Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rear glass + windshield gasket install $$$?
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:56PM

Noticed some water on the back metal shelf thing in my 61 Monza today (Heavy rain for weeks with no chance to dry anything up probably did it in). So the rear glass is leaking. Glass is good, but has the original gasket. The windshield does not leak (Surprisingly), but looks awful all cracked and may as well do it at the same time.

I had a local windshield guy look at it and he said before giving a final quote, it would probably be around $200 each for removal of the old gasket and installation. Does that sound reasonable to you all? I would supply the gaskets and trim clips and such.

Anyone know of anyone in NH that does this stuff? This local shop is the only place I could think of.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear glass + windshield gasket install $$$?
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:04PM

Yes. I just had a FC windshield put in. I supplied all the materials and it cost me $200 at my house. About 30 miles from their location. They are the only ones that will do these older cars here in Savannah.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: May 14, 2019 06:54PM

I would charge that much myself if doing it for someone. I also would happily pay that to someone that was experienced and guaranteed their work. I have installed many over the years. While not overtly complicated it is a pain and can easily be disastrous if the glass breaks. Often more work is needed to repair the channels or extra cleanup and painting.

Date: May 16, 2019 07:14AM

I cant find anyone who will touch mine for any amount of money and thats before they see the car. lol. I'm not afraid of having to repair the channel (rust) or anything, but i am afraid of breaking the glass.

Edit: I would gladly pay that.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 07:14AM by UnauthorizedServiceTech.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.