Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: My mangled knees demanded this of me.
Posted by: rnch ()
Date: June 11, 2019 08:44AM

My tiny front yard really doesn't require a self propelled lawn mower; but anything to make my knees ache less is desirable. Not Nineteen No Mo!

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT: My mangled knees demanded this of me.
Posted by: MtnVairMike ()
Date: June 11, 2019 09:08AM

Nice choice! I just retired my 30 year old Snapper and got one of their battery powered units. Uses two 82V 2Ah batteries, one for the blade and one for the self propelled part.

We have 0.33 acre yard including the house and I have moved it and still had charge left at the end.

Thanks,

Mike

1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White

Others in the menagerie...
72 Corvette Stingray, 58K miles, owned since 86
72 MGB, 112K miles, bought from original owner in 09
78 Chevy pickup, 124K miles, bought new in 78
93 Corvette, LT1/6spd, 210K miles, daily driver since 96

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 11, 2019 10:52AM

I have under 1000 ft2 of grass that is dead flat and bought that same model (minus the self-propelled function). It does our little yard just fine.

I can cut our grass 4-5 time between charges. It folds up and stands on end so less room to store as well.

I lucked out when I went to buy it as the air quality folks here in Phoenix were giving $150 credits slips to by an electric mower if you turned in an old gas model to them. I went to Home Depot with my coupon and saw they had that mower in the scratch and dent area under full warranty. I got the whole deal for $100 out the door.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 11, 2019 10:52AM

I want a battery powered house mover!

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: June 11, 2019 10:56AM

azdave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have under 1000 ft2 of grass that is dead flat and bought that same model (minus the self-propelled function). It does our little yard just fine.
>
> I can cut our grass 4-5 time between charges. It folds up and stands on end so less room to store as well.
>
> I lucked out when I went to buy it as the air quality folks here in Phoenix were giving $150 credits slips to by an electric mower if you turned in an old gas model to them. I went to Home Depot with my coupon and saw they had that mower in the scratch and dent area under full warranty. I got the whole deal for $100 out the door.

Score !

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: June 11, 2019 11:48AM

my electric mower

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Attachments:

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: June 12, 2019 07:06AM

The trouble I always seem to have with battery powered stuff is this. After a few years they don't carry the outdated battery anymore. It's like that with all of my tool purchases over the years. It's gas for me or if nothing else a corded gizmo but not a lawn mower. Mike

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: June 12, 2019 07:32AM

I bought the biggest (54") Husqvarna Lowe's sells.

Why walk when you can ride in comfortable style.

Three bladed 26 HP Kohler twin that grunts.

Attachments:
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 12, 2019 07:36AM

Jjohnsonjo! That electric mower is the bomb! It's styled like my '78 Bolens so I'm guessing it's from the same era. Does it still work? If so, I'd like to hear how it works! How long can it run?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 07:38AM by cnicol.

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 12, 2019 09:54AM

Mike
The trouble I always seem to have with battery powered stuff is this. After a few years they don't carry the outdated battery anymore. It's like that with all of my tool purchases over the years. It's gas for me or if nothing else a corded gizmo but not a lawn mower.

I'm with you, tired of replacing hundered of dollars of tools that are good but batteries are NLA.

Want some 90s Snap On cordless tools? They need batteries....angry smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: June 12, 2019 02:53PM

cnicol Wrote:
> Jjohnsonjo! That electric mower is the bomb! It's styled like my '78 Bolens so I'm guessing it's from the same era. Does it still work? If so, I'd like to hear how it works! How long can it run?

[en.wikipedia.org]

It still works, its powerful and quiet. I really don't use it because I have three gas lawn tractors. It needs a full set of six deep cycle golf cart or RV batteries. That's more than $800 even with the Sams Club batteries. It will mow for over two hours with a good set of batteries. I try to keep it running with used Auto batteries. Lots of attachments. Some guys convert to a more modern solid state golf charging systems. So mostly it sits because I have too many other toys.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: June 12, 2019 06:31PM

Frustrated with the yearly drama of my 20 something year old front wheel drive push mower (don't remember the brand, its a briggs powered something) to get it started, I caved in and bought a brand new rear wheel drive Honda push mower... I love it and my 2.5 hr mowing job got chopped down to 1 1/2hrs.
Hilly big yards and front wheel drive push mowers just suck!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 13, 2019 05:15AM

This is what most of us wish we had for taking care of the lawn. grinning smiley

0-100 in 6.25 seconds

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2019 05:16AM by azdave.

