Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: 12 Years Of Separation….
Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: December 03, 2020 11:13PM

It has been two weeks since my dad died and I wanted to share a few life lessons with the group in the hope that one person will find them valuable.

[*] Don't wait until your in pain! My dad waited until the pain was so bad he could not walk and was starting to black out. By the time the pain is this bad, whatever you have is advanced. For my dad it was lung cancer that spread to his bones, liver, lymph nodes, ect. So please get check ups when you feel fine. Catching things early is great!!

[*] Have a medical advocate! Over a year ago my dad went to the VA because he was having some breathing issues. They took an X-ray and never called him back. That X-ray showed two SMALL SPOTS in his lungs (early detection)! But my dad's primary care physician moved on, his records were transferred to another doctor, that doctor was busy, and my dad was lost in the shuffle. My dad never followed up because he believed the doctors would have called him if there was something wrong...its their job...they're doctors. My dad needed an advocate for medical stuff...a person who would challenge a doctor, ask tough questions, and demand great care. So, if your the type of person who needs an advocate please ask someone for help...it just might save your life!

[*] Help with the end of life! Death can be a scary thing, but to help someone who is dying die HOW THEY WANT is very rewarding. My dad wanted to be in his 5th wheel, watching re-runs of Maverick and Stargate 1, no tubes or hoses or bags coming out of him. He didnt want strange people in strange places taking care of him. It feels so so so so so so good to know my sister and I gave him the end of life he wanted!! Even if I had to use a saws all to make room for the hospital bed. smiling smiley

And one more thing, both my mom and dad know 100% the answer to the greatest mystery on earth...what happens after humans die.

7.5 billion humans believe they know.

My dad and I wondered if humans become like Q from Star Trek The Next Generation - a TV show my dad and I would always make time for (he was a bigger fan of the original Star Trek, but he always watch TNG with me).

I LOVE YOU DAD!

Harry Moore

66 Monza Sedan 140/PG (first car ever)
67 Monza Coupe 110/4sp/ with A/C (Inherited from my dad)

Southern California USA - where palm trees don't change color!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 11:18PM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 04, 2020 12:38AM

So sorry to hear of your fathers passing.
I am glad to know that you and your sister did all you could to help him through it, and that doing so has helped you to feel good about this event.
No matter how peaceful the passing, I know that you will carry the pain of this loss for the rest of your life.
It may diminish with time, but will never fully go away.
Parents are not just the people who raised you, but are a part of you.
When we loose family, a piece of us dies too.
I am saddened by your loss, and offer my sincerest condolences.
sad smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: Rcavictor ()
Date: December 04, 2020 03:30AM

Harry, I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking care of you father and also sharing your thoughts!

Prayerfully,

Rob
Ocklawaha FL

'66 Monza Coupe 4spd 140, Regal Red
‘64 Spyder Coupe, Maaco Rootbeer (orig Almond Fawn)
'64 Monza convertible 4spd 180 turbo, Daytona Blue
'62 Greenbrier 8-door, 'very patinaed' Crystal Turquoise Blue
‘62 Loadside, Glenwood Green
‘61 Loadside, Cardinal Red

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: December 04, 2020 03:33AM

X2 ^^ Well said Mel.

Chad Guthrie
Rives Junction, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: December 04, 2020 04:09AM

Harry, I am so sorry about your dad. I am glad you got to spend his final days doing things together. Those are wonderful memories that you will always have.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 04, 2020 07:58AM

So sorry to hear this. He was up and around in your videos..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: December 04, 2020 01:19PM

Thanks for sharing Harry. You're in my prayers.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Fan Crack, Oil Leaks, and Dirty Shrouds!
Date: June 04, 2021 01:10PM

My goal is to drive my dads car to VairFest...sounds like an event he would have loved going to!!

Taking a drive from his old house to Olive Garden is one thing, but driving for 3 hours is another thing. I just want to share some of the things I am working on.

