Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Where was this steering gearbox used?
Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:04AM

And I could not find that snap ring at any Corvair supplier of new parts. I did buy some from a specialty hardware supplier, along with some stainless steel e-clips for the accelerator rods

Sometimes that snap ring just does not make it out in good shape!grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:06AM

Which snap ring? The one on the coupler or the one high on the steering shaft? I hope to not touch the coupler snap ring.

I'll post back soon on the progress on column/shaft removal.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Date: May 13, 2019 12:06PM

Well, the column is out. I removed the impact plate but it didn't have enough maneuvering room with brake line and fuel filler tube right there. It was also hamper by the steering wheel keeping it at an angle in the hole. Removing the steering wheel, allowed enough room to move the plate down to cleat the floor pan hole.

Next time to remove a true 66 steering box, I will remove the steering wheel and any other parts necessary to access snap ring around top of steering shaft. Then I will remove the steering box and slide the box and the entire steering shaft out of the car. Heck of lot easier than trying to remove the coupler bolt and nut in the car or pull the tank.

I have the intermediate shaft off. I will take column to the bench to remove shaft from the column in order to mount it to the steering box.

Should that coupler be opened up to check its lubricant?

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2019 12:09PM

Al now would a good time to add a Collapsible section....

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 13, 2019 12:25PM

If that means another gearbox and a different steering column, don't see it happening. Though it would be nice, I have too much invested in 2 gearboxes and repair kits now.

Unless you know something that is easy and inexpensive, where I could convert my current box that is apart. Then add the collapsible section to the box and current coupler.

Now while the column is out, it will make putting the replacement PG shift in much easier and also the quartz clock. Also we will be adding a momentary switch on the lower dash to turn on electric pump to fill carb bowls after long periods of non-use or when sitting after a long run at highway speeds.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 13, 2019 12:30PM

No!! Just replace the Intermediate shaft with one.

Ebay Selections

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 13, 2019 01:54PM

Remember my 66 boxes have a 14 inch shaft to hook up to the column shaft coupler. I either would need a new gear box or a new worm gear to modify the 66 box.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 13, 2019 02:10PM

Nice thought to put in a collapsible steering shaft, but none of the parts at our vendors and none on eBay. Only worm gear I found is a 60-63 and I have one. But that one is probably trashed.

I will keep plodding on with the replacement. If someone hollers up that they have the parts I need to install the collapsible shaft system, then I may listen if price is right and I haven't got to far into the replacement. I have a quite a bit to do before I will to get back to it. PG cable, quartz clock and pump switch, then rear axles/brakes to be replaced. Then back to front axles/brakes and steering box/column.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: May 13, 2019 03:16PM

Al,
I know this is expensive, but it is available through Flaming River: [www.flamingriver.com]

Original Corvair Steering Coupler Adapter
Part No.: FR1541S $292.73 Warranty: 1 Year

All-new steering slip shaft is designed for use with our quick ratio Corvair steering box in early 1965 with telescopic columns, late 1965 and all 1966 Corvair applications. Early 1965 with telescopic columns also need FR1722DD universal joint.

The attached photo is from the Flaming River website but enlarged by 250%
The Clark's version looks similar and is shown on their page 157A.

The Clarks item is their Part number C10011XA:65-66 SHORT SHAFT STEERING BOX ADAPTOR $267.90 [www.corvair.com]

I researched the Flaming River Fast Box option a couple years ago, before sourcing a correct steering box for my telescopic column. This is why I had the information available for reference, for what it is worth.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 03:20PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:
Date: May 13, 2019 04:18PM

Caraholic:

Slightly expensive and doable if that was the only expense. BUT I need a worm gear shaft for a 68/69 steering box. None to be had that I can find, so far.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 13, 2019 04:29PM

If you look at the end of the intermediate shaft, you will notice it was homemade. No splines. So the installer massively over-torqued the bolt/nut so it wouldn't slip. Needless to say it ruined the splines in the coupler on the steering column. I have one that is in good condition, so not a big issue for us.

