Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Passed on the 60 Ebay 700, bought this instead....
Posted by: Eurotech1 ()
Date: July 06, 2019 11:34PM

Found a really nice one owner '61 Monza through a friend, contacted me about the time the bidding on the green '60 700 coupe went past my predetermined max bid. The '60 had issues needing attention, and after considering what it would take to make the car a reliable driver, AND correct the incorrect items on the car, once the bidding reached $5300, I was out of the running. The car ended up bringing $6500. I couldn't, in clear conscience, go that high and feel good about it, knowing I would be spending another $2k, just to make it a good driver.
My buddy, Roddy, called me the day the bid went over my max. I had known him from my previous Corvair days in the '80s, had called him the week before, telling him I was serious, this time, I was getting back into 'Vairs. Apparently, he knew of this '61 from an obscure classic car trader site, and kept it in mind, and thought to call me on it that weekend.
I called the owner, got a voicemail, left a message. Didn't really expect a call back, the pics looked great, but figured the price ($4995) had to be a misprint. Surprise, my call was returned in about thirty minutes. Turns out, it was his father-in-law's car, he had passed away some years earlier, and basically the car sat in the basement garage of his house from 1985, until 2014, when the owner's daughter had her husband bring the car to their house, so they could clear out the house and liquidate his property. The husband took it to a friend who took it into his shop and went over the car, and basically refurbished all the major systems. He had it about six months, and during that time, replaced the fuel tank, sending unit, some lines, fuel pump and rebuilt the carbs. then he pulled the wheels, did all the brakes, new wheel cylinders, hoses, shoes, hardware, and a new master cylinder, and turned the drums. He replaced all the suspension bushings, front and rear, and installed new springs all around. Only tie rod ends were needed, ball joints and idler arm were tight as new. All wheel bearings were replaced, and both halfshafts rebuilt. Five tires, including spare were installed. New complete exhaust was installed. New heater duct hoses were installed, back to front, engine was given a thorough tune up, with new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, points and condenser. A new correct Interstate battery was installed. Pushrod tubes were resealed, and new bellows were installed on the air doors. Some years prior to his death, the original owner had repainted the car himself, and had redone the interior himself, as well. His daughter told me he loved to tinker, and was always doing something to the Corvair. She recalled being driven to school in it, and her and her husband had gone out on dates in it, prior to getting married. She said the car had been bought new by her father, right there in Morganton, and her mother used to drive it to work. She said, to her knowledge, the car had never been outside Morganton its entire life. After it came back from the shop, it was only driven a few miles about once a month, to keep everything in working order. It was stored on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting. They finally decided to sell it, and now I've bought it to add to my permanent collection.
I couldn't have bought a better car for the money, most of the items that I would have had to attend to, have been done. It made the 218 mile trip to Lenoir City, with only one minor issue. As I got off the Interstate on my exit, it died. I was imagining all sorts of serious maladies that may have befallen my new car. I pulled over to the shoulder, opened the engine lid. First thing, checked the oil. It was close to the add mark, but was clean. Popped the air cleaner tops. Operated the carb linkage. No squirt of fuel! Out of gas?! I was showing a solid 1/4 tank left! I called my Dad, who had driven me to pick up the car, and had followed me back, until he reached his exit in Knoxville, and headed to his home, as I had no issues, to that point. My brother was going to bring me some fuel, and give that a go. I looked about the engine compartment, and noticed a couple of rub marks on the fuel lines, from the belt apparently. I grabbed the fuel lines, and they, along with the fuel pump, MOVED! I was thinking, 'WTF?!', and then I pushed down on the fuel pump, and what had happened, immediately became apparent! I checked the pump retaining bolt, and it had backed almost all the way out! I pushed the pump back in, and screwed the bolt back in, until it was snug in the groove on the fuel pump, and tightened the jam nut as tight as I could. I tried cranking it over for several minutes, but couldn't get it primed. About that time, a State Trooper pulled up behind me, and a D.O.T. Roadside Assistance truck right behind him. Then my brother arrived and pulled in front of me. The Trooper and R.A. tech were asking all sorts of questions about the car, neither had seen a Corvair in years. The R.A. tech had wrenches and a can of fuel, so I tightened the pump bolt and jam nut, then poured some fuel in the carbs, and after a couple of tries, finally got it started again.
I got home, and was never happier to be in the cool A/C of my house! It had been in the upper 80s going up to North Carolina, in a non-air conditioned truck, and it was hotter, coming back, mid to upper 90s. Plus, there is an issue with my heater doors, it was blowing hot air through the sill vents, right by my feet, the whole way. Something I have yet had time to diagnose. the clutch is a bit grabby, wants to shudder when pulling away from a dead stop, or backing up. Probable oil leakage from the input shaft getting on the clutch. Had that issue with a '65 500 coupe I used to own. Even though the pushrod tubes were sealed, there are still oil leaks. I will have to pull the engine soon, and address those issues. The car drives smooth and tight as a new car, with no rattles, squeaks or strange noises. Everything works, except for the windshield washers and the back up lamps. All in all, I feel like I got a real bargain. It is definitely a blast to drive, and it turns heads everywhere I go. I'm very happy to be back behind the wheel of a Corvair.

