Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New U-Joint won't fit
Posted by: Swngaxl ()
Date: June 07, 2019 06:00PM

Trying to install new U-joints in my '63 Rampy. Spent way too long today on the first one, and failed. Look at the attached photos, the problem is I can't get the pistons in far enough to seat the snap rings on both ends. Has anyone run into this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 06:38PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New U-Joint won't fit
Posted by: rfw66 ()
Date: June 07, 2019 06:12PM

Whenever I haven't been able to get the snap ring in the groves, I found that I had one roller bearing that had fallen in the way. It wouldn't allow the U-joint to seat properly. Good luck!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 07, 2019 06:36PM

And some have reported to still have to surface the snap ring.... he looks close..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: June 07, 2019 06:37PM

With a large punch make the retainer bulge out on that side by hitting on the other side. that should allow you to install the other retainer ring. The u-joint will probably be stiff so what you do is take your hammer and hit the yoke on the side that you just put the retainer in. that will slightly move the cup on that side and the retainer will now be bulged out a little and the u-joint will now move freely.

Do not hit the yoke on the flat where the retainer goes!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: June 07, 2019 06:51PM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With a large punch make the retainer bulge out on that side by hitting on the other side. that should allow you to install the other retainer ring. The u-joint will probably be stiff so what you do is take your hammer and hit the yoke on the side that you just put the retainer in. that will slightly move the cup on that side and the retainer will now be bulged out a little and the u-joint will now move freely.
>
> Do not hit the yoke on the flat where the retainer goes!

OK, thanks, but this makes no sense to me. what are you calling a Retainer? Where to hit it on the other side? What is meant by bulge out? Sorry, just having trouble following what you are saying here.

I tried to load two pictures, but the other didn't attach for whatever reason. it showed the other piston, with the retainer ring correctly seated in the groove. The pic shown in my post shows the retainer clip in the ID of the bore, but not in the groove because the cup needs to move inward another .010 or so.

Date: June 07, 2019 06:52PM

Correction: I keep calling these pistons, they are bearing cups. Sorry about the confusion!

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: June 07, 2019 07:31PM

I would bet that one of the needle bearings feel in and is keeping the bearing cup from seating . It has happened to me more than once. Now I ad some grease to the needle bearings to keep them in place.

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 07, 2019 08:06PM

If a roller fell out of place the thicknes
would be enough that the snap ring would
be outside the yoke instead of just
being 'close' as his pics show.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: June 07, 2019 08:06PM

rowin4 Wrote:
> I would bet that one of the needle bearings feel in and is keeping the bearing cup from seating . It has happened to me more than once. Now I ad some grease to the needle bearings to keep them in place.

I did add some grease to hold them in place, and was very careful. But one may have slipped anyway.

Oh, and to get it as close as I have so far, the joint is very stiff and is hard to move by hand. Are these pre-lubed from Clarks? It looked like it came packed with a white grease of some kind.

Posted by: 63vert ()
Date: June 07, 2019 10:22PM

> Oh, and to get it as close as I have so far, the joint is very stiff and is hard to move by hand.

once you have clips on, hold the yolk and give the housing a whack with a dead blow hammer (not the u-joint). That will help “set” the u-joint in the housing and it should articulate much easier.

Rockingham, NC

1962 Greenbrier
65 110 4speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 10:23PM by 63vert.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 07, 2019 10:33PM

The only way that you will know for certain is to take it apart again, and check inside. I usually get them started, and push them together using my vise. If you try to hammer the bearing cups into the yoke, you will almost always disturb the needles, and one will fall out. Don't be stubborn, just take it apart, and see what went wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 07, 2019 10:46PM

Swngaxl, If you had a hard time getting the old joint out, you may have bent the yoke inward slightly, and it can be very hard to straighten. Clips are sometimes furnished with new joints in 2 or 3 thicknesses. If you don't find a needle out of place, you could gain some room by grinding equal amounts of metal off both sides of the trunnion.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Date: June 08, 2019 08:03AM

Does this have anything to do with it? The overall length appears the same, but all of this is longer on the new joint. Cup, shaft, and needles.

Attachments:
Date: June 08, 2019 08:05AM

Brizo Wrote:
> Swngaxl, If you had a hard time getting the old joint out, you may have bent the yoke inward slightly, and it can be very hard to straighten. Clips are sometimes furnished with new joints in 2 or 3 thicknesses. If you don't find a needle out of place, you could gain some room by grinding equal amounts of metal off both sides of the trunnion.

By grinding metal off the trunion, do you mean this part, that I am calling the shaft?

Attachments:
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: June 08, 2019 08:29AM

Whoa. I have never had to grind a Trunion. I have had to apply a little hammer force to the ears to correct for bending caused when pressing stuck joint out of ears. Trick to do. I use a flat Bar/flattened old chisel and apply force at the end of the ear away from the shaft.

There are YouTube videos of applying hammer force to the ear next to the shaft to relieve tight joints. Google for them. This is also a common problem. Not just Corvairs, either.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 09, 2019 08:46AM

Also have never had to grind a u joint to install. I also suggest disassemble and inspect (for a needle that fell in), Has happened many times (to me), I also prefer using a vise to march the cups in over a hammer. Also I prefer to install the first cup over half way (much deeper than it will be when finished on the install) which holds that cups needles and prevents them from falling out. I also like to clean up the yokes to remove all the crud/road tar/ grease/ crap just for ease of installation. I suspect some of the professionals could do this job faster than I can type this.

Posted by: Brizo ()
Date: June 09, 2019 09:23AM

No, you don't "HAVE" to grind off the trunnion. It was offered as an option to gain a little clearance. If you could see some of the mangled Corvette half-shaft U-joints I've repaired over the years you might understand where I'm coming from. It can be hard to straighten a bent yoke ear without doing even more damage in the process. We don't know what the ability, or experience of Swngaxl is, we don't even know if the his new U-joint is correct! I didn't feel like typing a whole page of detailed instructions on U-joint replacement, I just wanted to offer an idea that might help out.

Dan Brizendine,
'64 8door Greenbrier 140 PG. "In beautiful Wanamaker Indiana...with one stop light and 5 pizza shops"

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 09, 2019 11:06AM

Not on any Vette... but on our low Torque Vairs... I use Emory cloth to open up the bores so that the new cups SLIDE IN.... then the clips retain them. never a problem, even on a Sandcar with Large paddles...

Also... TIP: Need a Port-a Power?

Weld up one end of a wheel cylinder...and an old single MC with 3 ft pedal

Steel rod against aluminum piston.... you'll be surprised what it will push.

Saw this first in the '60's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 09, 2019 11:55AM

If you have the wrong U joint, then you need to get the correct one. For starters, if it doesn't fit correctly, then no matter what you do to it, it isn't going to work like the correct one. Where did you purchase the joint, and what is the brand and part number. I'm willing to look it up to see if it is correct. Also, if the box was opened, you have no idea if the correct part is in the correct box. Lots of this happens in the retail auto parts stores.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: June 09, 2019 12:41PM

He said the joint was from Clark's. I would check the cap to cap distance of the one you removed and the one you installed. They should be essentially the same.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2019 Express Car Hauler (Aluminum, Enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP
2017 Corvette Z06 Convertible

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.