The major items to repair are:
    [*] Brakes - only the rear work. I am replacing EVERYTHING from the brake cylinder, to the steel lines, to the wheel cylinders. Should stop on a dime when I am done!
    [*] Oil Leaks - anywhere it can leak it does. Replacing valve cover, oil pan, fan cover, oil cooler, and o-rings
    [*] Shifter - new bushings, new brass sleeve, and coupling
    [*] Fuel Pump - installing an in tank pump from The Source
    [*] Misc. Rubber - brake pedal, door seals, grommets, etc..

My Clarks order should arrive on Monday and I have taken the shrouds off to clean them and deflash the heads. It is amazing how blocked the heads are....they have never been deflashed!

Here is a VIDEO of where I am at right now.

One surprise I had was the magnesium fan...yep its cracked! When inspecting the fan bearing housing, it looks like there are small cracks or fissures where the bearing was installed. I don't have others to look at and was wondering if this is normal or was the bearing inserted with too much force and in the wrong manner?

Thoughts?

Harry Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2021 01:18PM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:

Date: June 04, 2021 02:28PM

That crack in the fan, is not good.
But the "cracks" in the top-cover, look more like casting shrinkage to me.
Maybe someone else will chime in, bit I think you are okay with the top-cover.
The fan should be replaced though, for sure.

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: June 04, 2021 03:44PM

If you are considering replacing the fan blower bearing too, then you might consider the "pre-installed bearing and top cover unit" from Clark's.

Factoring in the core value, not including return shipping, you get the benefit of a professionally installed bearing and hub into a good top cover for almost the same cost of just the bearing & hub.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Engine Bolts, Silicone Sealant, and New Parts
Date: June 08, 2021 12:45AM

Well this weekend did not turn out as well as I was hoping and with just over two weeks until VairFest, EVERY weekend counts!

So, I am learning a ton about this motor and the previous person who worked on it. As I took off more shrouds here is what I found:

eye popping smiley Metric Bolts - yeah 10mm bolts shoved into aluminum threads. It is going to take a while to blow the holes out with compressed air, clean them with a bottle brush and run a tap through them to see if I need an insert

confused smiley Silicone - there are no valve cover gaskets, just clear silicone. Also, there is orange silicone between the engine and bell housing so I know the engine has been out of the car. I did not find silicone on the rear housing or alternator adaptor

hot smiley Exhaust Logs from Hell - so both exhaust logs were/are stuck onto the exhaust tubes. The passengers side finally came off, but two of the tube wiggle slightly...less than 1mm. The drivers side has a tube that is completely pulled out and still attached to the log

angry smiley Heads are swapped - even though the heads are interchangeable from passengers to drivers side, the PO did not take the stud out for the coil bracket when they were swapped. AND the rear heater shroud was put on prior to the bell house. So I can't remove the shroud because the stud prevents it from coming off. Double nutting it will be a pain

eye rolling smiley Dryer Heater hose - yeah, I know this is more common, but it was one more thing done incorrectly.

So here is my best guess. Because the engine has been removed and the heads swapped (I don't see any silicone on the block halves or the front housing so I think only the heads were taken off when the engine was pulled). I am guessing a valve seat was dropped. With an A/C car, the head temps run hotter and I KNOW the heads (3878566) have never been deflashed, the likelihood of dropping a valve seat is high.

So, if the person installing the heads and associated parts used the incorrect bolts, tubes of silicone, flipped the heads, didn't put the side covers back on the oil cooler, and put a cracked fan back on (this I don't know for sure), what type of work was done on the valve seats!!!!

Here is a quick VIDEO showing the lower part of the engine.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outOn the flip side, I did receive my Clarks and American Pi order today!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Harry Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2021 12:50AM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:
Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: June 08, 2021 12:25PM

The metric bolts were probably put into stripped out holes so I would assume that they would need a heli-coil in them to use the correct bolt.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Deflashing Heads Video
Date: June 13, 2021 12:28AM

Flashing, Flashing, Flashing

Wow, it took me 4 hours to deflash a single head! There was soooo much flashing that had to be removed AND leaning over a car using a drill is tiring...not to mention my right hand is sore.

