Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Paint Code
Posted by: Intrinsic ()
Date: May 15, 2019 11:24AM

I am trying to interpret the paint code from my 63 Rampside. I see 7290 in the image, but that is not a 63 code.

Thanks for your help.

1963 Rampside Standard
1970 VW Type III Fastback
Atlanta, GA

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint Code
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 16, 2019 05:24AM

Wonder if that is a GM number, as all Corvair paint codes are three-digit. It might have been a GM show car. Check to see if there is anything special on it, such as highly optioned vehicle, unusual equipment, just anything out of the ordinary.

-Mark

Date: May 16, 2019 05:30AM

Its perplexing, isn't it. The truck is an ordinary Rampside. The only options I can identify are the drivers side sun visor and arm rests (now missing).

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 16, 2019 05:51AM

Is it possible that the truck was sold to be a fleet vehicle and not sold to general public? That may be a special code for a fleet company paint code.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 16, 2019 06:02AM

That code is "729G" - "G" not "0" - "G" was the ECL for a 2-tone Rampside ("729" = 2-tone light yellow.
Steve

Date: May 16, 2019 06:05AM

But now that I look at the VIN, it does not Jive with the data plate. The VIN would be for a 63 Rampside, but the paint code would be for a '61 Rampside. Is the VIN plate riveted or spot welded?
Steve

Date: May 16, 2019 07:02AM

Thanks, I found the 61 paint code reference in the documentation as well. I was confounded by the 61 code with the 63 VIN and thought I must be misinterpreting the information, hence my question on the forum.

Date: May 16, 2019 07:13AM

Unfortunately, I don't know the history of the vehicle.

It's possible that it was part of a fleet purchase. It would be really interesting if the paint code led us to this conclusion, as it would add a fun bit of history to our truck.

Date: May 16, 2019 07:26AM

Often a fleet vehicle would have "SPC" (special) as the paint code, but other commercial FCs typically did not.
Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.