Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
A Few A/C Questions
Posted by: Freeman ()
Date: June 10, 2019 07:50AM

I have finally collected enough R-12 to begin the process of rebuilding by A/C system. The system was functional before I restored the car but unfortunately, I destroyed the hoses in the removal process. I will be reusing the Sanden 505 that came with the car and replacing the engine side hoses so here are my questions:

Should I use Barrier or Reduced Barrier hoses?

Research shows 3 size hoses in the system, #8, #10 and #12. Is this Correct?

What is the best Dryer set up that others have found? Hoping someone has found one with both ports facing the same direction.

Attached is a pic of the original setup before I removed it.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A Few A/C Questions
Date: June 11, 2019 03:34PM

Knock Knock

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 11, 2019 03:44PM

It's a secret. I don't know the answers either.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 11, 2019 03:58PM

I would use regular barrier hose. Reduced tends to kink.

Yes 8,10,12

I haven't seen a dryer with fittings on one side. I would just use a 180-degree fitting on the far side.

You can EASILY damage the evap or cond if you try to put barrier hose on either one and once on, they're not coming off, ever. I recommend cutting the barbed fittings off and welding new o-ring fittings in their places. Super simple to service and they almost never leak. If you do this, you'll be happy you did.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Melb-Mike ()
Date: June 11, 2019 05:10PM

Barrier hose works well. If I were you, I would replace every hose before charging the system. Some are a PIA to do but if you don’t, you could lose some expensive R12. Replace the drier as well.

You’re correct on the hose sizes. Suction hose going to the compressor is a #12 hose. I would also recommend brazing aluminum fittings to your condenser to allow the use of modern swivel fitting connections vs the old hose clamp system. I changed all the ones I could reach.

If you had any debris, or a chance of debris get in your condenser or evaporator, try flushing them out first before it plugs up the expansion valve orifice.

64 Greenbrier
64 Spyder (needs restoration)
65 Corsa 140, restored
66 Corsa turbo, restoring now
66 Corsa 140 "RR" code coupe fully restored
67 Pontiac GTO restored
69 Corvette 427 convertible restored
2015 Porsche Panamera S
2015 Corvette Z06
1965 AC Cobra (Factory Five)

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 11, 2019 07:16PM

Yes I went to all "O" ring fitting. Used the Eaton fittings with barrier hose.
Cut and crimp in the car with small tools. No more cutting hoses to service items.

Date: June 11, 2019 10:11PM

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of switching over to the o-ring type fittings so I guess I need to start looking for an oxy torch for brazing.

I started looking at the Eaton EZ clip system and they mention that it is designed to work exclusively with Weatherhead GH134W hose. Is this true or will the work with other brands of barrier hose?

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 12, 2019 06:36AM

Freeman wrote: " I guess I need to start looking for an oxy torch for brazing."

Craig mentions: A/C fittings are almost all made of aluminum. Can you braze aluminum?

Also, I've heard good reports about EZ-clip but I've never tried it. My guess: If the manufacturer says "The system works exclusively with Weatherhead GH134W hose" I'd say you'd better use it. Why not?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: June 12, 2019 06:57AM

While most all your respondents have been for the changeover, let me offer one opposing view, taken from my personal experience.

The barb fittings, along with non-barrier hoses, are reasonably reliable in sealing. For example, I took apart a system in my project car, which had been in storage for 17 1/2 years before I bought it, and an additional 17 1/2 years sitting in the back of my shop. So for a total of 35+ years, it hadn't been run at all, not even turned over (as a result, one of the engine's cylinders had stuck.) BUT when I went to open the system, it still had some charge in it! So it IS possible to have a virtually leak-free system.

My own '67 convertible has had only compressor shaft seals replaced in it, and it's been relatively leak-free for the 48 years that I've owned it. And in all that time I've never had occasion to do anything with the hose-to-barb fittings.

I've also installed more systems in Corvairs than I can count, all using barb fittings, and using both barrier and (predominately) used non-barrier hoses. To date, no problems.

Crimp-on (modern) fittings needed? I doubt it.

Such has been my experience with other cars' systems.

-Mark (prez of the Air'Vair Group for air conditioned Corvairs)

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 12, 2019 09:25AM

Freeman - Hosewarehouse stocks a wide variety of Eaton fittings and will cut hose to length. I used them when they were changing their online service which caused issues, but they got it all taken care of and overall the service was good. Note most of the EATON fittings are steel.

See [hosewarehouse.com]

A local shop is expert at aluminum welding and took care of that for me. I only had to modify the evaporator fittings, one steel (from Eaton) the other aluminum that I got as a repair fitting at the local FLAPS.

To change ALL your fittings would be a lot of work, but maybe cnicol has a list of parts.

