Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
12 Years Of Separation….
Posted by: Harry Moore ()
Date: July 02, 2019 10:06AM

12 years ago I left San Diego and headed for a new career near Redlands California. When I left, I took my Corviar with me and left my dad Corvairless…..that is until today.
While searching for my dream car (a 67 Californian sedan with A/C) I found a numbers matching 67 Monza Coupe 4 speed with A/C just miles from my dad’s place. It will be delivered to his house in San Diego today!!!

Well, most of it. The previous owner parked it in 2008, stripped and threw away the interior and removed everything from the exterior for paint…..then did nothing for 11 years. But I can’t complain because my last post on Corvair Center was 12 years ago.

So the journey begins to find parts to get the car on the road. Luckily, the drive train is all intact and mechanically everything is there.

All help is appreciated. Here is where we need to start:
• Interior – the only parts left are the two front seats. Even the entire back seat (top and bottom) was thrown away. The color code is “C” – which is blue
• Exterior – basically everything. If anyone has a parts car they are looking to strip please let me know

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
1967 Monza Coupe 4 Speed with Air Conditioning
Date: July 02, 2019 10:19AM

Here are a few more pictures showing the condition of the entire car. We have work ahead.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

Re: 12 Years Of Separation….
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: July 02, 2019 10:40AM

Harry - Before beginning the restoration, you need to do a full rust inspection. The windshield rust dictates an inspection of the door posts and door hinge areas. If those are okay and the rockers are intact, only then you should proceed. The rust at the front dictates removal of the windshield, and most of the dash stuff, including all wiring. There will be welding involved putting new metal in place. There are a lot of air-conditioning parts in that area, be sure to takes lots of photos of their location and position, before taking it apart. Good luck finding a shop in California to do the rust repair, I went through that and the final windshield installation failed - rust returned - after a couple of years. If you repaired rust for a living out here, you would starve to death. That said, the car does seem to have the right equipment on it. The 67 had some of the good updates.(and that A/C mount would allow a 140 motor!)

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 02, 2019 11:44AM

You will need to replace the weatherstrip around the window on the passenger side.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: July 02, 2019 01:21PM

Wow. I can understand why the previous owner gave up on that car.
Like Seth Emerson said, I do some serious inspection and diagnosis before moving ahead.
All due respect but that's a parts car at best in my opinion.
What makes you think the engine, transmission, differential, brakes and fuel system are any good?
Wouldn't buying a better version for more money be wiser?
I'd check the cost of a nice '67 coupe with A/C ready to drive and compared that to what it will take to make that one the same?

Good luck to you.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: July 02, 2019 01:26PM

Harry I would go to next SD club meeting
and see what is for sale that you can
drive now or at least in less time than
fixing this car will involve. Good luck
whatever your choice is.

Oh, welcome back to Corvair crazy world

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 02, 2019 01:30PM

If you are of the persuasion that you want to rebuild the whole car why not start with something that needs it such as this one?
If you want the finished product then by all means go buy a finished car.
Good for you in rescuing a car others would have written off.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 113 Corvairs and counting...

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: July 02, 2019 01:51PM

Welcome back....thumbs up

Something to keep in mind about a '67. There are a few year specific items unique to only that year.

The BIGGEST of the year specific parts would be the doors and door hinges.
Before considering swapping out doors or hinges, make sure it is necessary then be sure to purchase the correct 1967 only parts.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Posted by: Layton Curtis ()
Date: July 02, 2019 02:27PM

MHO, you're fighting a dead horse. There are much better candidates for restoration.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 02, 2019 02:51PM

Folks...Harry is not returning to Corvairs... he's had his Sport sedan for close to 20 years!

This appears to be a gift to "Dad" ???

I'd say dismantle like you are going to resurrect it... decide.... then parts it out.. or as others say... find another and use parts from this

I'd get the powerpack out... clean it... and run it... 10 years is not long in Socal.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: detroitdude ()
Date: July 02, 2019 06:08PM

My dream corvair, dang
Very cool car. Good luck

Dan Dood
69 Monza Convertible
66 500 Coupe

Detroit, Michigan

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: July 02, 2019 08:44PM

Yo Harry - Glad to see you back. Looks like a promising car. Good luck on the project.

Date: July 02, 2019 11:03PM

Living the dream since the mid-90's

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:
Date: July 02, 2019 11:07PM

Hi Steve,

Yes I need to get back to SDCC not only for the car, but I have some ideas for the 2020 convention around marketing, people analytics, and general data exploration and analysis.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Date: July 02, 2019 11:24PM

Monza109 and Layton,

I have not seen many cars that are better than this one. They only made 232 engines with this configuration in 1967.

There definitely are cars out there that have a better foundation, but they are not a 67, they do not have a manual transmission, and they do not have A/C.

Also, it was less then 8 miles from my dad's house and just under $1,000!!

There is definitely rust repairs needed and as Seth mentioned it needs to be done correctly the first time.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: July 03, 2019 10:39PM

Harry,

Next SDCC meeting is July 11, come on out!!

I might be able to point you to a shop in Murietta that did rust repairs and a paint job on my 67. They also did another car for me. Both turned out excellent and the final price was reasonable.

Lorrie and I would also like to talk to you prior to the 2019 convention.

found the Broadcast Sheet
Date: August 02, 2019 01:07AM

I was finally able to help my dad with the car today and as I sat in the front seat I saw a piece of paper sticking out of the ripped up seat back.

After taking the metal backing off of the drivers side seat.....there it was. The BROADCAST SHEET. If the front of the seat was not so torn up, I think it would have been in better condition.

It was folded in half and slid between the springs on the lower back side of the front seat.

BUT WAIT......what do you notice????

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:

The Source Fuel Pump
Date: August 02, 2019 01:19AM

I have had this fuel pump from The Source sitting in a baggie in the glove box of my 66 since about 2005. These are the only fuel pumps I have ran in my cars.

Does anyone have an email address or phone number for David? The only email address I have bounces back and the phone number I tried was always busy.

Harry Moore
66 Monza Sedan 140/PG
Southern California

Attachments:
Re: found the Broadcast Sheet
Date: August 02, 2019 03:53AM

Harry Moore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was finally able to help my dad with the car today and as I sat in the front seat I saw a piece of paper sticking out of the ripped up seat back.
>
> After taking the metal backing off of the drivers side seat.....there it was. The BROADCAST SHEET. If the front of the seat was not so torn up, I think it would have been in better condition.
>
>
> It was folded in half and slid between the springs on the lower back side of the front seat.
>
> BUT WAIT......what do you notice????

That sheet is not for your father's Corvair!
It was for body 5199 whereas your's is Body 5195 (I think - hard to see)
Interesting is that yours was built last week of November and the date on the broadcast sheet is 3rd week of December yet the bodies are just 4 units apart.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: August 02, 2019 07:44AM

I am sure Dave H. (the Source) will be in Palm Springs. I see him every year there at the Toss.
John and Lorie were both in St. Charles last week for the convention and I am sure they also will
be at the Toss. They seem to be there every year.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.