I got the snap ring off without ruining it. The shaft is out and looks good except for the coupler. I have removed and put it in the scrap metal bin. The mast lower bearing is dry and sounds it. I will get some grease into it before we reassemble it. Upper bearing still has some lube.

I opened up the removed gearbox. It was full of 90 weight gear oil. The adjuster screw was turned in so far that it was recessed 2 threads below flush. The bearing on the worm shaft came apart and the balls are inside the housing. Might be the reason it locked up. No worth my time and trouble to deal with it. Scrap metal. 2 photos of the disassemble box. One with flash.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Attachments:

Date: May 13, 2019 04:58PM

I found a 60 - 63 worm shaft and ball nut on eBay. Talking with wife about what we want to do with car. Keep OE parts or go with safety parts. Will have answer shortly.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Date: May 13, 2019 05:45PM

The answer is a resounding install the safety parts. So time to round up a worm shaft, ball nut and rebuild kit for this 63 box. Time to rebuild a 3rd gearbox. Going to get good at this. Not going for a new box. It would take it to far out on expense.

Anyone interested in a standard ratio (5 turns) 66 box after I finish putting it back together?

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 13, 2019 09:15PM

Al
It was full of 90 weight gear oil.

This is actually a good sign. At least there was some lube in there! Better than seeing caked grease only on the case and rust on the worm, balls and nut. But, lubed worn out parts are still worn out parts....sad smiley

Offer up the 66 box for sale in another thread.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 14, 2019 02:32AM

Frank: There was not enough lube in the box to keep upper bearing coated. It only got coated when I turned it over to remove the large lower nut. There was enough lube to cover 1/2 of the ball nut, if I have to guess. I'll post photos of the teeth of the sector shaft/ball nut teeth after I clean up the pieces.

When I complete the 66 box I will post a separate for sale thread on it with photos. I will try to complete it today.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:37AM

Steve Goodman told me a method for getting at the snap ring under the steering wheel. Put the nut back on with a 5/8 or so box wrench underneath it. This gives you a handle to pull up on against the spring pressure to reveal the snap ring.
I was working on one that I had removed successfully but could not for the life of me get back on, I called Steve and he came to my rescue once again. I was only in the neighborhood for the turn signal switch.
Even though removing the gas tank is one of my least favorite jobs I would do that before trying to remove the large snap ring on the coupler underneath. It looks like you have to move the gas tank over away from the steering shaft.
Thinking through it a little further I don't understand why you would want to remove the upper mast to address the steering box and lower shaft.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: May 14, 2019 05:05AM

Jim:

Only one person trying to loosen the nut and bolt was an impossible task due to the limited access and 2 approaches needed to apply needed tools. No way one person could handle both sets of tools. Also Bolt was way over-torqued I found out after I got to work on it. Gas tank is full so that was a no-go there without emptying it.

Simpler to remove steering column to get that dang bolt out of the coupler. Wheel had to come off anyway to install Roger Parent's turn signal lever. If I knew then what I know now, I would have removed the coupler snap ring and then slid the lower shaft out. Column would have still come out to replace coupler. Original intent was to put a 66 box back in, so attaching the column shaft to it and mount the box was the easiest, then slide column back in and secure it.

Now things have changed on the installation of the system using collapsible shaft, but lubrication of the lower bearing still has to be done. So pulling the column was still a good thing before the bearing failed and created a larger problem and expense. Still did not pull a full tank or deal with emptying it to get it out. That will be another day, if I want to address the indication anomaly.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 14, 2019 09:08AM

Al - I have everything you need to put a collapsible section in there. If you want to use a stock 66 steering upper shaft, and the 63-style short input (or the 67-69 one) No problem. drop me an email and I can go through this with you. And you will not have to deal with the stamped coupler, either.

Seth Emerson

Check my new Performance Corvair Web site [www.perfvair.com]

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 14, 2019 02:35PM

This is getting a little too safe for me. I think I'll see if I can loop the Lakewood (with solid steering shaft) on the way home.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 14, 2019 02:59PM

I got plenty of danger on the way home yesterday with my new Allis Chalmers 7040 on the car hauler. The CG was a little high.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Attachments:
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.