Christopher

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Passed on the 60 Ebay 700, bought this instead....
Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: July 06, 2019 11:52PM

Wow, that is pretty.
You did well or as Matt
would say ... Score!

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Date: July 07, 2019 12:25AM

Thanks, Dan. I'm pretty stoked over the car, the color combo really grabbed me, when I saw it. It just looked 'right', you know? When I found out about all the work that had been done, I couldn't believe they were willing to take a loss on it. They said they spent over $6k on all the work.It still needs a few things, proper full reseal, clutch and so on. Oh yeah, and that heat issue, I REALLY need to fix that! It gets HOT and HUMID in East Tennessee in the summer, and hot air blowing on you, on top of that, is NO fun!! Evidently their mechanic must have left the heat door cable unhooked, and the door WFO!

Christopher

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: July 07, 2019 12:39AM

Christopher, I would be stoked too,
plus I would be very proud to
drive that beauty. Have lots of fun.

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: July 07, 2019 05:13AM

Pretty car, like the color combo.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 07, 2019 06:37AM

I like it. For some reason the Cordoba "rich Corinthian leather" commercial came to mind.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 07, 2019 07:16AM

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like it. For some reason, the Cordoba "rich Corinthian leather" commercial came to mind.
====================================================

But Jim... the RCL was on "da plane boss, da plane" !!! ""

[youtu.be]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 07, 2019 08:59AM

Hi Christopher and WELCOME BACK to the wonderful world of Corvairs! You talk too much (just kidding- I read every word you typed).
Nice find and looks like a good car if you can drive it 200+ miles right out of the gate especially after sitting so long.
Take a vacation in a couple of weeks and come up to the Chicago area for our Corvair Convention. Of course you will want to
join or rejoin your local Corvair club as well as our international club CORSA. We had the convention in Knoxville a few years ago.
It was our first time in Tenn. and we thoroughly enjoyed the I-40 corridor. Nashville rocks. Memphis was a blast too.
Again, WELCOME BACK.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 07, 2019 11:01AM

Are you a distant relative of j3m?

Joking...we tease people a lot here.

Know it's because we love you man.

I am a L/M guy but...NICE CAR!!!

Date: July 07, 2019 12:00PM

Thanks everyone,
I don't mind a bit of teasing, I drive a Corvair, after all, right? I have rejoined Corsa, and the local chapter is still active. I have been on a bit of a car buying binge, replacing some of my Japanese cars, with a few select GM cars, I also recently bought a 49,000 mile '68 Toronado. I wanted to have four particular GMs in my collection that were significant as milestone cars, or otherwise technologically, or historically significant. The other two I plan to purchase are a '76 Cosworth Vega, and a '70 Camaro RS/Z28. I have to liquidate a few cars, so I can have enough room for covered storage for the GM cars. I plan on retiring in the next five to six years, so wanted to get the cars that appealed most to me lined up, so I could have some fun during my Golden Years. I am currently an OTR truck driver, working for Toyota Tsusho Group, so I'm only home on the weekends, which rather curtails my car activities. But, I do manage to find time. Glad to be a part of the group, will look forward to talking with you guys.

