Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: El Corvino Styling
Date: July 22, 2019 07:23AM

Sedan rear window El Corvino? YES PLEASE!

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 65180 ()
Date: July 22, 2019 12:40PM

The orange El Corvino repair and rebuild is on hold for the moment while the owner completes other projects. Plans are for a Subaru mid engine set up. Clean up the tops of the rear quarter panels and coupe doors,4 wheel disc brakes etc. Completion is a few years out. Pictures will be posted once work continues.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: July 23, 2019 05:16AM

65180 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...a Subaru mid engine set up...

Well that's just crazy talk but hope it gets back on the road! grinning smiley

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 23, 2019 05:26AM

You can see by the 4-door Corvair picture above how long the door would be if the rear door glass was behind the wing window. Also that the front door glass goes down to meet the wing window.

I suppose if a person was committed to this idea a special door window would be necessary. It would probably be very difficult to grind a rear window down to fit on that top front edge without breaking it and it's probably too long anyway. I wonder about Lexan instead of just plexiglass.

The 59 El Camino with a little room behind the seat and a package shelf is kind of cool. I suppose you can do a lot more stuff with a 12' wheelbase. This project car wheel base is a little longer than stock, I think maybe a foot.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 23, 2019 07:33AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
> You can see by the 4-door Corvair picture above how long the door would be if the rear door glass was behind the wing window. Also that the front door glass goes down to meet the wing window.
>
> I suppose if a person was committed to this idea a special door window would be necessary. It would probably be very difficult to grind a rear window down to fit on that top front edge without breaking it and it's probably too long anyway. I wonder about Lexan instead of just plexiglass.
>
> The 59 El Camino with a little room behind the seat and a package shelf is kind of cool. I suppose you can do a lot more stuff with a 12' wheelbase. This project car wheel base is a little longer than stock, I think maybe a foot.

I would not recommend grinding the glass.
I was once in a glass shop that was making a custom window for a chopped-top.
I asked them how they could possibly cut tempered glass.
I had always been told that you can't do it.
The Glass Shop told me that they do NOT cut or grind it, but rather mask it off, and sandblast it away.
Takes time, but does the job without shattering the glass.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: July 23, 2019 08:22AM

Dave, it is going to be mid engine when done. This is what Frank wants. We will figure it out.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Raycr ()
Date: July 24, 2019 08:12PM

I think the sedan rear glass would look right on a el corvaio. You might find it easier to fit if the windshield and roof were from a sedan so the heights started the same. On the 59 Els, the door skin is the same as the 2 door sedan but the window frame leans forwards at the rear. If you were to graft the rear part of a 4 door window frame to a coupe door you could get the angle to match the sedan rear window lines. Are the side and rear glass tempered? Not safety plate? The door glass shouldn't be hard for a competent glass shop to make with a good template. IF the rear glass is safety plate that can be cut as well. that car will be an ambitious project and an sharp ride when done

Date: July 30, 2020 06:25AM

He's starting to work on the El Corvino project.
We're looking for a suitable 140 engine today for a cool factor with the hood open.
I think it's going to be a 4 speed so we'll need to lengthen the shift tube and clutch cable. This thing has a longer than stock wheelbase.
He's got an idea for changing the door post from 4-door to convertible and using convertible doors without the upper frame. I'm not sure about the logistics.
I had someone call me with a free 64 convertible in a barn since 1979. Besides the body parts that would yield suspension and transaxle too if 64 suspension was desired.
The EM 4-door rear glass is still part of the mix I think.
I'm excited to see this project moving forward.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 31, 2020 06:32AM

The free 64 turned out to be a PG so probably not worth the trip.

We got a 140 running but it's got a bad noise, deeper than a pesky lifter. Time for Plan B.

Sort of fun to order someone around for a while. The kids are gone and the wife really doesn't take a shine to it.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: August 01, 2020 11:48AM

I agree about the door length. The 108 wheelbase on the wagon looks almost limousine like. The very large, rear side glass (compared to the driver door glass) is probably a contributor.

A few years back I contemplated what could be done to my Lakewood. I gave my nephew a wagon image off Google Images (don't know whose car it is, hope they don't mind the alterations) and he changed it in Photoshop.

The look I was going for was a larger door-ed, shortened (without being the typical "Shorty") two door wagon. My nephew created a large rear side glass. I still think the drivers side glass needs to be even longer than he made it.

Has anyone ever adapted a two door car to a four door style rear roof. I'm not a lover of four doors but the roof at the rear has a cool look. Maybe the inverse is easier? To make a four door a two door while retaining the four door roof?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 11:50AM by wittsend.

Attachments:
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 01, 2020 12:07PM

Answer to 2dr shortened wagon is YES it has been done. Customer/club member here in Denver area has white shortened wagon. It has been finished for many years and he drives it to club affairs occasionally.

Probably Matt has some pics of the car archived. He also has shortened early convert and a three wheeler made from early convert.

Other short cars are around too. I have snapshot from 1983 Seattle national convention of short wagon there and other converts and even an early sedan was featured in COMMUNIQUE years ago by the late Bob Kirkman. I think Caveman Pete Koehler owned that car too.

