day, and somewhere in this world, the sun will be shining.
PS.. I love the mag caps, and a fact that is not well known, the base cap (the outer rim) is the same for both wires and mags.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: August 10, 2019 07:10AM

67 airvair Wrote:
> As mentioned at the start, I personally am not the biggest fan of mag caps, for the aforementioned reasons. I've always felt that there was nothing more elegant than a late model 4 door with wires. So when I got the Texas car (pictured), I wan't sold on its looks with the mag caps. But since it still had the window sticker in it, and it was ordered that way, I left them on it. Over time, the mag caps seemed to go well on the Sierra Fawn body with Capri Cream top. It being an obviously high-line, loaded with options car, from bumper guards to whitewalls, everything worked together, and the look grew on me.
>
> But I still want a 4 door with wires. So that's what I'm building. And yes, it's going to have whitewalls. It seems the list of love/hate options now includes:
> Mag caps
> Wire caps
> Whitewalls
> Blackwalls
> Bumper guards
> Fender skirts
> Manual transmissions
> Automatic transmissions
>
> Anybody want to add to the list?
>
> -Mark

Tissue Dispenser
Litter Container
Seat Belts
Rear Speakers
Tape Players
Tape Pockets for Tapes (1968-1969)
Door Edge Guards
Compass

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: August 10, 2019 08:44AM

They look great on the pictured Monza sedan. They seem to give visual balance to the lighter colored roof

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: August 10, 2019 10:46AM

gnvair Wrote:
> I happen to love them and they were one of the first things I put on my 69 convertible.

That 69 vert knocks my socks off. Love the look. Mag caps work very well here.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 10, 2019 12:13PM

It seems the list of love/hate options now includes:
> Mag caps
> Wire caps
> Whitewalls
> Blackwalls
> Bumper guards
> Fender skirts
> Manual transmissions
> Automatic transmissions
>
> Anybody want to add to the list?
>
> -Mark

Tissue Dispenser
Litter Container
Seat Belts
Rear Speakers
Tape Players
Tape Pockets for Tapes (1968-1969)
Door Edge Guards
Compass

That's an interesting list, junkman. I'll agree with you on many of the items, but have to disagree on item #3. Having been in at least one potentially fatal accident, and having stepped out of them all but uninjured because I was wearing my belt, I see seat belts as a thing of beauty.

Much of your list seems to fall into the category of "depends on how you use (decorate) your car". And that reflects on how one lives and one's sense of taste (and some people have horrible tastes). Which makes for life being rather comical at times. Like Mark Twain once said, "I've studied this human animal, and I find the results humiliating."

It s a good thing that God made us all different. If we were all the same, He'd be bored to tears. As it is, we must endlessly fascinate Him. grinning smiley

-Mark

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 10, 2019 03:19PM

One of the problems with hanging around the Corvair for so many years is that I remember events, vendors and pricing from many years ago. There was a Corvair vendor, somewhere in Tennessee (I believe), long gone. They were selling 4-packs of the Mag wheel covers for around $50-$60 a set, new in the boxes. Oh well!

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 10, 2019 04:20PM

Seth I think that was Rollo
and Colleen Fox

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: August 10, 2019 06:04PM

67 airvair Wrote:

>
> It s a good thing that God made us all different. If we were all the same, He'd be bored to tears. As it is, we must endlessly fascinate Him. grinning smiley
>
> -Mark

Are you certain that G-d is a he??? I know lots of women that would take offense, because they believe that G-d is a she......

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.