Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Back To Work. cool smiley
Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: September 13, 2021 01:02AM

I took some time off from working on my dads car and took a road trip, hung out with family, and mowed the lawn!
When working on the engine it felt like I was taking one step forward and two steps back because I was fixing the previous owners short cuts. Some shortcuts were just annoying (stripped threads, silicone all over) and other were more serious (loose exhaust tubes, heads not deflashed, chipped harmonic balancer). So, I decided to work on the brakes (or lack there of) and front suspension.

I dropped the front suspension so I can put a rebuilt unit I have that Chet helped me rebuild about 15 years ago...yes 15 years.
Here is the reason why: I was driving down Palomar Mountain from a weekend trip and when I pulled into a parking lot, my passengers side ball joint let loose...ripped apart. Luckily, the Coyote Corvair Club meeting was the next weekend and Chet offered to help. After work I drove to his place to help him (more like ask a ton a questions and play with his dogs!) rebuild a front suspension.

The suspension has aftermarket quick steer arms and I am not sure if pairing them with the factory quick steer box will result in too much bump steer, but we will soon find out.

Harry Moore

66 Monza Sedan 140/PG (first car ever)
67 Monza Coupe 110/4sp/ with A/C (Inherited from my dad)

Southern California USA - where palm trees don't change color!

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Steering Column Gray Cylindrical Ridged Part
Date: September 13, 2021 12:02PM

I have looked in the 1965 shop manual, the 1967 supplement, as well as, the 1967 assembly manual, but can't find a diagram or reference to the cylindrical ridged sleeve on the lower steering shaft.

Can anyone tell me what the name and what it does? It seems odd that it is just hanging out on the shaft.

As a side note, you might notice the access hole has been tweaked towards the front of the car by the pervious owner to gain access to either the hose clamps on the tank or the bolt on the steering shaft clamp.
In the steering section (section 9) under the heading Steering Gear of the 1967 supplement it mentions "It is not necessary to drill an access hole in the splash shield for access to the steering gear and coupling as in 1966"

I guess it depends on how large of a wrench is used?

Harry Moore

Attachments:

Speedometer Cable Replacement
Date: September 14, 2021 11:52PM

A while back I noticed the speedometer cable was broken in half, so while visiting David from The Source I picked up a reconditioned cable from him - this was a complete cable including the inner cable and the outer sheathing. It also came with the clip that holds the cable to the brake hose bracket.

What it did not include was the grommet for the toe pan - the location where the cable passes from the interior to the exterior of the car. This grommet has a molded in metal disk with three tabs that click into the hole - it is the same concept as the accelerator boot and its round retainer clip.

My original one was sort of good (chewed a little by a mouse maybe), so I wanted to use it. I tried cutting the grommet with a pair of wire snips and that did not work. So I took out my small Dremel tool and used a very thin cut off disk to slice the grommet. I went slow and it worked well. There is a slight gap in the grommet but it works well for Southern California!

With the suspension and fuel tank out this was a simple job and is one of those things that just make you feel a bit better.smileys with beer

Harry Moore

Attachments:

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.