Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Hubcap Insert Restoration
Posted by: MoxyRamone ()
Date: June 08, 2019 03:30PM

Anybody here ever restore a stock hubcap insert? I have 8 of them and they all have the silver finish flaking off. Is there a way to remove the finish and re-coat them? Just wondering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hubcap Insert Restoration
Posted by: redrevo117 ()
Date: June 08, 2019 09:17PM

I too would like to know about this for my 1963 monza 900

a very rusty 1963 Monza 900 convertible

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 09, 2019 06:09AM

The silver that looks like "chrome" was applied to a highly polished part of the plastic. I am not certain if you could just spray it with silver paint to accomplish the same effect. This was the same technique that was used on the center emblem on the 1964 Corvair nose bar. This particular type of die to produce these type of plastic inserts is very costly to replicate today, since it is all hand work to getting the mirror finish that is required. When the 1964 grille bar was reproduced 20 plus years ago, it was the most difficult and expensive part of the reproduction costs. Today, it might even be more difficult, since some of the paints used back then are no longer available. Hard to believe that even household oil based paint is no longer on the shelves. Only water based!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: June 09, 2019 07:50AM

Junkman wrote: " Hard to believe that even household oil based paint is no longer on the shelves. Only water based!"

Craig adds: I remember reading years ago that painting your front door with oil based paint emitted more VOCs than a trip to the paint store and back in your catalyst-equipped car.

If you lived in L.A. in the late '60s you know there's no comparison to the relatively good air quality in today's L.A. I guess it's good overall to have fewer VOCs but it's really only noticeable in previously polluted cities.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:11AM

Always living north or south of the LA Basin....for decades my eyes would burn.
Sometimes bad enough to have to pull over!

Being in a traffic jam was like a gas chamber!

Jimi Hendrix sang about "Purple Haze" I remember Purple sky.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: stitch ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:22AM

I always thought Hendrix was talking about Lysergic acid diethylamide in the late 60's! ggg
Pretty rough years for moi..eye popping smiley!

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

'Ms Penny'
!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:06PM

Craig
painting your front door with oil based paint emitted more VOCs

I solved the problem by painting my home front door (steel with vinyl 1/2 circle window) with Deltron Black! 20 years and still looks great! Never even waxed it, but thought about it.winking smiley

I did this on my shop front roll up door back in the 80s, painted that one black with RM Super Max!

Painted the iron railings I made with Deltron also.

I've pained lots of furniture with car paint for interior decorators over the years. Best was an entire bathroom remodel with new cabinets. Cabinet maker dropped off all the doors and drawer fronts for me to paint a shade of pink. I showed up on site to paint the stiles. I brushed those.

Oh, there he goes off topic again.grinning smiley

In the Buick Bugle I saw an article on plastic emblem restoration. I will have to locate it. I remember it was polish the front of the emblem, and use VHT paint on the backside. Tedious but good results were shown.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:21PM

Frank DuVal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I've pained lots of furniture with car paint for interior decorators over the years. Best was an entire bathroom remodel with new cabinets. Cabinet maker dropped off all the doors and drawer fronts for me to paint a shade of pink. I showed up on site to paint the stiles. I brushed those.
>
> Oh, there he goes off topic again.grinning smiley

I worked in the finish shop of a painting company.
Shot a lot of Lacquer, and Enamel, but I do remember taking one job over to an auto body shop and having them do an entire kitchen in automotive paint.
It turned out rather well.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:28PM

I just checked the available online Buick Bugles, and the issue has to be before September of 2015.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.