Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ultravan #5
Posted by: owen ()
Date: July 10, 2019 05:13PM

I don't have any good overall pictures of unmodified V8 UV drivetrains. Here's Gary Baxter's #544 at the start of his redesign.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 10, 2019 05:17PM

Here's Victor Korte's #522 after he pulled the engine:

Attachments:

Date: July 10, 2019 05:22PM

Here's Robert Attema's #521. I have no idea if it is modified.

Attachments:

Date: July 10, 2019 05:32PM

Margaret Ullom's #552

Attachments:
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 10, 2019 08:34PM

That last picture is the only one with a Powerglide. I see a couple of TH350s and a 4L60.
The V8 suspension is a bad design. It has 3 fixed pivots so it binds. Lower link, half shaft and upper control arm. The only thing that keeps it from tearing apart is the give in the bushings.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Attachments:

Posted by: solo2r ()
Date: July 10, 2019 10:25PM

OMG that looks so unsafe! A turnbuckle for an upper link? [among other things]
INMHO,
Such a lot of work when they could have used a Toronado drivetrain with subframe and a reversed ring and pinion or the like

Date: July 10, 2019 10:37PM

One thing you can't see from these pictures is the crazy angle the trailing arm is at and for no good reason. They could have easily mounted it at least 2" lower in the front.
They did some factory retrofits with Toronados. Never could make them cool for some reason. I don't mind the drivetrain setup. Makes it really easy to install whatever you like. The V-drive does hang down really low. It needs a skid plate.

The turnbuckle isn't a problem, just the geometry. They should have built a real upper control arm and made the half shaft a slip joint.

The front is pretty stupid too. Nice cast aluminum lower control arms but the uppers are made with 2 of the same style turnbuckles to adjust the caster/camber but they have no pivot at the outer ball joint or at the bushings so all they can do is bend when you try to adjust them. They tend to be broken for this reason.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 10, 2019 10:39PM

Mark, I believe a few were made? And we know of a few also that were converted to Toro.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 11, 2019 06:18AM

Thanks for the photos Joel! Is that #530, or #532?

The V8 setup was designed by factory head engineer Chuck Burgess (Peterson had left the factory by '67 or '68). Chuck is better known as the General Manager of Luscombe Aircraft during WWII. He also designed the FWD Toronado powered Tiara motorhome from the ground up during the same time frame as the V8 UV.

There was only ever one Toronado powered UV that wasn't a conversion. It was FWD, probably a Burgess test mule that was rejected for production.

After the factory closed, Peterson converted about 24 existing coaches (mostly Corvair) to RWD Toronado power, using the existing suspension and a radiator behind the right rear wheel. Many of these were later converted to V6 after the 455s overheated. None are currently roadworthy, AFAIK.

Several other coaches were owner-converted to Toronado power, and at least three of these used the full Toronado subframe. Tony has one of these which is basically roadworthy but he is struggling with the cooling. Larry Forman has another that uses four radiators to cool adequately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2019 06:21AM by owen.

Date: July 11, 2019 08:09AM

Those pictures are 532. I'll try to get some A/C pictures later.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Date: July 11, 2019 08:11AM

You sent me this pic of 532 a while back:

Attachments:
Date: July 11, 2019 08:20AM

That's it.
Burgess seemed to have the opposite philosophy from Peterson. The V8 mounting cradle looks like they tried to make it as heavy as possible.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: stiffneck ()
Date: July 11, 2019 08:22AM

Nice Job Joel!

I like it!

1962 Rampside/Camper 110hp
1963 VW Ragtop Bug 40hp
1964 Corvair 900 Vert 140hp
1966 Corvair 4-door 110hp
1967 Ultravan #268 110hp

Date: July 11, 2019 10:50AM

A/C pictures

Joel
Northlake, TX

Attachments:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.