Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Clutch Pulley
Date: July 03, 2019 02:18AM

Hello together.

I am a German Corvair Driver. My Car is 1961 Corvair 900 Monza Coupe with a 1962 Turbo Charged Motor.

I´ve bought the full retaurated Corvair last Winter. It´s a wonderful Car in Red/White. It´s been restaurated from a man over 3 Jears. Many, many work.

Now, in the last 3 Weeks, i have Problems with the Clutch Pulley behind the Clutch Pedal. I is twice broken in a few Days. First the Original, second a 3 D printed Piece build by a friend. I think that a Clutch Pulley from Platic ist not strong enough for the Clutch Cable.

I has read in this Forum, that you have also those Problems!! And what did you against it??

Have you got Tips, Ideas or Solutions for me. I want drive with this Car, not repair every two weeks the Clutch Pulley :-(

I hope you can help to solve the Problems.

Please write me and send me perhaps Fotos or so.

Thanks a lot from Germany.

Michael

Michael

1961 Corvair 900 Monza Coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clutch Pulley
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 03, 2019 03:39AM

Get with Roger Parent (rip11 on this forum) and get his aluminum pulley.

[corvaircenter.com]

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: July 03, 2019 05:15AM

The stock pulley seems to work good, it's not like I see many failures. I suppose the original failing after 50 years could be considered acceptable. I would wonder about the quality of material in some 3D printer thing but it's not anything I'm familiar with.
An aluminum pulley sounds good.
I'm not a big fan of most work under the dash including the cotter pin in that pulley.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: July 04, 2019 12:49AM

Thank you for your Tips. I think Aluminium is much better than Plastic. I´m in Contact with Roger Parent. He is constructing Pulleys from Aluminium. I hope it will be the best solution.

Michael

Attachments:

Posted by: roger65180 ()
Date: July 04, 2019 04:37AM

nice car I like it

Roger R
Madison Wi
62 ct pg turbo
65intercooled 180 4sp,autocrosser
62 Rampy

Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: July 04, 2019 07:22AM

It's odd that you said you already had a 3D aluminum pulley break? Nevermind- the 3D pulley you made was plastic...

But to my original thought: Are we sure that the clutch cable pulleys are in alignment or that the cable is routed properly? My car still has the original pulley, but I have taken things apart and lubed them, and when doing that years ago, I found the clutch cable had been rubbing over a brake line or something like that in the tunnel area.

When the pevious owners were putting things together, the slackened cable had tangled on the wrong side of some obstructions (I don't remember exactly what). The cable wasn't binding much since in the tunnel it was far from contact points and the deflection was minimal. The deflection on the poorly routed/bent brake line was causing drag on the cable.

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: July 04, 2019 08:01AM

WOW, that is a nice ride!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Date: July 04, 2019 08:03AM

@TGriffin

Hello.

You are right. The Part from the 3 D Printer was also Plastic.

Unfortunately, it has also broken after a short time. I dont now wether the Clutch Cabel is rigt moves.

Now i have orderd "New" used Pulleys by California Corvair. But i am afraid, the these Parts also quick breaks like the others.

You can be right, that the Clutch Cabel is not good running from the Motor behind to the Clutch Pedal in the Front. Can i anyhow put it on the right Way?
Is it adjustably?? Or must i corret about Feeling??

I have bought this Car before 3 Month and i now only a little bit about his Technic. So i search Help here for my Problem. I read here in this Forum you know many Problems and Solutions.

In Germany is this Car very seldom. I read there are only 50 Corvairs on German Streets. So it is difficultly to find here somebody, who nows much about Corvairs.

Can you tell me what is behind the Clutch Pedal? Is there a Screw Mother?? Is she weldet there?? If she can freed herself?

How can i develop the Clutch Pedal to find this Part??

Thanks for your Help.

Michael

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 04, 2019 08:35AM

Clutch cable is not frayed? If it is not frayed, then maybe the pulley just broke. This is not a common failure, but 50 year old parts do bad things now and then.

I would go with the pulley you are getting from California Corvairs and see how long it lasts, hopefully another 50 years.

And buy the aluminum one and keep as a spare. This will insure the nylon one will not break!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 05, 2019 01:03AM

@ Frank

Hi,
the Clutch Cable is Ok and not frayed. Only the Pulley is twice broken. First the Original (i dont know how old it was) and then the Plastic Pulley Copy from a 3 D Printer. Maybe it was not solidy and strong enough.

I´m not certainly about the Screw in the Pulley? Can it be, that the mother or the Shell of the Screw on the other Side of the Clutch Pedal is broken or crooked?

I think then the Pulley is not correct in the Position and so the Cable runs to hard. What do you think??

Has anybody Fotos from the Clutch Pedals and the Pulley? Maybe some Fotos from the other Side of the Clutch and Break Pedal? I can´t see this Side.

How can i develop the Pedals???

Thanks for Answers and Fotos.

Michael

1961 Monza 900 Coupe

Attachments:
Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: July 05, 2019 08:54AM

Was your clutch easy to push down? Or does it have a heavy duty pressure plate ?

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: rlp11 ()
Date: July 05, 2019 09:17AM

Michael

Can you take a picture of the clutch pulley under the dash. I know it is a bit hard to get to but we may see something that will help with your problem.

I had a pulley fail and it was caused by a broken pulley mounting bracket. Put side pressure on the pulley each time you pushed the pedal down.

Roger Parent
El Cajon, CA
1964 Monza Driver
1964 Monza Project

Date: July 05, 2019 11:52AM

@Roger.

I try to make a good Photo. But i can do it tomorrow because i am Not at Home today.

I Think there is something more broken then only the Pulley.
I hope you can see it on the Photos.

Michael

Date: July 05, 2019 11:55AM

@Dan

The Pedal was easy to push.

Michael

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: July 05, 2019 05:37PM

Whats the condition of this pulley? it is under the floor, or "unter dem boden"
smiling smiley

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Attachments:
Date: July 07, 2019 06:50AM

@ Roger

Here are some Photos with the broken Pulley and some Photos without the broken Pulley. There you can see the Mother of the Screw behind the Pedal.

Can you see something what´s there not OK??

Michael

Attachments:

Date: July 07, 2019 06:51AM

@ Roger

More Photos

Attachments:

Date: July 07, 2019 06:58AM

@ Kevin

I havent see this Pulley in Your Photo at my Car.

Is it under the Car?? Or under the Carpet??

If its under the Car:
I have no Heave stage. I´m waiting for a Friend. He has a Heave Stage. Then i can look under the Car to this 3 rd Pulley.

If its under the Carpet:
I must solve the Carpet!!??

Michael

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 07, 2019 07:06AM

It is under the car and the panel must be removed.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 07, 2019 07:10AM

Thank You Matt.

I will lift the Car up and look for the 3 rd. Pulley.

Michael

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.