Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Front Balljoint tapershaft- Yay or nay to lube
Posted by: dryenko ()
Date: June 27, 2019 04:46AM

Anti Seize, thin coat.
Usually copper type [ except on O2 sensors ]
On the nut threads as well.
I use up a bottle in a year or so.
HATE rusted together parts.
Also helping the next guy down the line...

Bob C aka Dryenko
Dobson, NC 27017

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sir Thomas ()
Date: July 09, 2019 06:52AM

Let me ask about the disassembly required beforehand, I'm currently replacing my front springs on the Sprint and I have not yet been successful at getting the ball joint apart. What's are the details of a (somewhat) surefire method to get it separated?

I've removed the cotter pin, loosened, but did not fully remove the nut, leaving a gap for movement.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
'66 Monza convertible with EFI
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 09, 2019 06:56AM

Big DRIFT PUNCH and 5 lb. sledge... on the spindle body. You have soaked it with penetrant?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:19AM

Use the Shop Manual method, similar to Matt's, but two hammers. Just use one hammer as the backup and swing the other at the "eye" and pop the taper shaft out of the hole like a zit.

If I can get room, I like to swing both hammers to hit at the same time.

No little 8 or 16 oz ball peen or framing hammers. Something like 2.5 lb mini sledge, ball peen or 40 oz engineer's hammers. Or a 8 lb sledge as backup if you can wedge it in there.

No damage to boot or joint this way, in case you are re-using the joint.smileys with beer

If you are replacing at least the boot, then use the proper size pickle fork.

Hitting on the end of the taper shaft means you have to replace the joint.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 09, 2019 08:40AM

I have never greased the taper on any shaft, and if it were supposed to be lubed, then GM would have lubed it. I have never found rust on any tapered shaft no matter how long the car has spent in the heavily salted rust belt. You will find rust on the exposed parts, but never on the tapered shafts, because the salt and water can't get in there. If the item is going to be replaced, I use a pickle fork to break the bond. If it is going to be reused, then I have a tool that presses on the threaded shaft while holding underneath to push.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 09, 2019 01:37PM

I just bought the Kent Moore tool like Junk mentioned last week. I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: July 12, 2019 07:35AM

Using two hammers I was successful at separating the lower ball joint from the hole it slides into. But then a new problem arose. The A-arm isn't clearing the brake backing plate. When lowering the A-arm it overlaps the back lip of the brake assembly by about 1/4 inch. It gets stuck there and will not lower fully to release the front spring.

Is this supposed to be the case? There is no reference to such in the shop manual. What is the appropriate way to separate things to let the A-arm freely lower fully?

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 12, 2019 10:24AM

Found a picture of my tool that is worth its weight in gold when you need to take apart a joint without damaging it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 12, 2019 11:43AM

I'm not following the problem. You separated the lower ball joint from the spindle (which is what the brake backing plate is bolted to).

Did you not previously remove the front shock and place a threaded rod/ plate into the shock area to retain the spring (with very high force that wants to release and come at your face) while you removed the ball joint taper connection from the spindle?

Or have you not removed the strut rods (caster/brake reaction rods) from the lower control arm?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 12, 2019 11:57AM

Yes, I removed the front shock, installed some protection to keep the spring from coming out suddenly and attacking me, removed the bolts from the stabilizer bar, and the control rod. I've done each step the manual covers. Yet the end of the A-arm lands solidly overlapping the bottom of the front brake backing plate by about 1/4 inch.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Date: July 12, 2019 02:34PM

At this point the spindle should only be hanging by:

front brake hose
speedometer cable if left front
upper ball joint
tie rod (end)

Usually there is enough movement in the spindle with the lower ball joint and control rod removed to make it go where you want. Pry bar between the arm and backing plate and convince it to go past.

These work surprisingly well, I've had mine for 30 years or so:

[www.harborfreight.com]

You can pop the tie rod loose with two hammers just like the ball joint. Don't spin it within it's adjusting threads and it will go right back together.

I would leave the upper ball joint connected, so as to not let the brake hose/speedometer cable be what holds up the spindle.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: July 15, 2019 06:32AM

I completely agree that there should be enough movement in the spindle to make the brake backing move where I need it; and yet for a completely unknown reason mine is totally rigid, not giving at all, forcing the end of the A-arm to catch on the rear lip of the backing plate. I can't even pry it to separate. I am just totally baffled by what is holding it in place.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Attachments:

Date: July 15, 2019 06:34AM

No idea in the world why my pictures turned 90 degrees when I posted them just now. Sorry if anyone gets a kink in their neck from looking at them.

Thomas Ratliff
Abilene, Texas
'65 Fitch Sprint
ThomasMRatliff@GMAIL.com

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 15, 2019 06:51AM

Thomas, pics posted directly from and iPhone or iPad?

You need to open them in a graphics program and RESIZE to 800x600 and SAVE.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 15, 2019 08:43AM

Thomas, remove the brake drum/hub with wheel bearings, then unbolt/loosen the 4 bolts holding the brake backing plate.
This should give you enough room to lower the control arm.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: July 15, 2019 09:56AM

You have to get the ball joint stud to angle sideways as you are lowering the arm. That will allow the needed clearance. The stud is still pointing straight up in the picture. The top of the stud should be pointing more to the top right in your above picture.
Normally just pulling out at the bottom of the backing plate as you are lowering the control arm is enough to move the stud.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.