Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
power goes off completly
Posted by: jtshop ()
Date: July 07, 2019 03:44AM

Got a electrical problem with my 1964 Monza convertible.Went on a road trip, heading back early in the morning on HW 101 radio, GPS and high beams on. All of a sudden everything goes off, pitch dark, about 1-or2-seconds lights come back on, big backfire as the engine restarts, and off we go as if nothing had happened. Went on for 5 minutes happened again. Restarted as before. We pulled off at a rest area check out the main wires in the engine compartment,the connector at the battery was good, 12v main power plugin at the harness had been replaced already with a splice, both at the battery and the splice are new wires and were tight and cool to the touch. ?Waited till it got lighter, found that once I used low beam it only did it once or twice and rest of the trip home about 200miles with the lights off it did not cut out at all. I?m guessing it is at the fuse box. Any of you have had the same problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: power goes off completly
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 07, 2019 03:46AM

I would start with a new dimmer switch. Probably is rusted inside, creating a heavy drain on the battery.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 03:47AM by Lane66m.

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: July 07, 2019 04:07PM

Most likely cause is corrosion at the big plug where the engine harness plugs into the main body harness in the left front of the engine bay...big normally red wire feeds all the power to the car. This is a common issue. The same issue can occur at the front of the main harness where its big plug plugs into the dash harness, same big wire. Repair can be cleaning of corrosion, bypassing the plug externally with this wire, or the best is to replace the effected harnesses (if this wire is corroded others are as well). Dirty or corroded battery terminals can also cause this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 04:09PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: jtshop ()
Date: July 08, 2019 01:30PM

great thanks, I thought there is another plug, the engine one has been bypassed with a good splice. do you happen to know the location of the front plug? any pictures?
Thanks Jon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 05:21PM by MattNall.

Date: July 08, 2019 01:42PM

The plug at the front of the main harness is under the center of the dash where the main body harness comes up out of the tunnel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[www.facebook.com]

Date: July 08, 2019 03:21PM

You did not mention what car you have. If it is a 65 or later you should also check the junction where the feed wire comes off the battery to the plastic isolator on the left frame rail. It is important to say what car you are asking about as there are differences.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 08, 2019 03:41PM

TerribleTed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You did not mention what car you have. If it is a 65 or later you should also check the junction where the feed wire comes off the battery to the plastic isolator on the left frame rail. It is important to say what car you are asking about as there are differences.

Jon has a 64 Monza. See first line in his post.

Date: July 08, 2019 06:32PM

john.jackson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TerribleTed Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > You did not mention what car you have. If it is a 65 or later you should also check the junction where the feed wire comes off the battery to the plastic isolator on the left frame rail. It is important to say what car you are asking about as there are differences.
>
>
> Jon has a 64 Monza. See first line in his post.

Ok I was blind when I re read it.... He is lucky one less place to inspect thensmiling smiley

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 06:33PM by TerribleTed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.