Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Convertible top intermittent problems
Posted by: cochranrg ()
Date: June 08, 2019 08:44AM

Thanks for that Chris! But I still can't really see where it is. Is this on the underside of the car? I've tried to trace the wires but loose them in a bundle. What book is this by the way? I'd like to see the entire article.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 08, 2019 08:52AM

Thanks Chris, appreciate the photo. What book is this? I'd like to see the entire chapter. But, I still can't find the CB. It looks like it's supposed to be in the engine compartment by the battery? There is nothing there, or a place to put something like that.

Date: June 08, 2019 11:19AM

Ok, finally think I've nailed the problem. Believe it is the relay. I did finally find the wire to the CB and there is no CB in place, wired directly to the battery. I'll get a relay and see what happens when replaced.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! This is a great forum.

Rob

1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Bennett, Colorado

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 08, 2019 04:43PM

Sounds good Rob but here is some food for thought. If your relay is bad (been overheated?) and you have no protection for the system (no Ccool smiley and your motor is pulling too much current (amps), you should look into why. Examples of why have been listed here.

Posted by: 19sixty5 ()
Date: June 08, 2019 04:47PM

I wonder why the Corvair didn't use hydraulics like other cars? Lack of room for the cylinders maybe?

65 Crown Hardtop

Huntsville, AL

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: June 08, 2019 04:52PM

They did. From 1962 thru 1964. For whatever reason the engineers decided to change the system on the late models.

Date: June 09, 2019 08:31AM

Thanks Tim. I'll probably get a CB and put it in line. Just want to get this thing working first. I did take the relay apart, looks fine. Ugh. Hoping it's not the motor. Won't work at all now. But I tested the switch, that's good. All power is good, wiring looks good. It was working intermittently but now not at all. I'll keep fiddling with it and will eventually figure it out.

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds good Rob but here is some food for thought. If your relay is bad (been overheated?) and you have no protection for the system (no Ccool smiley and your motor is pulling too much current (amps), you should look into why. Examples of why have been listed here.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 24, 2019 06:38AM

Update:

More pics for future searchers.

Here are a few photos sent to me by Tim Shortle showing a correct factory installed power top circuit breaker from a 65 Corsa 180 confirmed to be original.

The power top circuit breaker is on a small bracket and attached with two screws to the left rear frame rail a few inches behind the red plastic power junction block that also attaches to the frame adjacent to the battery.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 24, 2019 06:39AM

Here is a pic from my 65 Monza convertible with a power top. The circuit breaker in this case was removed by a previous owner and they wired it straight to the battery junction block so it now has no over-amp protection. You can see where it used to be if you can fit your head down in there next to the battery. I used cell phone camera to get the proper viewing angle without having to pull the battery. I'll be installing either a replacement breaker or a fusible link to the power top when this car goes back into service.

Note: The photo I showed earlier in this thread is a correct photo of a power top relay and wires that are under the top well (package shelf) but there is no circuit breaker located there.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 06:39AM by azdave.

Attachments:
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.