Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1961 Coupe for sale Northern California
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 24, 2019 08:39PM

A friend has a 1961 Corvair Coupe for sale in Menlo Park, CA. It is a 500 coupe, with a 3-speed stick. The motor runs, but the car has been sitting since the original owner (The Aunt of the lady selling it) died. The speedometer show 79K miles, and seem correct. The Aunt and her husband bought the car new in Long Beach, CA and she drove it until she could not drive any more, in about 2000. The seller has every receipt since new, and a number of new extra parts (Clarks, etc.) It is/was well kept, but has been outside for the last few years in a driveway under an oak tree. The Aunt had a minor fender bender (right front) and had it repaired and the whole car re-painted the original Yellow color. She then quit driving. So, I consider this a project, because although it spent all of it’s life in Northern California, it has been sitting. I examined the car yesterday. I found a few small bubbles of rust in the front corner of the right-hand side door. That was it. The husband of the seller had the motor running – From an external fuel tank. (I saw his cell phone video of it running.) It has a new fuel pump. The interior is all there, but the door panels were just “Covered”, and could use replacing. The headliner is fine. The rear quarter windows are fixed. (It is a 500!) The glass is okay. The power train is all original. It doesn’t have a cigarette lighter, but it has the “Fresh-air” heater, and a Radio (complete with Conelrad). (Not the gas heater) In a brain-fade moment, I didn’t check the floor under the mats, but it has been a California car its whole life. If you want an early coupe driver, you could save a bunch of money on body work with this car. What I would do. If I could live with the three-speed, I would drop the powertrain, clean and reseal the transaxle, check the gas tank and rebuild the carbs, replace the clutch disk and, after a compression test to verify basic engine condition reseal the motor, (but not remove the heads). I would redo the body to engine seals, replace any needed rubber, then do a custom interior, with some Monza upgrades, but just a bit. The bench seat has it’s attractions, but a nice pair of buckets would be nice, especially with a floor shift. With a nice set of wheels and verified brakes, this could be a nice little run-around car, without a large investment. This could be a nice sporty car. The owner wants the car to go to someone who will restore what is needed. She rode in her Aunts car as a child and still has an affection for it, but has little extra room in the tight Menlo Park neighborhood. This is a one-owner car and almost all original, except the paint. I am passing along this information, and I will answer any inquiries you might have. I have no financial interest in this car. But I would like to see it go to a person who will built it back-up. Call me with any questions. (408) 247-2237 Seth Emerson

forsale

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 09:17PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1961 Coupe for sale Northern California More info and a price
Date: July 10, 2019 08:24PM

Seth writes:
They are asking $1300. That seems like a good deal for the condition. Yeah it is a clean up and resuscitate project, but the body is pretty good. They have all the background data on the car - within this family

Dave - the seller writes
That sounds just fine...If you wouldn't mind updating the info with a $1300 asking price and directing anyone interested to Susie and my email - we should be able to move this car along to its next owner soon...

Dave's Email is: dave.schinski@stanford.edu

Seth Emerson

Attachments:

Re: 1961 Coupe for sale Northern California
Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 10:09AM

i would buy this in a heartbeat if it wasnt an 8 tour trip each way.

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: July 11, 2019 10:11AM

Boosted60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would buy this in a heartbeat if it wasn't an 8 tour trip each way.

It would already be in my driveway, if it were only an 8 hour drive for me.
20 hour each way from here. IF traffic is not jammed up.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, '62 Monza Wagon, '63 Spyder, '65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 11, 2019 01:32PM

Boosted60 Wrote:
> I would buy this in a heartbeat if it wasn't an 8 hour trip each way.
=====================================================

How can a measly 20 hour trip stop you? Surely you have access to a small truck and trailer? With a friend to help drive?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: July 11, 2019 05:29PM

Anybody have a connection to a cheap shipper? What do you think it costs to send it from California to Michigan?

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Posted by: Boosted60 ()
Date: July 12, 2019 09:33AM

MattNall Wrote:
> Boosted60 Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > I would buy this in a heartbeat if it wasn't an 8 hour trip each way.
> =====================================================
>
> How can a measly 20 hour trip stop you? Surely you have access to a small truck and trailer? With a friend to help drive?

Well, considering ive had my corvair for over 10 years and have only driven it a handful of times when i first bought it, it makes more sense to devote my free time to finishing the one i have rather than taking on another project.

Believe me though, i want a driver corvair bad!
if it was a 1960 sedan i would have already bought it. haha

Shant Yazijian
Pasadena, California

Re: 1961 Coupe for sale Northern California More info and a price
Date: August 01, 2019 08:33PM

This car is still available. It really needs to go. If you offer them around $1000, I believe you could take it home. Help them out and help yourself to a "runner" project, with virtually no body work. email the owner and get going. Call me for more info. Seth Emerson

Seth Emerson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.