Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
1963 convertible water drainage
Posted by: Peeeot ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:27AM

My 1963 convertible has had some zealous bondo work along the bottom of the rocker and it appears all the drains have been filled. I have removed the front footwell vent assemblies and cleaned out accumulated plant trash from the cowl, but it is not at all clear where the drain is supposed to be or how it should look. The area looks completely rust-free (somehow) so the drain may still be intact under the external bondo. Any photos or illustrations of these drains? Also, how do the drains work for the convertible top area (also masked with bondo)?

1963 convertible - 102hp - 4-spd - 3.27 posi - central NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1963 convertible water drainage
Date: May 14, 2019 10:32AM

I found this thread : Water leaks in which Richard1 appears to have posted the photos I seek, but the attachments no longer show. I looked on EBay and found a couple of shadowy photos of the front fender/rocker area where there appears to be a large circular hole. Can anyone clarify whether this is the drain I’m supposed to have? Or is the EM supposed to drain out the rear rocker like the LM?

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 14, 2019 11:27AM

I remember my early car having a large oval hole at the bottom of the fender, however, you will need to clean out any debris that has accumulated around the vent assembly, where the water flows around. Getting the vent plastic out, can be difficult, since it needs to be pulled from one side and worked out of the hole in the cowl. Once you have it out, I suggest that you clean and flush out the area, and also to replace the rubber seal on the flapper door. Clarks sells replacement rubber seals, and the job is easy to do.
On my early, I have found that the seam sealer in the upper has failed, and needs to dug out and replaced. I suggest that you water test the whole car, so you are only chasing water leaks once. You will also need to reseal the vent assembly to the cowl after removal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Date: May 14, 2019 06:06PM

Thank you Junkman. I have removed the plastic cowl vent assemblies and removed the debris. Now I just need to clear out the unwanted bondo to let the thing drain! You have confirmed that there is supposed to be a drain hole there at the base of the fender. Also I spotted this picture that shows the holes themselves:

Date: May 28, 2019 04:18PM

Now I am wondering about drains for the rear. The convertible top has a rail that collects any water that gets pst the fabric around the rear window and directs it deep into the body where the springs for the top frame are. Seems like there should be a place for it to drain out somewhere down there. Where is it supposed to be?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.