Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New Member
Posted by: coppermonza ()
Date: June 28, 2019 08:08AM

I've had the car a little over a year and pretty much got it running right, after several years of sitting. I have been getting a temp/pressure warning light after it warms up that started last month. Doesn't seem to be running hot and I've ordered a new sensor from Clark's but they are out of stock.

The disc covers service two purposes, I think brake dust is reduced and they cover a really ugly caliper!

I'll get some more pics of the shock mounts and model numbers this weekend and thanks for all the great comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 28, 2019 10:10AM

Too thin of motor oil can turn that light on. What is your oil pressure (hot and cold)? Very clean car with obvious attention to detail. Seeing your car, reading your opening description, and reading the June edition of the Communique makes me imagine if Corvair production had gone into the "modern era" we would have seen many of these things.

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: June 29, 2019 04:44AM

Great looking LM smiling smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 29, 2019 05:21AM

You might want to determine if it's the oil pressure or head temp that is turning the light on. The oil pressure wire is easier to get to and can be unplugged to see if the light goes out. The senders provide the path to ground for the light to come on.
The oil pressure switch is commonly available. I've never bought a head temp switch, my little drawer has never run out, they must be more durable than valve seats.
On a hot engine with low oil pressure the light can come on or flicker at idle. It could be a sender that is overly sensitive or actual low pressure.
I've had a temp sender that was overly sensitive and would come on when the engine wasn't all that hot.
I could build and ship you an engine but Craig Nicol is closer and a good guy. A lot of the fuel injection installation involves the chassis with high pressure fuel lines and such. Craig has EFI on a Corvair experience.
Boise to Couer d Alene might seem like a ways but it's very close in the Corvair world.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: June 29, 2019 11:06AM

Nice looking car. Love the metallic paint!

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Date: July 01, 2019 12:05PM

Thanks again for the kind words. I'm finishing up another car build so I'm jumping between the two and will try to diagnose the oil sender/temperature issue this week.

Here are some additional pictures of the gas struts and mounting. I used nut zerts in the hood and firewall and bolted the supports through the fenders. I found the Amertiool struts at McMaster-Carr and I've attached a picture of the model #.

Got a buddy who's built several turbo engines from scratch who's trying to convince me that an EFI/turbo combination is the way to go so I'm doing some research now before I pull the trigger on a new motor. Like always, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Eagle, Idaho

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: July 01, 2019 05:56PM

Thanks for the details on the gas struts, Brian.

Do these require removal of the trunk lid springs?
(From the photos, it looks like the trunk lid is open wider than usual...)

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: July 02, 2019 06:28AM

I removed the factory springs only because they didn't work and also affected the size of the strut. I used a 60# strut but imagine that you can get by with a smaller strut if you keep the factory springs. The hood does open further which makes access to the trunk much nicer.

Brian

Eagle, Idaho

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: July 03, 2019 03:57PM

Did you make or buy the mounting brackets?

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Date: July 08, 2019 07:02AM

I made everything.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: July 08, 2019 12:12PM

Vair-y nice Monza!thumbs up

Welcome aboard. smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 08, 2019 12:28PM

[www.ebay.com]

600mm is 24" 60 lb. is 267 N [ newtons] plenty of brakets as well.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.