Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Another windshield channel question.
Posted by: rotted65 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 03:02PM

The on going saga of the windshield channel replacement. I've got the old channel out. Wow were there alot of spot welds. Anyway, I know I still have a way to go in the prep before I weld. But the area on the dash that the channel
was spot welded to, do I cut that off and butt weld the new metal to the dash. Or do I attempt to put holes in it and plug weld?

69 monza 110 PG gone many years ago
65 corsa vert 4spd gone
New toy 66 monza vert 140 4spd

Attachments:
Re: Another windshield channel question.
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 15, 2019 04:43PM

Holes and plug weld as I recall.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:05PM

Fabricate body gauge steel to replace the badly rusted sections of the dash and once that is done mig plug weld the replacement part to it and the panel below it. I see you are using a Clark's repro replacement panel. Be ready to reshape as needed and test fit everything (hood, cowl panel, and windshield) to ensure good fit and gaps before welding the new part in at all. It is often necessary to pie cut the middle rear of the new panel to adjust its curve for a good fit. The top edges of the part are also not very crisply formed (the original is quite crisp), if you want this to be just right building these edges with weld and grinding to shape is the best fix. filler can be used to shape them but the durability is not great.

Another not be sure to thoroughly seal all seams with quality seam sealer once the panel is in place so you have no leaks after. Also make sure the drain holes at both corners of the glass opening are there and open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 05:08PM by TerribleTed.

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:18PM

I butt welded to the dash surface. I had to go to the point where the weld was under the pad.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:32PM

kenzen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I butt welded to the dash surface. I had to go to the point where the weld was under the pad.

This is visually good but it is weak as the overlapping steel at this location adds considerable strength to the cowl.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 16, 2019 06:19AM

I helped my glass guy install a windshield in a 65 converible where the bottom channel had been replaced.

The top to bottom fit was tighter than he would have liked, he said any closer and there would not have been room for the trim. Also there was a gap in the corners between the trim and the body. You can't bend the trim sideways so there's not much that can be done now. In your case, maybe you can put the trim together to see how it will look in the corners before you call it done. It'a a little heartbreaking later once it's all painted.

The little screws that Clarks sells for the trim work pretty good. EXCEPT they're about a Grade 1 phillips and the hole you drill has to be the perfect size, too small and the phillips fouls or the screw breaks off. When all is well they have a shoulder that tightens at the proper depth and the head is a good shape to hold the trim clips okay. They are a whole lot better than nothing so I hesitate to be a fussy complainer. If I didn't have a big set of Number drills I would have been in trouble. Another one of those jobs that take a lot more time than it seems like it should.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.