Attachments:
Date: June 13, 2019 06:37AM

If my knees force me into buying a scooter; this is the one I want!

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 13, 2019 06:37AM

IIRC it actually Mows!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: June 13, 2019 08:54AM

I have the Ryobi 40 Volt walk-behind that is not self-powered. At just over 40 lbs, it doesn't really need to be self propelled and my knees are 72 years old.
My last mower, that I haven't got rid of yet, is a high wheel, rear drive. 7.5 torque, single-lever height adj Craftsman.
The Ryobi is easier to mow with and doesn't collect grass on the underside. Something tells me this one will never rust out and need patch panels welded in place as other mowers I've had. gggg

Date: June 13, 2019 12:17PM

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.harborfreight.com]

While we are on the subject, but slightly OT. I have had both of these for more than a year now. Got each one on a super coupon. I'd give them both five stars for what I expect them to do. Don't know how long they will last, but I don't have to rebuild carbs every other year. The chain saw will keep up with any small CC gas saw. Not my Husky 445 when I have a big job. The leaf blower will run long enough to get your arms tired unless you use turbo mode. The down side seems to be cold weather, the batteries like it when it in the 20s or colder. This seems to be an issue with this type of battery, and not the hardware. Read the reviews, they are mostly accurate.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV

Bethlehem,Pa

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 16, 2019 06:12AM

I have the best lawnmower available.....

It is automatic and cuts the lawn as needed without my needing to lift a finger.

I fuel it at the beginning of each season, and again midway through the season and the lawn looks good to me all year long with no further effort.

What is this, one might ask....

It is the neighbor's kid with the parent's lawnmower.

Yes it is rare these days that one sees neighborhood kids cutting lawns for other people, but for the past several years it has worked out well for both of us.
The kid now has a full time job, but continues to cut my lawn as it pays well when compared to the time required to do the task at hand.
The only problem that has arisen is that the younger sibling wants to take over the task and earn the cash. grinning smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 16, 2019 09:23AM

Caraholic4life Wrote:
> I have the best lawnmower available.....
>
> It is automatic and cuts the lawn as needed without my needing to lift a finger.
>
> I fuel it at the beginning of each season, and again midway through the season and the lawn looks good to me all year long with no further effort.
>
> What is this, one might ask....
>
> It is the neighbor's kid with the parent's lawnmower.
>
> Yes it is rare these days that one sees neighborhood kids cutting lawns for other people, but for the past several years it has worked out well for both of us.
> The kid now has a full time job, but continues to cut my lawn as it pays well when compared to the time required to do the task at hand.
> The only problem that has arisen is that the younger sibling wants to take over the task and earn the cash. grinning smiley

I'm just too frugal to pay someone twenty five bucks a week to cut my front yard, about the size of four side by side Corvairs.

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: June 18, 2019 12:16AM

mikeycee Wrote:
> The trouble I always seem to have with battery powered stuff is this. After a few years they don't carry the outdated battery anymore. It's like that with all of my tool purchases over the years. It's gas for me or if nothing else a corded gizmo but not a lawn mower. Mike

I hear you, but just to give them their due, Ryobi specifically has been using the same battery physical format for (I forget the exact number) something like 25 years now.
The only thing that changes is the alignment strips that won't let you plug an 18v battery into one of their older 14.4v (or whatever it is) tools.
And yet the batteries for the older ones are still available. You might not find them on the shelf at Home Depot any longer, but they are available.
I don't buy new ones of old models anymore though, as I can just take them over to my local Batteries & Bulbs and they simply put new guts in my old batteries.

I did finally weed out the wide range of different brands I had finally though. Tried to make just one, and chose Milwaukee after playing around with various brands. So that lasted maybe six months before I ended up buying some Rigid tools!
But worse, my 30+ year old battery powered Toro mower (rechargeable, but wet cell battery mounted inside and you just plugged the mower in) that we got in a trade-in thing too, finally died an ugly death and what'dya know? Milwaukee didn't make a mower. Ugh, so I now have a Ryobi 40v too now!
Wow, didn't know what I was missing.

Can't say they'll have the same longevity with their 40v battery format, but the specter of outdated batteries no longer concerns me. My experience so far has been really good.

Even the Toro batteries, being generic little black boxes you could get at the local electronic store, did not cause any trouble finding new ones every 15 years or so when I needed a new one.
Pretty low maintenance overall.

Good luck with all your new mowers everybody! Hope it's the same as mine has been.

Paul

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.