Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Wire wheel spinner knockoffs?
Posted by: speedingjake ()
Date: June 06, 2019 04:52PM

I'm not sure that I am going about this the right way.....but how do you get theses wheels off? I'm wanting to get them off to clean them up better but by hitting them with a sand hammer in the direction that indicates "OFF" and they wont budge.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wire wheel spinner knockoffs?
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: June 06, 2019 05:13PM

See the OFF and arrow pointing a direction?

LEAD HAMMER by GM to keep from marring the
ears of the knock-off.

Sides are opposite each other, pay attention
to arrows and sides the wheels come from.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: June 06, 2019 05:38PM

I have been hitting them in the right direction with a sand hammer. I don't have a lead hammer. Does the lead hammer provide a harder impact?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 06, 2019 05:53PM

Yes

Date: June 06, 2019 06:30PM

S0 a log splitting maul and a few beers isn't the right tools either.....smiling smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: June 06, 2019 06:33PM

You can wrap the ear in leather or other material that will absorb a hard hit from a sledge hammer, or a 5lb hammer. It works and does not damage anything... unless your aim is bad.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 06, 2019 06:36PM

Hopefully you are planning on new tires while you have those wheels off for cleaning. eye popping smiley

Those puppies look OLD and rather cracked !
6.50 - 13 4 ply

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Date: June 06, 2019 06:46PM

Nope, I am selling the whole car. Just cleaning it up and posting new cleaned up photos as requested from a few members that have given me some great advise.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 06, 2019 07:07PM

A piece of 2x4 held in place with one hand, and strike the 2x4 with a heavy steel hammer. The Knock Off will come loose with 2 or 3 strikes, but you need to jack the car up to finish removing the nut.
Could you please post a picture of the spare tire carrier? I am curious if the wheels are original to the car. If they are original to the car, then it should show on the data plate in the ACC line. thanks Junk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 07, 2019 06:41AM

This is how it looks.....as is not cleaned up. How do you tell if they are original to the car?

Attachments:
Posted by: mwr ()
Date: June 07, 2019 07:30PM

junkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I am curious if the wheels are original to the car. If they are original to the car, then it should show on the data plate in the ACC line. thanks Junk

I do not believe the wheels would show up as an accessory code. From David Trull / Corvair Gold:

"When decoding ACC line on the Fisher bodytags, be aware that bodytags do not includeany options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher wasonly concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body."

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 07, 2019 08:43PM

mwr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> junkman Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> >I am curious if the wheels are original to the car. If they are original to the car, then it should show on the data plate in the ACC line. thanks Junk
>
> I do not believe the wheels would show up as an accessory code. From David Trull / Corvair Gold:
>
> "When decoding ACC line on the Fisher bodytags, be aware that bodytags do not includeany options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher wasonly concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body."

Yes, but didn't Fisher Body install the Spare Tire Mount?
Isn't it different than for regular wheels?
Isn't that why it was asked what it looks like?
Though I don't remember ever seeing one like what is being shown!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - Sale pending
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 07, 2019 09:46PM

Heres another

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 07, 2019 09:47PM

I don't know if they did or not, the spare tire mount bolts on so it does not require alteration of the shell.

My car was ordered with the K-H wheels, there is nothing in the ACC line for it, and I have never seen such a code documented for that option. What, if it exists, is the letter that denotes wire wheels?

Date: June 07, 2019 09:47PM

That's my car, Matt smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2019 09:48PM by mwr.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 07, 2019 09:48PM

Did you buy it from JIM in Sacramento?

Topic is All Black Spyder

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: June 07, 2019 09:52PM

Yes, in 2009.

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: June 07, 2019 10:07PM

Both spare tire carriers as show in the pictures above, are NOT original wire wheel carriers. The originals were made from spare tire carriers that were not drilled for the two hold down bolts. There are other differences, but the two holes is the easy one to decipher and original from one that has been made up at a later date.
I have no confirmation if there was a Fisher Body code for the spare tire carrier or not. This is why I asked the question about the carrier and the data plate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: June 07, 2019 11:03PM

I have several reasons to believe that is not correct, ranging from the absence of captive nuts and that the holes were punched, not drilled after the fact in a separate operation, and because I spoke to the original owner of my car several times before he passed away, and the wheels were ordered with the car. I can think of several people to ask. I'm not saying there couldn't be variations, in fact I'd like to see the ones on the 63 Spyder prototype and the '64 GM show car here in CA, both of which are indisputably documented to have cone with them from the factory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.