Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Failed inspection at the DMV over tail lights in my EM
Posted by: blue hen ()
Date: July 04, 2019 03:26AM

Guy wouldn't pass me because my center lights were not working. I told him I don't think they were supposed to be on since they are reverse lights.

My blinker was out in the rear. I had a bulb in the glove box and they normally will let it slide if you tell them you'll change it. BUt my brake lights weren't working properly. They would flicker on and off I think I have a flaky brake light switch. Is that a common issue? I've never had that happen in a GM car from the era.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Failed inspection at the DMV over tail lights in my EM
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 04, 2019 03:35AM

Flickering lights may be poor ground at the bulb socket, also. You can remove the brake switch connector and insert a wire jumper to see if the still flicker. If they do, check connector in engine compartment for cleanliness of the pins. Still doing it, go to the bulb sockets and wiggle them to see if you can get a better ground.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: July 04, 2019 06:24AM

I have had multiple issues with my rear lights (brake, tail, and or reverse on my EM). I finally broke down and provided wire grounds for all the sockets.

The Brake/tail bulbs are easier to add a ground without making too many irreversible alterations. I use a properly sized hoseclamp to clamp a stripped portion of my ground wire onto the outside of the bulb socket. Then run that wire to a small hole drilled in the diagonal bumper cross brace in fender/wheelwell area. The only drilling is on the removeable brace.

For the reverse lights, I had to drill small holes for groundwires in the corners of the engine compartment; and also run those ground wires back through the wire grommet. So grounding the reverse lights was not as nice and pretty a job as the brake/tail, but I did it anyway because I was so tired of not having lights!!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 04, 2019 06:37AM

Another "fix" is to take a small drill 1/16" or smaller and drill thru the BRASS.

The bulb socket is two pieces. It relies on the clean connection of them touching.

Use a DVM from inside the brass socket to the silver metal...SB less than 0.4 ohm.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2019 06:39AM by MattNall.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 04, 2019 08:45AM

Hose clamp method doesn't work on undercoated tail lamp sockets, so if it is undercoated, scraping a small place clean on the brass (socket is plated brass) and soldering a 18 or so awg wire there and attach like T says.

Lucky the reverse lamp sockets are more protected from road grime, so usually they are not an issue of the aluminum to brass shell connection going bad, nor is getting the aluminum housing to ground to the body.

But as T points out, it does happen.sad smiley

FCs also have the brass to aluminum problem, so adding ground wire to them is also a great idea.

Late models need #4 short sheet metal screw driven through the plastic to keep the actual metal socket from sliding out of the plastic housing. Quicker than replacing them with Chrysler style all metal sockets.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 04, 2019 09:03AM

IF its a bad ground on the back end, wouldn't the turn signals not function?

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 04, 2019 09:20AM

Correct. If the turn signals work properly it is 99% chance a bad brake light switch.
On grounding EM housings I install a small screw in the crimp joint between the socket and housing. I haven't had real issues with the housing grounding to the body but I don't live in the Arctic Circle like a lot of you guys.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: July 04, 2019 10:25AM

Jumped the connectors at the switch, lights worked. smacked the switch with back of screwdriver. Now all seems fine. Probably need switch in the future.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 04, 2019 11:06AM

I agree. I like the quick check & fix. No need to waste time jumping around the car looking.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: July 06, 2019 01:27PM

I went again and the guy tells me the passenger brake light isn't working. Went in the parking lot and pulled off the lens cover and wiggled the bulb, it was hot... I then had a guy hit my brakes for me and got right back in line....

And I passed! Got me a 2 year sticker. I was going to get a black tag but said f it. SO now just going to keep my blue tag. I kinda wanted my old number but I'm not going to deal with the zoo on 7/9 when dmv is releasing 5 digit numbers...

Date: July 06, 2019 08:13PM

I didn't know California had any inspection of safety related items (emission, yes), judging by what I see driving in the street on TV shows.

Is it regional, only when first registering (Maryland does that), or ????confused smiley

One weird item I know of from a California friend is he could not have working spotlights on his car. He was amazed My Graham has one that works.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 06, 2019 10:29PM

I'm in Delaware. I only have to pass the lights, vin check and brakes portion. they don't even check headlight aim any more at the new DMV.

People always tell me to get an antique tag. But those really dont let you drive them unless you are going to an event or parade. I'm an insurance lawyer so I've seen carriers deny coverage to people who were using the old car for general pleasure or transportation use. Bad outcomes occur from bad things that happen at the worst possible time. People say just tell them you are going to a show. Well if you get into a collision and god forbid people get hurt, no way am I going to commit insurance fraud. Not worth it. I'll just get a regular tag and ALL the insurance (um, uim, pip umbrella, disability etc,) I can afford.

Delaware people have a thing about the old black tags. But you need a 5 digit tag number and you need to buy the tag from a vendor. Some numbers go for ridiculous money, particularly the single and two digit tags. (500K and up.) Every couple of years the dmv opens up the old numbers and gives them out first come first serve.

Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: July 07, 2019 08:48AM

This what I did to stop the weird acting tail lights on my EM. The pictures show backup lights. I converted them to tail/stop lights. Now I have four tail/stop lights. After I did this no more problems.

Go to pep Boys and get their three wire snap in socket.

Using a Dremel tool grind out the out tail light socket. I would practice on an old one first.

Install three wire socket bend the snap tabs to lock the socket in.

Seal the back side with silicon.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 08:49AM by rlp11.

Attachments:

Date: July 07, 2019 06:52PM

Ah Ha! Those Black Plates!

I think it is funny when I see a modern car here with the DEL black plates. They look much better on older cars.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: July 08, 2019 07:20AM

In NC, no inspection required on cars over 35 years old..

64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
2002 Chev 1500
1996 Impalla SS
Eastern NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.