Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
63 Stabilizer Bar
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 09, 2019 04:10PM

I was working on a 63 Spyder convertible. While installing an electric fuel pump I noticed there is no sway bar. There is provision in the crossmember and A-arms. I would need the bar itself, inner links, outer clamps and bushings. I suppose it should have a 5/8 bar which I do not have.

Would it be tough to get a 13/16 LM bar to fit in those "tabs" on the A-Arms?
Would a LM bar be a little stiff for the 63 suspension?
I just sold a complete 64 Spyder front suspension. I'm guessing that had a 3/4 rather than 5/8 anyway.

It's not really here for that, I guess I'm wondering if 63 parts are hard to come by. It seems like it should have one.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 63 Stabilizer Bar
Posted by: blackspyder ()
Date: June 09, 2019 05:13PM

I put a 65 sway bar in my 63 spyder. Getting into the A-arms is tricky, but it does work and I have not had any issues with it. It is not too stiff for the front of an EM, in my opinion.

Roger Fedor
Whitehall, PA
1963 Spyder Coupe, currently undergoing re-restoration

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: June 09, 2019 05:51PM

I would recommend getting 64 arms if you want to use a later bar than 62-3. The angles of the bars are radically different.

Crawford Rose

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: June 09, 2019 06:17PM

Jim - PM sent

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 09, 2019 06:55PM

1962 is smaller than the 1963, and the 1963 is smaller than the 1964. GM kept changing the bar size, until they got it right. Problem is that they don't fit previous years. I ran into this problem on my 1962 trying to find missing parts.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 09, 2019 07:19PM

Clark's only shows 2 sizes 62-63 and 64-up. Are they wrong?
I know they are wrong on the steel bushing size for the '64 links. To use their nylon link bushings on a '64 you have to order the '65 up steel bushings or at least that has been the case on the 3 sets I have installed on '64s.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 09, 2019 07:48PM

Just checked my parts book, and Clarks is correct, and I was wrong. Group 7.420... Must have been something else that I was thinking of.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 10, 2019 05:04AM

I would probably want to find 63 parts instead of getting into a whole big thing. It would be better than nothing. I'm glad to know the shape is different.

It's leaving today but for next time I would need to find a 63 bar, inner links to crossmember and outer clamps.

My hypothesis was 64 bar was made bigger because of softer rear suspension. Am I on track or all wet?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: June 14, 2019 04:23AM

So just to get it straight in my mind, the 64 bar is shaped like the 65-69 and 62-63 have a shape of their own?

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: June 14, 2019 02:44PM

Could be but I can't see how any different shape would fit except maybe longer if the mounts on the control arms are moved out. It is tight in there so that is the only difference I can think of that would still fit the car.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: EM-racer ()
Date: June 15, 2019 04:16PM

My autocross 63 car has the LM bar installed and it works fine, I did not install it, was done before I got the car, so don't know what was needed to make it fit !!!
Gene Barr
Eustis Fl.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.