Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
How many garnet red 1969 models?
Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: May 14, 2019 10:09AM

Until I saw the spare Fisher Body shell painted garnet red at the dedication/opening of the Corvair Museum last May, I was under the impression every 1969 Corvair was painted blue or mint green. Then with the discussion of the fuel injection engine at the Garlit's drag racing museum, looking through the photos of that facility, saw their '69 convertible also appeared to be garnet red. Cursory search on google didn't reveal how many '69s were painted garnet red, so thought I'd pose the question here. Do records exist that show a breakdown of how many cars were painted the 15 colors that were available for 1969 Corvairs?

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many garnet red 1969 models?
Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: May 14, 2019 11:36AM

This is from the 1969 registry--may not be correct for the number produced but the number that have been reported. For example there is a very higher percentage of the production for convertibles than coupes as folks find these more worth wile to preserve. My 1969 is Olympic Gold.

ROSTER SUMMARY OF EXTERIOR COLORS
Color Paint Code %
Frost Green 59 18%
Glacier Blue 53 13%
Fathom Green 57 11%
Garnet Red 52 10%
Butternut Yellow 40 7%
Lemans Blue 71 7%
Olympic Gold 65 7%
Dover White 50 6%
Dusk Blue 51 5%
Cortez Silver 69 4%
Burgundy 67 4%
Azure Turquoise 55 3%
Burnished Brown 61 2%
Tuxedo Black 10 2%
Champagne 63 1%
Special Order SPECIAL 1%

At this point there are 1328 cars in the registry, or about 22% of total production. GM was really pushing Frost Green in 1969.

If you're interested in other info on 69s you should download the registry, it has power train, interior and etc info in it.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 14, 2019 01:43PM

Or purchase the publication made by Mark Ellis (R I P). He did a lot of research on 69s before writing his publication.

Posted by: David Malcolm ()
Date: May 14, 2019 10:00PM

The 1969 facts book by Mark is a great reference--a must have if you love your 69 but the registry has been updated since then. I believe it is also available as a file on the Facebook 1969 page.

David Malcolm
1969 Monza PG Coupe
NJ near the Meadowlands

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 15, 2019 08:05AM

David Malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
GM was really pushing Frost Green in 1969...

Craig replies:
Car makers anticipate demand based on real time (monthly) sales data so it's a "pull" thing coming from customers and purchases. The last thing an automaker wants is an inventory painted in an unpopular color.

I remember the green thing in 68/69 Dark green and lighter metallic green were very fashionable in that era.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:07AM

Avocado green
Harvest gold
Some name of bronze
Home appliances.
Been there. Lived through that.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: May 16, 2019 10:25AM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Car makers anticipate demand based on real time (monthly) sales data so it's a "pull" thing coming from customers and purchases. The last thing an automaker wants is an inventory painted in an unpopular color.

Interesting and IMO, foolish supposition. If you only have white and black and gray on the lot, what do you think they will sell?

Every new car that I looked at on the dealers' lots seemed to be white, black, gray, or silver. Very few attractive colors.
Where they did have dark blue or dark green, from 100' away they looked black.

Last new car that I bought was the featured color in the brochure, Monarch Orange. Trouble was that they had a hard time getting it to the dealers.
Ironically, I was told that they couldn't even "order" what I wanted specifically. They had to see what came in on the trucks.
How times have changed...

Kevin
Medina, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.