Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT: Bushing material question
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 10, 2019 09:40PM

Plain bearing is more precise. I have a forklift that has big wheel bearings with a plain bearing inside the spindle that the axle goes through to drive a CV joint.
The differential is lubed with hypoid gear lube then there is a seal and then the plain bearing. The CV joint is lubricated through a grease fitting on the end of the stub axle on the outside.
I'm not sure what lubes the plain bearing and I can't find any service info on the forklift. It's a Pettibone Super 5. Pettibone is still around but they claim to have no info on it.
It is 2-11/16" OD x 2.25" ID x 1-5/16" length.
I haven't found any that size but I have found plenty that I can machine to fit.

Question is what should the plain bearing be made of? I've found lots of different materials.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: Bushing material question
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: July 11, 2019 05:28AM

From the description, it sounds like the bushing you are asking about is being used as a spacer and not as a friction surface. It may actually be there to use a larger i.d. bearing than would normally be needed. The easy thing to do is find out how hard the bushing is. File a small
section on your existing bushing, and do the same with a piece of mild steel.
If they file roughly the same, they are roughly the same hardness, so your new bushing only needs to be as hard as mild steel. It probably is not heat treated.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: July 11, 2019 08:16AM

It presses into the spindle and the axle spins in it. There are tapered roller bearings on the outside of the spindle and this bushing supports the axle on the inside of the spindle so the CV joint doesn't have to support the axle like it does in a car. It is bronze looking material. I should try to get some pictures.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: July 11, 2019 10:51AM

Pictures!

Joel
Northlake, TX

Attachments:

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: July 11, 2019 08:16PM

Test its hardness! if it is bronze/brass, (it doesn't look like it) then it is lubricated from grease, and will be easy to file, and easy to machine a copy of it. If it is hard and a magnet sticks to it, perhaps the best thing to do is have it spray welded, and reground back to its intended size instead of trying to make/ adapt another, It is a relatively inexpensive way to go for things like that if it is a suitable material for that process.
There is a harder magnetic version of Oilite type bushings, that are made for low sliding speeds, and it may be that is what it is. Sometimes you can heat them up and see if oil seeps out, if so, that would be the stuff to get.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Date: July 11, 2019 08:52PM

Good info. Thanks Kevin!

Joel
Northlake, TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.