Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
dual master cylinder install
Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: July 03, 2019 10:55PM

Hi everybody, this is my first post here! After trying multiple times, and reading through the FAQ's a lot I finally have pictures.

Anyway I am upgrading my 64 convertible with a new dual master cylinder. I bought the cylinder from the Corvair Ranch; it is new and what they use on customer cars. I don't know what the cross reference part would be to buy one from your local parts store, but the part number is 36233MCM should anyone want to look that up.

This job definitely requires a flaring tool and tubing cutter! The original single port MC used 7/16 threads into a 1/4 line. The new dual MC has 9/16 thread at the rear port (front brakes) and 1/2 thread at the front port (rear brakes). Due to the availability of the flare nuts my local Napa had, I am using 3/16 line for both the front and rear ports. the original setup was 1/4 tubing into 3 ports at 3/16, and I am now changing to 3/16 into 2 3/16 ports for the front brakes (the rear goes directly into the existing 3/16 line).

The original junction block has that 7/16 thread inlet, but 3 3/8 thread outlets to the RF, LF and rear line. So... I had to get a nice assortment of flare nuts from my local Napa. I am dry fitting the MC while I sort out the plumbing.

My list of parts:

9/16 flare nut for MC rear port
7/16 flare nut for rear port into junction block
1/2 to 3/8 adapter for front port line (to rear brakes)
3/8 union to attach rear line out of MC to existing line to rear brakes
3/8 plug going into junction block where real line originally was

3/16 brake tubing 20" and 30" that I will need to cut to whatever sizes and flare nuts needed.

I appologise for the long post and the job is not done yet- I'm just getting started, but hope to finish this weekend! I will update with more photos and feedback along the way!

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dual master cylinder install
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: July 04, 2019 03:33AM

WELCOME!!!

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 04, 2019 03:39AM

Welcome.

For a project, dual master brake cylinder may seem daunting, but it is just a time consuming one.

ps: when you can, add a signature line to show your city and state. Their may be people close to help when you a couple of helping hands.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: July 04, 2019 06:58AM

So this is my car... I am adding the picture here so I can get the URL to make a signature I hope...

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 04, 2019 07:05AM

That's the way to do it... But please make the picture 50% of what it is now.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 04, 2019 10:13AM

OK, so moving right along:

The lines to the MC are plumbed, the line to the rear has a hole drilled and a nice grommet to finish the package.

The second picture shows the plug at the junction block and the union connecting the existing line going to the rear.

I finally have a signature photo as well!!! My computer does not show the "mountians" or "globe" incons in the edit files section like the instructions refer to in adding the URL file. I just manually typed in the before and after the URL link and now I have a signature photo!!

So now it is time for blood ...er I mean bleeding the lines....

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 04, 2019 12:17PM

Nice install!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 04, 2019 02:14PM

In the picture of the flaring tool, I did not see the parts to make the inverted flare needed for brake lines.

Single flare is not legal, as it splits easier at the flare. Yes, after it is in service!eye popping smiley

See this video:

[www.youtube.com]

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: TheRealHip ()
Date: July 05, 2019 11:34AM

He needs a chicken or something in the background.......

Date: July 08, 2019 06:33AM

I looked at the picture I included, and I guess the little button that first squishes the flare into a ring is not included. My tool is a double flaring tool though.

The tool uses a little button with a ring shaped depression to form the initial curl and contour of the flare. Then I use the cone to flare out the inside after removing the button piece. Don't want to confuse people out there. Good catch Frank!

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 08, 2019 06:59AM

Excellent. (Picture of Mr. Burns here).

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.