Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
What makes the ignition switch on a '65 different than on a '67 Monza?
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: August 04, 2019 12:09PM

confused smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What makes the ignition switch on a '65 different than on a '67 Monza?
Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: August 04, 2019 12:23PM

According to the 1965 Shop Manual, the 1967 Supplement and Bob Helt's "The Classic Corvair" there is NO difference!

In 1968 they added a "key in the lock" switch.

Hope this helps! drinking smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 04, 2019 12:34PM

The 65 ignition switch assemblycould have the securing outer ring removed, whether or not there was a key in the lock, and it could be removed in any position. In 1966 they changed the design of the inner tumbler and added an "interference" design for the outer ring. This makes it mandatory that you rotate the key past accessory, with the paper clip inserted into the small hole in the face, and remove the tumbler assembly. Then you can unscrew the outer ring and push the switch assembly in and it falls in, down under the dash. Although the complete 68 switch assembly may be installed into a 65, perhaps some terminals on the back side will mate with a 65 harness, or not be used at all. So, perhaps it will work in a 65. The odd thing about a 65, is that it is really easy to steal. Just bring along a 65 switch and key with you. Unscrew the outer ring and push the switch inward. It falls down just under the dash. Replace the installed ignition switch with your own, and off you go!

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: August 04, 2019 12:47PM

In '67 they added a terminal that provides a ground in the start position. This grounded terminal is used to light the "Brake" light that was added to the fuel gauge in '67 for the E brake or a brake system failure. This way when you are cranking the engine you can see that the light still works. I was thinking that in '65 you still have to remove the tumblers before you can take the switch out of the dash?

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 04, 2019 12:53PM

[corvaircenter.com]

The 1965 Ignition Switch AND Key Cylinder are physically different than the 1966 through 1969 versions. Look at the photo's found in the above referenced link.

The 1965 Key Cylinder has a small "Pin" that when looked at from straight on resembled the Upper case letter "D" while the 1966 and later resembles a lower case letter "l".
The ignition switch will have a matching recess in the plastic part inside that matches the specific year.

The 1936 through 1966 GM Ignition Cylinders utilize the "15" Groove keyway which is known to many as the B10 (an Aftermarket Keyblank Identification number)
In 1967 GM changed the Key Groove and began an alphabetical system of identification. The 1967 was an "A", 1968 was a "C" and 1969 was an "E".
In 1967 GM kept the Octagon Head for some models while using a rectangle shape on other models.
At some point after that, the Octagon shape ignition key was dropped and is one reason that finding that shape head with the correct groove is more difficult today.

It is possible to remove a complete 1965 Ignition Switch with it's key cylinder and replace it with a complete 1966 Ignition Switch and it's key cylinder and have it function correctly.
(This includes using the chrome nut for the specific year as they are different if memory serves)
Since I never owned a 1967 or later Corvair, I can't say with any certainty that they are or are not interchangeable with the 1966 components.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: oldqmguy ()
Date: August 04, 2019 02:20PM

I was only referring to the ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS! Wasn't looking at mounting. sad smiley

BTW, there is NO Connection to the "Brake Light" from the Ignition Switch in 1967! There is a Brake Light Switch on the Emergency Brake Lever that turns ON the Brake Light when the Emergency Brake is SET (I just came in from the garage where I checked this on MY 1967 Monza!). eye popping smiley

Dale cool smiley

Dale E. Smiley CPBE
Life Member The Society of Broadcast Engineers
RETIRED Broadcast Engineer
CERTIFIED CORVAIR NUT
CORSA/Circle City Corvairs/Corvair Performance Group
Avon, Indiana
WB9SFF
1967 4-Door Monza PG!

Date: August 13, 2019 12:42PM

I note that Clark's Corvair lists the 1965 ignition switch with it's own part number that is different than the other years.

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: August 13, 2019 07:18PM

When we bought a replacement switch for dad's '65 Corsa many years ago, the electrical plug would no longer lock in place. It "almost" fit, but not quite.

Just assumed it was a fluke and slightly crappy built part (seen it too many times) or a running change (seen that way too many times too) and just made it work with the help of a zip-tie to hold it in place.

Don't remember the details of what clip didn't fit into what hole or why, but I remember the basic issue.
One of these days I'll need to revisit it because I don't like leaving it that way.

My motto... "It's temporary, unless it works!" holes more true than I like to admit!

Paul

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: August 13, 2019 07:32PM

The "Brake" lamp on the dash is also supposed to light when the differential pressure switch on the distribution block notes a different pressure from front to rear brake circuit. This important function is why the "Brake" lamp should also light during Start.

BTW, I know of no 1967 applications that used the large rectangular head "A" blank. These are known as B-48 in the aftermarket, and became available on 1971 vehicles.

The octagon head "A" blank in 1967 is known as the B-40 in the aftermarket, and octagon "B" is B-42. Both long since discontinued.

Reason for change of head? Steering column ignition switches beginning in 1969. 1968 GM still had dash mounted ignition switch.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: August 14, 2019 08:17AM

I tried to order the 1965 ignition switch (C2428) from Clark's yesterday; received an email from them informing me that it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would become available again.

sad smiley

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 14, 2019 01:12PM

rnch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried to order the 1965 ignition switch (C2428) from Clark's yesterday; received an email from them informing me that it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would become available again.
>
>
> sad smiley

[www.ebay.com]

There is currently one on flea bay.
Clarks price is $99.00 plus shipping and out of stock until who knows when.
The Flea Bay one is $115.00 plus $7.50 shipping and is advertised as NOS
For the difference in price, it is a no brainer in my book.
The OE part number crosses over to the Clarks number too.
I was unable to actually see down into the switch with the provided photo's and confirm it looks correct but....if the switch shown came out of that can, chances are good that it will be correct for the application.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: August 14, 2019 03:59PM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rnch Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I tried to order the 1965 ignition switch (C2428) from Clark's yesterday; received an email from them informing me that it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would become available again.
> >
> >
> > sad smiley
>
> [www.ebay.com]
>
> There is currently one on flea bay.
> Clarks price is $99.00 plus shipping and out of stock until who knows when.
> The Flea Bay one is $115.00 plus $7.50 shipping and is advertised as NOS
> For the difference in price, it is a no brainer in my book.
> The OE part number crosses over to the Clarks number too.
> I was unable to actually see down into the switch with the provided photo's and confirm it looks correct but....if the switch shown came out of that can, chances are good that it will be correct for the application.

I did see this one one evilbay; didn't know how to cross check the part number as you did.

Thanks for doing so!

I made a counter-offer at slighly below the Clark's price; seller accepted.

Hoping it will fit!

Thanks again.

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: August 14, 2019 11:15PM

wow! A hundred bucks for a sixties igntion switch! Guess I've been out of touch for awhile (well, I knew that already) but when did they go from 25 bucks to 99?
I remember when they went from $10 at the local Kragen to $20 or so, but must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle in the meantime.
Or maybe I'm thinking of other cars...

Nice score on the NOS original either way though. Hope it works out perfectly for you.

Paul

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 15, 2019 02:13AM

I needed to get a ignition switch fro my 66 coupe, as I took it for my 66 More Door. Found a NOS one ON EBay for $45. I thought that was reasonable.

If I had a 65, i think I would have bought a 66 switch being frugal and all. Plus switch can't be removed without key. Theft deterrent.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.