Sorry all, way too much information.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Date: August 01, 2020 12:36PM

I'm familiar with the "too Short" shorties out there. What I was commenting about was a more proportionally shortened wagon that took the "Limousine" look out of the wheelbase without making the car stubby (such as my nephew did in Photoshop).

Likewise with the 4 door car being converted to a two door what I was looking for was the wheelbase being retained. In essence no more than lengthening the front door a few inches (for proper proportion) and eliminating the visual presence of the rear door lines (welding them in). I'v got a request to my nephew to do that in Photoshop as well.

In my Ford Pinto world they make the Pinchero's. The Pinto wagon was only ever a two door. The oddity is that the front/rear overhangs on those look extremely exaggerated. Thus inverse to the Corvair conversion the wheelbase looks too short.

Attachments:
Date: August 02, 2020 09:06AM

The big square window on the wagon rear doors has always bothered me. It works good and doesn't mess with the overall lines from a distance so I don't know what my problem is.

The blue rendition above would look better with longer 2-door doors. I realize the wagon doors are 2" higher so it would be difficult to attain.

The 140 noise turned out to be broken #3 Intake cast iron valve guide bits imbedded in the piston and head. The seat is cocked funny and coming out of it's register but that aluminum looks surprisingly good.
There's 5 stock cast pistons but looks like #2 has a TRW Speed Pro by what I can see of the skirt. It's cobbled together and I didn't do it.
I've got some other options for this time but I think I'll remove the cylinders and rods to have a look at the rod journals and cam lobes for future consideration. Sorry to stray from the styling topic at hand.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 02, 2020 10:17AM

No need to apologize. You are the post originator. Hope you get the engine sorted without much $$$.

Regarding the blue rendition. The front door was lengthened (see image) but I agree a bit more would work better. And when you really look at it the front door itself has a fair bit of length. It is the small side window that the curved windshield creates that is the main objection.

I think larger wheels/taller tires help the wagon look (glad I have 3.89 gears). I've seen many wagons with white roofs and and as much as I thought it would make the car look longer, it looks better (my opinion).

It one adapts the 4 door rear section to the El Corvino roof I'd be curious to see how an extended "king cab" style small window would work? That is sort of what the Pinchero above did (but the triangle doesn't work well). If the driver was tall I think it would be helpful.

Attachments:
Date: August 03, 2020 06:09AM

Yes I'm not much for the triangle. If the slope of the rear window on a 4-door could be incorporated that would be quite fetching. That's how the 59 El Camino is. Difficult to accomplish though. Maybe Lexan instead of glass.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: August 04, 2020 08:54AM

My nephew came through with the 4 door to 2 door alteration retaining the stock wheelbase and the 4 door rear window. I had him use a factory 2 door as a basis for the door size but looking at it I would probably make it a bit shorter(1" to 2").

I'd think the average person wouldn't even notice and some in the Corvair community might be inclined to do a double take. A novelty, but would it be worth the effort?

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 04, 2020 10:28AM

wittsend Wrote:
> My nephew came through with the 4 door to 2 door alteration retaining the stock wheelbase and the 4 door rear window. I had him use a factory 2 door as a basis for the door size but looking at it I would probably make it a bit shorter(1" to 2").
>
> I'd think the average person wouldn't even notice and some in the Corvair community might be inclined to do a double take. A novelty, but would it be worth the effort?

I like it! thumbs up
I think you are correct, in that 99% of the people at a car show or cruise-in would never notice.
There are a few Corvair guys that wouldn't either, for that matter.
I know some LM guys who wouldn't even give an EM a first glance, let alone spend the time on a Double Take.
Would it be worth the effort?
That would entirely depend on YOU.
What would be you reason and purpose for doing it?
As an investment? Absolutely NOT. We all know that Corvairs are a losing proposition in that arena.
Just to prove it can be done? I wouldn't think so. Photoshop is good for that these days.
Do it because YOU WANT a Phantom Car that NO ONE else has? Maybe. Sounds like as good a reason as any to me! thumbs up cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: Curtis ()
Date: August 04, 2020 10:35AM

@wittsend Given EM sedans are very low value, it would be a good mod. However, not if someone starts with a EM Coupe to make one.

Curtis

64 Spyder Convertible
Milwaukee, Wi

Former Corvairs
62 Monza 900 Coupe (102/4)
64 Monza 900 Covertible (110/PG)
65 Monza Coupe (110/PG)
66 Monza Coupe (110/PG)
66 Monza Sedan (110/PG)

Date: August 05, 2020 01:38PM

The orange one is still in Tucson awaiting completion. It is on hold as plans have change regarding the final product.

Mike Lake
Tucson, Az
65 Corsa 180
65 Corsa 140 sold
66 Monza PG
66 Monza 4sp sold
61 Lakewood sold
61 La[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: August 05, 2020 06:10PM

W.E.
Thank your nephew for his talented renderings. The last one reminds of a big Chevy Bel Air two door sedan.

[cdn.barrett-jackson.com]

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.