Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Powerglide Problems
Posted by: billyst.louis ()
Date: June 26, 2019 09:25AM

Hi, I am new to the site, but not to Corvairs, but I have a bit of a head scratcher. I have a 1962 900 Monza with an automatic powerglide transmission that only has DRIVE. I will give a little backstory, and a brief history of the lengths I have gone to remedy the situation. The engine is rebuilt as of 2016, the transmission and differential were purchased rebuilt 3 months ago from a reputable source. I installed the diff/ trans following the directions in the repair manual, and installed the engine the same as I’ve done at least twenty times before. I started the car, and as I gave it gas, it slowly crept forward. Later, I tried to push it and realized it was in gear. The car recognizes that the shifter is in NEUTRAL, so it starts, but once I give it some throttle it moves forward, in any gear. I have re-installed the cable as per the instructions (3/8” lower than the pan and all that stuff), when that didn’t work I took off the pan and made a visual confirmation that the shift cable was seated properly and adjusted the piston to just below flush with the second support web (see picture). I removed the engine to make SURE that the torque converter was seated properly. As of now I still have DRIVE and nothing else. If anyone out there has any suggestions I would greatly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Powerglide Problems
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: June 26, 2019 09:42AM

This could be helpful:

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 26, 2019 09:56AM

Craig Nicol has a picture on this site of the valve body piston and where it should be when properly adjusted.

Search valve and Craig, see if it comes up.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 26, 2019 10:23AM

Welcome to the CCF!

Seems like you've checked everything.... time to call the rebuilder/ seller...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 26, 2019 11:02AM

When you say you have drive only, do you mean "Drive" or "Low"? How did you determine it's in drive and not in low?. Do you have reverse?
Just a guess and easy to check.....how about the low/reverse band being adjusted WAY too tight?

Date: June 26, 2019 02:03PM

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is LOW or DRIVE, what I mean is the car creeps forward when it is in NEUTRAL. I would assume it is in LOW as it is really just a creep. No REVERSE, no NEUTRAL, just DRIVE, a slow creeping DRIVE that is slowly driving me insane. I have attempted to adjust the low band from under the car because I cannot seem to find the access point under the rear shelf.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 26, 2019 04:29PM

If you had reverse, it might be a tight band, but since you don't - call the rebuilder.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: June 26, 2019 04:54PM

Yeah, I have a call into him. One weird question, has anyone ever heard of shifter cable going bad? If the shifter cable somehow stretched (if that is even possible) the manual valve body would be in the right place in DRIVE, but then as the lever is shifted it moves the piston (or valve) to the incorrect position. I know this is probably insane, but as I mentioned I am losing what's left of my sanity with this car...

Date: June 26, 2019 04:55PM

Nope! If it stretched... you still have at least 1 gear..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 26, 2019 05:49PM

What access point under the rear shelf? Quit looking.

Even if the cable stretched, it would still move the same amount at each end. No way the inner rod would grow between Drive and Reverse.

Search for Craig’s picture of the valve position.

All Powerglides lurch forward in Neutral. The car does not really move, but tries to.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 05:52PM by Frank DuVal.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 26, 2019 05:56PM

Manual valve (shifter) adjustment:

In Drive: front of valve should be just below flush with the second web.

Picture 1) Wrong, valve too far in

Picture 2) Correct. Valve just below flush with second web.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Attachments:

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 26, 2019 05:57PM

What's the symptom when the "E" clip falls off in the valve body? Isn't that "Always in Low"?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 26, 2019 06:18PM

What is the symptom when the gear on the governor is broken? I think it is "stuck in low" (but has no effect on reverse as I recall). I have seen destroyed cables but not stretched. I would remove the pan and while someone shifts the quadrant thru the gears you should be able to follow the manual valve thru all the gears. Start with the picture Craig has posted.

Date: June 26, 2019 06:51PM

Timothy... he already did that!! ggg

Date: June 28, 2019 10:30AM

First off, thanks to everyone for taking the time to try to help with my problem. Here's an update; I believe that the cable is inserted correctly, so I went on to step 2. I do not have the special tool, but I found a picture online of proper and improper adjustment of the manual valve. The description states that the piston should be just below flush with the second support web, and the picture verifies this position, so I adjusted the valve to sit "just below flush with the second support web". I have not adjusted the TV linkage under the car, because I cannot find a good description of how to adjust it. I did, however, shift the car into NEUTRAL at the lever, the manual valve changed position, but the wheels still don't spin (when the car is on ONE jackstand). Would the TV being out of adjustment cause the wheels to act like it is in gear?

Date: June 28, 2019 10:40AM

Sadly not likely.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 28, 2019 12:20PM

The TV adjustment has to do with "kickdown" and upshifting. Are you using the appropriate shop manuals for your car? Lots of good info in them. Clark's Corvair sells that manual valve setting tool pretty inexpensively. The down side is you will use it VERY rarely.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 28, 2019 01:10PM

The TV valve adjusts line pressure and regulates when the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts happen. Nothing to do with if it goes into drive or reverse.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: ac1948 ()
Date: June 28, 2019 01:31PM

"jacked up on one jack stand...wheel won"t turn"
Is this a posi differential?

Jerry Murray
Charleston, SC

63 Rampside, PG,110

63 Greenbrier, PG, 110

Date: June 28, 2019 05:47PM

Billy
purchased rebuilt 3 months ago from a reputable source.

OK, let's go down this rabbit hole. Who? Have you called them?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.