Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: New U-Joint won't fit
Posted by: Swngaxl ()
Date: June 09, 2019 01:54PM

To answer a couple of questions, first is YES, the U-joints came from Clark's. As for me, I have been working off and on with Corvairs since 1974, but will admit it has been around 20 years since I replaced a U-Joint. Don't remember ever running into this before. I plan to take it all apart again tomorrow, measure everything again and record the numbers this time with my good calipers. First measurements of old vs new were so close I moved on, then noticed how much difference there was in the lengths of the cups. Overall looked the same, cup length not even close. Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. But I can say this is the first time I have worked on this particular truck, so who knows what was done in the past.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: June 09, 2019 02:27PM

If the end to end length was the same, I wouldn't read anything into the different cup length, I have noticed it before too, but everything went together fine. Others recently have had to use some fine emery cloth on the clips to get them to seat properly, but the comments about tapping on the webbing between the trunions to help free it up cannot be discounted either. Good luck.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4 - Artesian Turquoise w/ white interior
1966 Corvair Corsa Coupe, 140/4 - Aztec Bronze w/ black interior
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: June 09, 2019 04:29PM

They are common U-joints, not some sort of a special Corvair only thing.

To go O/T for a bit, I've found that "premium" ones sometimes have smaller and therefore more needle bearings. In that case the innards are not swappable. Sometimes when you drop a cap on the floor you just can't find all those pesky little buggers.

I made a curved spacer to go in there if using a press. It's about 1/3 of the circle from a piece of pipe. I don't know that I use it that much.

My neighbor owns a transmission shop and makes it look super easy to change one with a hammer. He doesn't seem to get dirty when he works on cars either.

If you didn't remove it with a press I don't imagine that you bent the yoke.

If you have a "premium" u-joint with many small needles, one of those could be dislodged and keeping the cap from going all the way on. That's usually my problem like others have said. A small needle would give a different illusion than a regular sized needle.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: June 09, 2019 05:25PM

I have seen many times that the yoke collapses and causes this issue especially when the joints are replaced with a hammer. It is easy to collapse the yoke but not easy to spread it.

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: June 09, 2019 06:19PM

#153 is the correct part number for Corvair u-joints.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: Swngaxl ()
Date: June 10, 2019 08:21PM

Got it back together today. Didn't have to take it apart, somehow managed to get the clip in the groove. Hydrolock from the extra grease I put in the cups? Maybe. But I'm not complaining, and not asking too many questions. I'm just going with the good luck on this one, and moving on. Thanks again to all who gave suggestions!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.