Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Whitewall Conundrum
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 06, 2019 06:09PM

First off, it's your car. Do as you please.

If you're looking for a consensus of opinion, as you can see, it's all over the board.

But in that vein (and at risk of some wag accusing me of being "opinionated", a term I find utterly absurd and hypocritical) because they don't like my expressing my thoughts, here's my thoughts anyway:

Back in the day, it was considered a sign of poverty to not have whitewalls and full wheel covers. It's why there were so many Corvairs (around 70%) that were equipped with them from the factory. And even if they were built with blackwalls, they often were either swapped out by an arrangement the dealer had with the local tire shop (who always had a stock of "take-offs" for cheap), or were dressed up with trim rings, full wheel covers (via a dealer kit) and/or port-a-walls. In other words BLACKWALLS WERE A DISGRACE!

As far as my own opinion goes, I feel they still are, but it's just about all you can get on new cars. YUCK! To me, nothing dresses a Corvair up better than a set of whitewalls and wheel covers. My own project car is a '67 Monza 4 door, and you better believe it's GOT to have whitewalls and wire wheel covers. Now THAT is elegance personified!

Now if you're going with a different look, you could get away with blackwalls on oversize or "loud" wheels. You know the type, wheels that overpower the rest of the car's styling, either by being glitzy or by being too big a diameter (greater than 15"). Ever since huge rim diameters became the latest fad, I've been saying that huge rim diameters are an effort to make up for bad, poor, or no styling whatsoever. The Corvair by virtue of its design lacks for nothing, so is not in need of any of that "today" look.

But as I said, it's your car. Choose the look you want to project and enjoy the look you create.

-Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: August 06, 2019 08:44PM

This last post makes me LMAO when I see these guys with huge wheels. Makes 'em look like they are trying to become "Wagonmasters". Hey Pa' I'll get the buckboard and meet ya' down at the car show! eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: August 08, 2019 12:07PM

Well, the decision has been made!

(I don’t think the networks will be interrupting their regular programming for a Special Report.)

First, your responses surprised me. I was expecting greater support for whitewalls and lesser support for blackwalls than what appeared here. Remember, we’re talking about a stock-appearing car, with stock 13-inch wheels and the factory wheelcovers. So I was expecting more whitewall endorsement.

The responses emboldened me, I felt more comfortable with my own preference for blackwalls. Still, my sense of “stock-ness” kept nagging at me. Whitewalls were the thing when my car was new.

When I looked at a photo of the car this morning, taken shortly after the existing elderly whitewalls had been cleaned, the whitewall side of the debate got a little stronger.

But as I said from the beginning, I don’t like whitewalls and I really don’t like trying to keep them clean.

Today, the final piece of the argument fell into place. While I am going to put the stock full wheelcovers back on the car, if I find a nice set of the 13-inch “mag-style” wheelcovers I am going to switch to them. Whitewalls “don’t go” with the mag-style wheelcovers, so...

Blackwalls it is!

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It’s been fun!

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: August 08, 2019 01:13PM

Just to throw one more log on the fire, consider these pictures of my Texas car, now owned by Tim Shortle. Also that whitewalls usually found their way onto anywhere from 54.57% in '68 to 73.70% in '65 of all LM Corvairs.

But as long as you are happy with the results, that's all that matters. Enjoy!

-Mark

Attachments:

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: August 09, 2019 09:30AM

Just a thought...

If you can't get whitewalls in the size/rims you want, is there any paint that would allow you to just make your own?

EP

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: August 09, 2019 08:06PM

or do they still sell Porta-Walls?

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 09, 2019 09:58PM

David Malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> or do they still sell Porta-Walls?

Sure!
What color do you want?

> > > The Porta Wall Shop < < <

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: Noel Felty ()
Date: August 10, 2019 05:43AM

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to bash whitewalls! I simply cannot stand them and the skinny little stock looking tires. Early or late doesn’t matter but the late is much more demeaning to the car. The late model was built to eat twisty roads and race tracks. Saddling it with some crappy maxis “stock look” nonsense of a tire is painful to see. Do athletes perform in flip flops? Stick some bigger, wider and meatier tires on that car. She will thank you!

Noel Felty
Brevard, NC
1966 Corsa 140 Before

1966 Corsa After

1972 Ford f100

Corsa SC
NC Mountain Corvairs

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 10, 2019 07:44PM

X2 Noel

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: August 11, 2019 09:02AM

My 63 has white walls with full wheel covers, my 69 has the raised white letters inside as their not Good Year or Firestone on rallies. That's what drives me crazy when raised white letters say something like super duper wide trac . Just my opinion , others may vary.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.