Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
SELLING my Vair... 61 Monza PG in NH
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: June 30, 2019 03:23PM

I have another car on my mind that I have wanted for years... A Ford model A. I can only have one classic so can't have both. Because of this, I think I am going to need to sell my Corvair.

Has had a lot of recent work done, such as...
New fuel tank
-New fuel sender with good quality float
-New whitewall tires
-New radio with auto power antenna
-Rocker LEDs (may need to replace, some burnt out)
-New thermostat bellows
-Full tune up
-New silicone spark plug wires
-New diff oil
-New rubber fuel fill tubes
-New door panels
-New dash
-New speaker
-Tach
-New paint
-New fuel pump
-New brake shoes (stops quickly)
-New wheel cylinders
-Nixon sticker
and more

Car has 51k documented miles. Belonged to a doctor in Laconia. Have old records and such. Was originally glacier blue.

No major surface rust, NO ROT. Good body, some dings and dents. Very tight steering. Working fuel gauge, speedo, radio, lights, turn signals, choke, etc.

Because of this, I will sell for $7000 or best offer. I know it's a little more than most, but you'll get a solid car which is uncommon in New England. Not a junky rotted out rust bucket. Lowish miles too.

Would accept offers.

I doubt anyone on here would be interested, but I would accept a trade for a Ford mod A Tudor too.
Located in 03254. Mid NH. You must come get the car, or if you aren't far away, drive it home. I have had it on hour long trips, all good.

forsale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2019 04:38PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SELLING my Vair... 61 Monza PG in NH
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 30, 2019 07:41PM

That is a good looking car for 58 years old. Do you want to buy the RH MONZA emblem or the correct 61 hub caps?
How about the correct "radiator" cap? Good looking car either way.

Date: July 01, 2019 05:00AM

No, sorry. I actually like the later hubcaps. I didn't even notice the missing emblem up until a month or two ago, lol. Previous owner said it got a small dent there, so I'm guessing the logo fell off and he fixed the dent and covered the holes so I don't know where they are now.

Date: July 04, 2019 08:09AM

Nice car... Daily driver... Get tons of compliments (and the usual Nader comments!)

Date: July 05, 2019 03:54PM

Has an oil leak as you may have read about. Going to get it fixed next week. If you buy it before then, get it for $6500! After the leak is fixed price will go up.

Date: July 07, 2019 05:59PM

Should have probably asked... Is $6500-7000 crazy for one that's in this shape, new paint, documented, good interior and driving? By looking at some I wouldn't think so. Is it too much? What do you all think for a documented 51k mile car with new paint and new parts, and say the pushrod and oil cooler seals will be done too?

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: July 07, 2019 09:39PM

Seems 1961 Corvairs don't demand much interest in the marketplace. I suggest performing an engine compression test and stating the results.

In my experience most Corvair engines go about 60,000 miles and then they develop wear that compromises cylinder compression and performance.

Good compression test results would be a sales benefit to you.

If it does have good compression I'd say it's a $3500.00 car.

Since quality engine rebuilding would likely cost more than that car is worth low compression test results may be a dealbreaker to most.

The best to you.

Date: July 08, 2019 03:43AM

Price is now $6500, would probably consider reasonable offers.

No way a no rust free documented repainted driver with this nice of an interior would just go for $3500.

Posted by: TGriffin ()
Date: July 08, 2019 06:05AM

It's a very nice car Johnny. I know I have seen Monza 'verts in similar shape ask around $5000 often enough. Though asking price on an ad is not the same as final selling price, which people don't see online after the post is gone... Coupes are pretty, but I think they generally bring a little less than 'verts.

The mileage is quite low for the age, but as others have said, would that mean it needs work soon on the horizon? Who knows? My Monza went until about 85,000 until the previous owners did a re-ring rebuild. I can't attest to how my car drove before the rebuild since I was not around, but I know it wasn't "blown up" when they rebuilt it; it was part of bringing it back to life in the early 2000's after it was sitting since late 70's.

1964 Monza 'vert
Mount Joy, PA

Posted by: Skizz ()
Date: July 08, 2019 07:17AM

Personally, I think $3500 is alot closer than $7000..

64 Monza Vert
64 Spyder Vert
2002 Chev 1500
1996 Impalla SS
Eastern NC

Date: July 08, 2019 08:02AM

$5800 is what I'll go for now. Need to at least get what I paid... Hope that's a little more reasonable.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2019 08:07AM

Johnny put it on ebay...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 08, 2019 08:22AM

It was on there, but now I'm considered a high volume seller and need to pay a $50-$100 fee for listing it. Not sure if I'd like to do that yet.

Date: July 08, 2019 12:35PM

Are you sure that's not the fee for a High Reserve?

Become a Hi Volume BUYER and all listing are free!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 08, 2019 12:38PM

This was just bought by a member here, from a Dealer $4995

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 08, 2019 12:42PM

As has been mentioned it looks like a pretty nice car. Why not keep it, drive it, and enjoy it?

Date: July 08, 2019 01:52PM

17 and parents are only letting me keep one. I'd like to get a model A because I know I can fix that by myself in regards to more complicated engine work if it ever needed it, and don't need a lift for it. Had a T so I know how it goes.

I overpaid a ton by the looks of it... Not denying that they are worth less, but just disappointed I paid a little too much and then had to sink in a lot more. Lesson learned (again).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 01:53PM by Johnnya101.

Date: July 11, 2019 08:13AM

$5600... Last chance before it gets the seals done. Really need this car gone.

Date: July 11, 2019 11:28AM

OK, may as well ask the experts.

This car leaks oil from the pushrod seals, oil cooler seals, and possibly balancer seal. I have them all and I'm guessing will need to spend $600 on replacing them all.

Is this worth it if I'm selling the car? My Corvair mechanic says no way, my parents are pushing me to do it. I don't think I should. Getting it done will, in my opinion, not increase the price. Already I'm losing $2k on it at this price. Should I get the seals replaced or no? Car is drivable as is, but you need to top off the oil.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 11, 2019 11:39AM

It won't increase the price $600.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.