Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Entry light on LM 67 500
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 09, 2019 09:15AM

I just went and looked at my 69 500 and IT DOES have door jamb switches.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: July 09, 2019 10:17AM

When I was a Chevy parts-man in the mid 70's I sold several sets of door jamb switches to owners of base-model vehicles. They're an easy install since the holes are already in the door jamb.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: July 09, 2019 10:40AM

Regarding GEM: The narrative I got from my friend who got the car from the original family, was the buyer was very specific about what she wanted and did not want to pay for extraneous stuff. Therefore the 500 with AC and the 140. This makes sense that she may have requested door lights. GEM did sit in my friends lot from the 70's until I got it in '08. So it is relatively untouched. My friend parked it as it had oil leaks and the lower control arm bushings were shot. Therefore it had the low mileage - 20k or so when I got it. I mentioned to Phil in a PM another 500 we have does not have the light switches. Someone crudely ran speaker wires to the doors through the holes on that car. On those the original paint is in the holes so they were definitely there all along and punched prior to paint.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:09PM

Geoff
lower control arm bushings were shot. Therefore it had the low mileage - 20k

Is this a west coast thing, where rubber bushings go bad without actually wearing out from miles driven? Out here in the east I see Corvairs still running on the original lower control arm (and upper control arm) bushings all the time.

And if they are running regular plates, they get safety inspected every year. So if they were loose they would have failed inspection. Idler arms wear out more than any other part in the front. Well, except for the "pitman arm" bushing that is always bad....grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2019 08:10PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 09, 2019 10:31PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DEALER ADDED PARTS ARE ORIGINAL factory parts IF they chose to use them. I worked in a new car dealer back in the 80s and for awhile some parts manager thought he could do better with some aftermarket stuff. And that is what we installed ON NEW CARS. I have to agree with Frank on his reply stating some dealers would just add them to their cars to hoodwink the buyers into thinking they got more bang for the buck than if they went to a different dealer. BTW, interesting topic here.

Maybe I am slow on the uptake here, but it seems to me that if one dealer installs dome light switches on his door, and another one does not, the one that did, is not "Hoodwinking" his clientele at all, but rather truly IS providing "More Bang For The Buck" ! ! !
GM did not just hand-out those switches for free, and I am sure the service department employee did not volunteer his time to the company when he installed them.
SO, there was SOME capital outlay on the part of the dealer who went the extra step.
Please explain how this is "Hoodwinking" the buyer. confused smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 10, 2019 10:29AM

Well A. Mel, since the subject of price never came up in this topic, all the "selling" dealer had to do was con-vince the buyer his cars were (somehow) better than the competitions. Then the selling price could be higher (hence the term hoodwinked). As far as you being sure the service department employee not volunteering his time to the company, there sir you are mistaken. Many times I volunteered my time to help the company (the dealership) without remuneration.
This became (expected?) and realized which in turn gained favors within the politics of the dealer. ("Hey Tim, I have a problem. I need this done and can't pay you for it. But I have another [gravy] job that will have your name on it").
I hope this provides some clarity on what I was saying (when agreeing with what Frank was saying).

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: July 10, 2019 11:27AM

I have an unmolested a'66 500 which does not have door jam switches.
It does not have a glove box light either.
The wires are present for both the door switches and the box light in the dash harness. They are taped back to prevent them from shorting to ground.
I have always thought it was just another way for GM to save a dollar to make a 500 lower in price.
The holes are present for the door switches and they are painted and have rubber plugs.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2019 11:36AM by Ed Dowds.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 10, 2019 12:16PM

Ed...please post a picture of that door jamb.

I thing you just answered all of my questions.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: July 10, 2019 01:39PM

A 65 500 Coupe just left my garage a few weeks ago. The car was fairly original. Had door jamb switch holes, no switches. Factory paint (overspray) in the holes. Same comment on the wiring - no GB light, but wires were there.

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: July 11, 2019 06:42AM

Phil-
It will take a while. I am in the middle of moving and the Corvair is in my storage garage two towns away.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 11, 2019 07:33AM

I remember the interior dome light working only with the headlight switch on a couple of the 500's I had over the years.
The body's were made by Fisher. So its understandable that the holes for the jam switches were done by them and not the dealer.

A little OT, but there are a lot of examples of dealers installing the wrong year accessories on cars. Trim items like mirrors and factory accessory seat belts come to mind. I'm thinking that this was more a possibility at the end of a year run.

There was some discussion about FC door jam switches a while back. FC bodies were not made by Fisher. They were made by Chevrolet Truck. There apparently was never a pre drilled hole for door jam switches in the FC's.

Corventure Dave

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.