Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
63 Spyder hard starting 20 minutes later !
Posted by: FRANK6969 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 04:17AM

My 63 Spyder starts fairly well in the morning and runs fine. But, if I come back 20 minutes later it grinds and sputters till I have to charge the battery. It has new plugs, points, battery, fuel pump. The carb and turbo were rebuilt last spring. Any suggestions as to why the hard start the second try?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 63 Spyder hard starting 20 minutes later !
Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 13, 2019 05:22AM

The Carter YH has a link that opens the choke a little when the throttle is wide open. You can remove the link and bend it for adjustment.

The 3/16 line that goes back to the gas tank helps alleviate pressure when the engine is turned off. The Carter YH floods pretty easy. The residual pressure in the fuel line can cause raw gas to be present in the fuel bowl.
Sometimes the fuel level in the bowl needs to be lower, accomplished by adjusting the float.

The Carter YH is sensitive to fuel pressure and often the mechanical pumps available these days have too much pressure.

I'd probably remove the air cleaner and see if there's raw gas present in the carburetor throat under the 20 minutes warm conditions you describe, also at that time see if it starts better with the choke plate open.

I just looked at your post again and it says new fuel pump. I might suspect the fuel pressure thing but then it's hard to know from here.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Grandpacorvair ()
Date: May 13, 2019 05:27AM

I'd check to position of the choke when the problem occurs. It's possible that the choke is either closing too soon, or not closing soon enough. Look around under the carburetor to see if there is any gas dripping out of the throat. The YH carb is prone to that and it can make the car hard to start!

My car had that exact same issue even though I rebuilt it twice. I finally threw in the towel and sent it off to Grant Wolfe and have never had a problem since. I don't know what magic he worked, but it fixed it for good.

It 'sounds' like the problem is the engine is flooded. Try holding the pedal to the floor when it won't start.

If you're pumping the accelerator pedal trying to get it to start, don't bother. The accelerator pump in the YH carb does not work like a 'normal' carb.

Kerry Borgne
Birmingham, Michigan

1963 Spyder Convertible

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:25AM

Mine did that, but it wasn't the carb, it was a vapor locked fuel pump. Zero pressure at a hot start, had to add an electric which I only use for hot and cold starts.

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 13, 2019 09:34PM

Test for vapor lock after car sits while you are in store: Crank and no start, then get a cup of ice and ice the top of the fuel pump. If the car now starts and runs after the fuel pump top is cold, you had vapor lock.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: FRANK6969 ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:25AM

Thanks Guys, I'll check all your suggestions!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.