Christopher

'Yeah, I've got room, I'll put those two in the back yard, and that one over by the garden shed...'
Too many projects, too little time!

'61 Monza coupe 98/4 spd 65,000 mi.
'68 Olds Toronado 49,000 mi.
'91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
AWD, 4WS Turbo Rally Car
'75 Suzuki RE5 Rotary
'74 Toyota Hi Lux pickup
'92 Misubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo
'94 Suzuki Swift GTi hot hatch
'92 Mitsubishi Galant base mdl beater
'01 Acura CL
'89 Honda Prelude 2.0Si

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: July 07, 2019 06:17PM

Eurotech1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I am currently an OTR truck driver, working for Toyota Tsusho Group, so I'm only home on the weekends, which rather curtails my car activities. >
> Christopher

After crossing the country several times in our full size motorhome, every state but ND, I have gained a lot of respect for OTR drivers. Mostly courteous and professional, both on the road and at truck stops.

Best wishes with you plans, 14 years of retirement for me this year. Don't know where I found time to work.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: July 08, 2019 01:38PM

Thanks J.O.,

I do remain courteous on the road, in spite of the behavior of some of the #*!!@%&# drivers out there that think they own the road! It definitely isn't an easy job, and I'm a single dad on top of that. Couldn't have done it without the help of my parents, I'm very blessed to have parents like them! Glad to be back in the Corvair scene, they're fun, unique cars. Hope to eventually get mine to near showroom condition, but I'll still drive it! No car of mine will ever be a trailer queen!

Christopher

'Yeah, I've got room, I'll put those two in the back yard, and that one over by the garden shed...'
Too many projects, too little time!

'61 Monza coupe 98/4 spd 65,000 mi.
'68 Olds Toronado 49,000 mi.
'91 Mitsubishi Galant VR4
AWD, 4WS Turbo Rally Car
'75 Suzuki RE5 Rotary
'74 Toyota Hi Lux pickup
'92 Misubishi Eclipse GSX Turbo
'94 Suzuki Swift GTi hot hatch
'92 Mitsubishi Galant base mdl beater
'01 Acura CL
'89 Honda Prelude 2.0Si

Posted by: MonzaJPD61 ()
Date: July 08, 2019 08:08PM

Looks like you have a great find. Enjoy!

B'ham, AL
1961 Monza coupe 98hp, 4spd
1963 Monza coupe 102hp, pg
Vulcan Corvair Enthusiasts

Posted by: thumper477 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 10:52AM

Nice car! Where are you in e tn?

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: July 10, 2019 11:09AM

Your car looks beautiful! Job well done.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: July 10, 2019 04:06PM

Hello Thumper,

I'm in Lenoir City, a few miles west of Knoxville.

Christopher

Date: July 10, 2019 04:28PM

Thanks Setterz,

That's what attracted me, initially, the color scheme just LOOKS EM, fits the car so well.
Even though the PO did tons of work to it, there are still things it needs, before it's officially an ironclad 'drive it anywhere, with no fear' driver. First and foremost is to pull the powertrain, do a full reseal and install a new clutch, engine shroud seals, and a fan bearing. For comfort's sake, need to find out why hot air is scorching my feet from the sill heater vents, regardless of the heat knob position. Other than those things, car is great, drives smooth,tight,and straight, very quiet, no rattles, squeaks or any unusual noises, almost like a new car. I'm very happy with it.

Christopher

Date: July 10, 2019 04:38PM

Hello MonzaJPD61,

I have definitely been enjoying it, sparingly, until I have time to finish sorting out a few foibles. It's a pretty solid car, only a couple of spots where a little bit of rust is trying to bubble out. I'll get the mechs sorted, then attend to the cosmetics. It looks like your '63 is the same color combo! Nice!

Christopher

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.