Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Boiling Gas
Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: August 05, 2019 01:59PM

Brizo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Having a rubber seal around the engine cover to keep noise down makes things worse because it holds the heat in and heat rising through the fan is directed right at the carbs.

Me:

I wonder if that is one of the design objectives of the factory desert package. There is a duct going from the fan to the air inlet plenum. Primarily it issues the coolest possible air to the fan during operation, but also ducts the rising hot air from the engine to outside when shutdown.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: August 05, 2019 06:26PM

flat_six Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Brizo Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Having a rubber seal around the engine cover to keep noise down makes things worse because it holds the heat in and heat rising through the fan is directed right at the carbs.
>
> Me:
>
> I wonder if that is one of the design objectives of the factory desert package. There is a duct going from the fan to the air inlet plenum. Primarily it issues the coolest possible air to the fan during operation, but also ducts the rising hot air from the engine to outside when shutdown.

A duct from the fan to the air inlet? on an FC? Got a pic?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: Intrinsic ()
Date: August 06, 2019 01:41PM

I never knew there was a desert option package. This is such a great insight as it applies some of the design features that are also used in the VW.

I will have to figure out how to adapt these to the Rampside's engine bay.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 06, 2019 01:54PM

Glen, that duct will have to go to the back access door... only place there is room. IMO

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: August 06, 2019 02:03PM

I've never heard of the desert option on anything but an LM.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 06, 2019 05:49PM

Joel he'll just have to fabricate a duct somewhat different than the factory but it'll have to have its intake at the rear access door that's the only place he could possibly get air.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 07:27PM by MattNall.

Date: August 06, 2019 06:51PM

You could duct air in from the sides where it normally comes in.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: August 08, 2019 04:57AM

Sounds like quite the duct. I can't even begin to imagine what I would use or how long it would take.

Maybe a round something or other ram horned to a twin rectangular in the 8" of overhead space available. Then rectangular rubber hose out to each side duct. Slots for the throttle and fan belt. Lifts up and away somewhat with the rubber hoses still attached. Attached to the fender grilles somehow.

I guess I can begin to imagine but I don't think I could pull it off.

Electric fuel pump and leaving the access door open sometimes is more my speed.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Intrinsic ()
Date: August 08, 2019 05:51AM

The fabrication involved is considerable, but should be fun.

Date: August 09, 2019 05:36AM

I hope to see some follow-up if you do it. I enjoy fabrication when it's going okay.

Warren LeVeque had a plenum for inlet cooling air on one of his race engines that was intriguing. I can't remember which one. Seems like it was to Yenko hood but I also remember he had some cooling issues with mid-engine, although that was more with the exiting air than the entering air. I don't see much from or about Warren anymore, I always enjoyed his efforts. I especially appreciated that he wasn't afraid to talk about what he tried that didn't work out too.

I always wondered if Ultra Vans could use some help with cooling air flow. They're pulling air in through the side and have a few feet of exit underneath. Nothing like gas vapors under your pillow.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 05:38AM by JimBrandberg.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: August 10, 2019 06:08AM

My Rampside never does this. No hot start problems and no fuel evaporating from the bowls after a few days of sitting. I believe the reason is that it has the gas heater which has a fuel line to the heater as well as a return line to the fuel tank. This seems to be an unintended consequence of the gas heater. Maybe a fuel return line would help in all these fuel issues.

Date: August 10, 2019 06:32AM

I don't remember having any trouble with my Rampside either. I had a few different engines in it. It was a daily driver and I used it fairly hard. Stuck in traffic, 70 MPH on the freeway, heavy loads of lumber on top with lots of wind resistance...

It's been 15 years or so, maybe if I had trouble I've just forgotten the pain. I had a few engines it because they were used when installed and just flat wore out with blow-by and such. Maybe the loose fitting lid on strap hinges let some hot air escape. I just had mechanical fuel pump with no return.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 10, 2019 07:52PM

I don't think it is vehicle specific. I have one 66 that vapor locks but none of my other Corvairs do. I had an 81 C10 that did it but my 82 Malibu never has. Same drivetrain and fuel system.
All of my carbureted cars have fuel evaporate after sitting a few days.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.