The previous heads I deflashed were still on the engine, but out of the car standing up right...this makes things a lot easier on the body.

I made a VIDEO of the process. Enjoy! I combined three separate videos from two different days that is why there are several abrupt stops in the video.

Harry Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 12:33AM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:

Push Road and Rocker Ball
Date: June 13, 2021 10:15PM

I feel like a can't catch a break...doesn't help that VairFest is fast approaching and that is my goal with this car.

So, I started to replace the o-rings this afternoon and here is what I found:
    * End of push rod looks cut
    * Rocker arm balls have a grove in them
    * Both rocker arm STUDS unscrewed instead of the rocker arm nut. In fact, I had to use two wrenches to get the rocker arm nut off the stud and was only able to do when when I put the wrench on the ground and push down with my weight...a quarter turn at a time. Boy was that nut toasty when I finished unscrewing it

I think I should replace all the pushrods and the rocker balls with new parts, yeah? I do have a bunch of used ones in a box I can look through. Why were the nuts soooooo hard to get off? They are a squash nut, but I seriously had to put my weight on the wrench in order to turn the nut.

Harry Moore

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 10:22PM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: June 14, 2021 12:28AM

Push rods: any with damaged ends (like pic) or bent need to be replaced. Probably the missing bits and pieces are in the bottom of the oil pan.

Rocker balls: those need to be replaced, I think. Worse - what does the wear area on the rocker arms look like? They may need to be replaced, also? Especially if they have groove or cracks.

Squash nut? Lock nut? Shouldn't be used. Possibly those rocker arm studs need to be replaced because they are damaged?

Date: June 18, 2021 07:34AM

Curious if anyone has more thoughts on how the damage to pushrod ends happens and what causes unusual wear patterns of the rocker and rocker arm ball.

I will be replacing the parts, but these parts are part of a valvetrain "system" and I am not sure how much of the system to replace? So, if one component is bad, should I replace all components? That is the rocker arm, ball, pushrod, and lifter.

I have a line on NOS rocker arms and grooved or non grooved rocker arm balls. I can also pick up a set of The Source deep dimple lifters today if necessary.

BTW, classic push rod tube O-ring issues. The O-rings at the head were hard as a rock and fell apart when pinched. Some appear to be black while others were brown, but several where brown on the side against the head and black on the side that faced the valve cover.

With all the information I have shown in the videos and written about, any theories about this engine?

Harry Moore

Attachments:

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 18, 2021 08:12AM

You need rockers, pushrods and balls for sure.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 119 Corvairs and counting...

Roger Parent Linkage
Date: June 18, 2021 04:50PM

eye popping smiley Look I what received!!eye popping smiley

When COVID happened my dad was laid off from J-Mark manufacturing (he did QA/QC). But before that he called me one day and told me he was doing QA/QC work on some corvair parts, specifically linkage.

That's right. My dad QA/QC'ed Roger's linkage parts. For me this was a no brainer; I bought as many items as I could fit on his 67.
Who knows, he may have picked up one of these parts and QA/QC'ed it. smiling smiley

Harry Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2021 04:51PM by Harry Moore.

Attachments:
So Close, Yet So Far
Date: June 24, 2021 07:44PM

I tried!

I was not able to finish my dads car in time for VairFest....ran out of time.sad smiley
Every time I went to do something "easy" or "quick" just the opposite happened. From stuck exhaust logs, chipped harmonic balancer, stripped threads, broken pushrods, never before deflashed heads, blah blah......a classics story of fixing the previous owners "quick/Cheap fix".

So the road trip will happen in a different car, but I will still be there!! I am excited to see corvairs and cooler temps!

Harry Moore

Attachments:
Date: June 24, 2021 07:56PM

Bummer!
Sorry to hear that things didn't work out.
Glad you are not giving up, and still making the trip.
Good for you! thumbs up

Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.