Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Re-Identification Bodytag Hiden-VIN
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 02, 2019 03:00PM

Corvaircorsa@Germany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THERE IS REALLY NO DATA AT GM OR CHEVROLET WICH can recreate a car?
>
> VW and MB can tell you everything about you car.

It has been said that documentation of vehicles built by GM/Chevrolet are not available.
The reasons offered have varied from being destroyed by fire to simply being discarded after the production year , or periodically as they held little or no value to the manufacturer.
Retention varied from plant to plant which is why some records appear to have survived.

Here are links to a couple published articles I found that might give credence to what I have said. Don't take my word for it, research it and arrive at your own conclusion.
Note that the Corvair is mentioned in both of the below articles.

[www.hemmings.com]

[www.corvetteactioncenter.com]

P.S.
There is a very slim chance that the vehicle in question may have been built or maybe exported to Canada. IF that is the case, there is a better chance the records might be available. It is rumored that Canadian records might exist.
[www.gmheritagecenter.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 03:05PM by Caraholic4life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: June 02, 2019 03:18PM

Here is something I found that "Claims" to be able to produce a build sheet from a V.I.N. on the Corvair. I doubt it, but if you feel brave or are willing to risk being taken advantage of, give it a shot and let us know the result.confused smiley

[www.vindecoderz.com]

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: June 02, 2019 04:15PM

Thank you Carholicforlife,

Thats what my QUestion was..

Poor Management..at GM

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: June 02, 2019 07:45PM

You can get build info on Canadian built GM products. But build info on US made Chevrolet stuff from the 70's on back is not possible.
On Corvettes, Chevelles, Novas and Camaros there is a service that utilizes the data from the shipping company that supposedly has some detail but not as much as you would get from GM.

Lee J

Date: June 03, 2019 12:53AM

oky

Date: July 29, 2019 09:46AM

!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all !!!!!!!!!!!!

we have now a Replacement VIN Tag in work together with DMV and Highway Patrol.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: July 29, 2019 06:07PM

The replacement vin tag is more like a "reassigned" vin. I am certain I don't want cars without a vin plate (unless
I get it for parts/wheels). I don't believe GM had poor management back in the day. Sorry you feel that way today
just because you have an illegal car.

Date: July 30, 2019 01:31AM

No Iam fine..

i have a Replacement VIN tag from State of California

THE LEGAL WAY..

Thanks for youre care

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: July 30, 2019 02:23AM

Corvaircorsa@Germany Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No Iam fine..
>
> i have a Replacement VIN tag from State of California
>
> THE LEGAL WAY..
>
> Thanks for youre care

To many collectors, your car may be legal with a replacement California VIN tag, however, it is worth only about 50% of what a car with its original VIN and Data Plate is worth. Sure hope that you are buying this car at a very deep discount. I would also check with your countries policies about bringing in a car with a replacement VIN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: July 30, 2019 08:03AM

No Problem it Doesnt need any Tag if the stamped Hidden VIN is There...to bring it to germany..

No Problem i dont think that someone in Germany buy's a Race Prepared Corvair anyway..

thank you for care..
we will have lots of fun with this car to force Porsches

Date: July 30, 2019 08:30AM

forgot its a Race Car Only

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: July 30, 2019 10:00AM

As others have indicated and as I understand it, GM didn't keep track of those details (paint, trim, options) because that was what was done when the car body was finalized by Fisher. They kept track of it, not GM. Volkswagen and Mercedes Benz did everything in-house, whereas GM was General Motors, with car makes, models, and special editions being assembled all over the country (heck, Corvairs were built in three different places and they were one car under the umbrella).

Since Fisher Body is a belly-up company, for all we know the "index cards" of details on each body they built may have existed, but eventually got shredded. It isn't that records were never kept, it's that they were on paper, and as such are now as lost as the Ark of the Covenant is, in that warehouse.

Maybe some motivated soul will one day track all of it down and put it in a browsable database. I'd like the info for my own car. really. I know that there is a lot of info available through my own VIN and body tags, it's just that there are little things I'm curious about that you can't get any other way--like where the car was first bought and when.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: August 01, 2019 09:59AM

there are little things I'm curious about that you can't get any other way--like where the car was first bought and when.

Eric -

Do you happen to have the Warranty Booklet for your car?
They typically show the original dealer, and sales date (and original owner).

For example - I know my 66 Convert came from Warren Sales, in East Moline IL (now a mexican restaurant), and the orignal owner Ben Ryan Jr's obit...
[qconline.com]

Eric P.
DeWitt, IA

Date: August 01, 2019 11:22AM

For General Info regarding the Hidden VIN -- it is only a PARTIAL VIN and does not contain the Primary vehicle identification.
For example the first digits for a Corvair Monza are 105 1 = Chevrolet 05 = Corvair Monza
Next are two digits that indicate the body style 37 = coupe 67 = convertible and 39 = sport sedan (four door ht)

NONE of this Primary VIN is included on the Hidden VIN.

As showin in this photo:

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: August 02, 2019 06:40PM

YES SIR so nobody knows if it was a 500 Monza or Corsa just on the Different Body Parts wich may still at the Car and some Decals or wiring HArness and seats Intereieur ect.. i know That....

but if nothing is still in there the last digits are making shure that the Car wasnt Stolen and that it is a Corvair

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 03, 2019 08:25AM

IF it was a 500

1 No holes in Wheel openings for trim

2 Bench seat was standard.. missing the brace in the center for bucket seats.

3 no door switches for "Courtesy lights" but small hole will be there.

IF it was a Corsa Turbo engined car...

1 There will be the opening below the right rear bumper for the Turbo's tailpipe.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 03, 2019 08:28AM

Date: September 09, 2019 07:38PM

Jup tatsächlich Mine. Braucht IT From Yonkers NY in 2017

Posted by: playerpage ()
Date: September 10, 2019 11:10AM

Eric P (isucorvair),

I know it wasn't stolen, but the seller of my car lost the original paperwork. I had to apply for a new title (which ended up with a VIN typo, an extra "4" at the end.)

So no warranty card. Sadly, it leaves me even unaware of which number owner I am.

Eric C. Player, Porterville, CA
Member: CORSA National, Central Coast CORSA, South Coast CORSA, and San Joaquin Valley Corvair Club
THEN: 1965 Monza 110 Canary Yellow
1967 Monza 140 Red
1966 500 110, Black; nicknamed "Shadow"
1965 Monza 110, Camaro Yellow; nicknamed "Silver"
NOW: 1966 Corsa 180 Turbo; nicknamed "Bluvair"

"It would not have helped if I had [taken notes], as he would start a paragraph with, 'It is therefore obvious. . .'
and go on from there to matters which may have been obvious to him and God but to no one else."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, character of Daniel B. Davis, 'The Door Into Summer.'

------

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: September 10, 2019 02:30PM

Eric P. (in Calif.), I am not sure I follow you. If the seller lost his title, couldn't he just go to the DMV and get another one (while selling you the car)?
And what is this "warranty card" you speak of? Your vin tag will have the complete vehicle identification number.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.