Date: June 13, 2019 01:41PM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would use regular barrier hose. Reduced tends to kink.
>
> Yes 8,10,12
>
> I haven't seen a dryer with fittings on one side. I would just use a 180-degree fitting on the far side.
>
> You can EASILY damage the evap or cond if you try to put barrier hose on either one and once on, they're not coming off, ever. I recommend cutting the barbed fittings off and welding new o-ring fittings in their places. Super simple to service and they almost never leak. If you do this, you'll be happy you did.

Craig, I've decided to do as you have suggested and weld new o-ring fittings in place of the slip on hose clamp stuff. Can you (or anyone) tell me where to find the weld on type fittings? All I can seem to find is the crimp style fittings. I also bought a Mastercool Crimper to build the hoses with.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: June 13, 2019 01:52PM

Everytime I see a '65 condenser (Or a picture, for that matter) My mind thinks, "How could Chevy even consider letting this untidy/cluttered-looking mess out the doors!") '66, and on, were SUCH an improvement! confused smiley
Just my .02!

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Date: June 13, 2019 04:35PM

Stitch, that is the whole reason I have waited 5 years to put the AC back in. I like the way the engine looks in it's base configuration. That being said, I'm getting too old and cranky to be without AC during Texas summers so I guess I'm just going to have to put up with having an ugly engine bay.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 13, 2019 07:22PM

67 airvair Wrote:
> While most all your respondents have been for the changeover, let me offer one opposing view, taken from my personal experience.
>
> The barb fittings, along with non-barrier hoses, are reasonably reliable in sealing. For example, I took apart a system in my project car, which had been in storage for 17 1/2 years before I bought it, and an additional 17 1/2 years sitting in the back of my shop. So for a total of 35+ years, it hadn't been run at all, not even turned over (as a result, one of the engine's cylinders had stuck.) BUT when I went to open the system, it still had some charge in it! So it IS possible to have a virtually leak-free system.
>
> My own '67 convertible has had only compressor shaft seals replaced in it, and it's been relatively leak-free for the 48 years that I've owned it. And in all that time I've never had occasion to do anything with the hose-to-barb fittings.
>
> I've also installed more systems in Corvairs than I can count, all using barb fittings, and using both barrier and (predominately) used non-barrier hoses. To date, no problems.
>
> Crimp-on (modern) fittings needed? I doubt it.
>
> Such has been my experience with other cars' systems.
>
> -Mark (prez of the Air'Vair Group for air conditioned Corvairs)

I am with Mark on his experience and expertise. I know of a 1962 A/C car that was still functioning perfectly until the day that the engine was removed for a donor to another Corvair last year. To this day the air conditioning system is still intact, and I am relatively certain that when it finally is removed to be reinstalled into another Corvair, that the only thing that will be missing temporarily, is the refrigerant that will be captured and reused.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 13, 2019 08:36PM

junkman Wrote:
> 67 airvair Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > While most all your respondents have been for the changeover, let me offer one opposing view, taken from my personal experience.
> >
> > The barb fittings, along with non-barrier hoses, are reasonably reliable in sealing. For example, I took apart a system in my project car, which had been in storage for 17 1/2 years before I bought it, and an additional 17 1/2 years sitting in the back of my shop. So for a total of 35+ years, it hadn't been run at all, not even turned over (as a result, one of the engine's cylinders had stuck.) BUT when I went to open the system, it still had some charge in it! So it IS possible to have a virtually leak-free system.
> >
> > My own '67 convertible has had only compressor shaft seals replaced in it, and it's been relatively leak-free for the 48 years that I've owned it. And in all that time I've never had occasion to do anything with the hose-to-barb fittings.
> >
> > I've also installed more systems in Corvairs than I can count, all using barb fittings, and using both barrier and (predominately) used non-barrier hoses. To date, no problems.
> >
> > Crimp-on (modern) fittings needed? I doubt it.
> >
> > Such has been my experience with other cars' systems.
> >
> > -Mark (prez of the Air'Vair Group for air conditioned Corvairs)
>
> I am with Mark on his experience and expertise. I know of a 1962 A/C car that was still functioning perfectly until the day that the engine was removed for a donor to another Corvair last year. To this day the air conditioning system is still intact, and I am relatively certain that when it finally is removed to be reinstalled into another Corvair, that the only thing that will be missing temporarily, is the refrigerant that will be captured and reused.

I don't disagree with this assessment but the original hoses with my system were destroyed during the removal process years ago so those are not available. In searching for A/C hoses, the prevailing returns are for Barrier and Reduced Barrier with no mention of Standard or Non-Barrier hoses. I can also see the advantage of using O-ring type fittings for ease of service in the future. Also important to me is that I like the cleaner look of the beadlock and O-ring style fittings. I know it's not original but since I'm using a Sanden compressor, original is already out the window.

Thank you all for your comments and experience. I learn something new here on a daily basis and appreciate everyone's input.

Freeman
Rowlett, TX
62 Monza "AirVair"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.