Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Sorta Pissed Off at Clark's and myself..
Posted by: ctcorvair ()
Date: May 11, 2019 05:03PM

irfgt...I'm the first human to try and put a 64 harness on a 63? I doubt it. I put an entirely different suspension and rebuilt engine in this car (64 to 63) But somehow putting a 64 trunk harness in a 63 is "Insane"...not only that I converted it from an automatic to a manual transmission which required a good deal of swapping parts....shift rod, clutch and pulleys...and I had the rear crossmember cut and welded with plates in order to accommodate the additional 2 inches needed for the MT. I used this forum to do it! And for that I am grateful!

The front harness is nothing compared to any of that

The answer Clark's gave was to do it...I didn't specifically ask the tech about the front. So not sure what you mean by that

Why do you think I expect everyone to know every answer? I asked a corvair vendor a specific question, followed the advice and am posting my findings without blame.

It's weird of you to chime in on this and offer critique and oblique insults. It seems if something as trivial as my trivial blog is enough to get you upset and chime in negatively then perhaps you have selected the wrong forum

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: May 11, 2019 05:29PM

Ha ha that trunk monkey is hilarious! Take it from me...the first human to ever try and put a 64 trunk harness into a 63 car...which we know is virtually impossible without major modification

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: May 11, 2019 05:48PM

"OK, now get back in the trunk."grinning smiley

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: May 11, 2019 06:12PM

Call Clark's on Monday and I bet they will resolve the issue. It most likely is that simple.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 11, 2019 09:08PM

CTC
The front harness is nothing compared to any of that

Then why this post? Obviously it IS harder, that's why they make specific harnesses for specific years!

The horns on a 1964 Corvair mount in very different locations than horns on 1960 to 1963 Corvairs.

This is why a 1964 harness is NOT SUPPOSED to fit a 1963 car.thumbs up

You probably also have not noticed the trunk area of a 1964 is different than a 1963 and neither of these is the same as a 1960. Manufacturers made changes every model year back in those days. All manufacturers, even the VW Beetle changed year to year!

So mount your horns in the proper 1964 mounting place and your new harness will fit.smileys with beer

Of course you will also need to make new holes to run the harness, to make it look like any 1964 Corvair.

Looking at a 1964 car will show you where the holes go. Certainly this will be easier then cutting and welding a rear crossmember.thumbs up

BTW, you didn't ask, but I will tell you, changes in the trunk area for 1964 are because the gasoline heater was no longer an option. No need for combustion air to feed the burner. winking smiley

And of course, if you bought a 1963 harness, it would fit the car right out of the box, no modification needed. Plug and play like you want.

BTW, you might actually be the first to put a 64 front harness in a 63. I've never seen one in over 40 years of working on them. grinning smiley

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: May 12, 2019 04:11AM

Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just looked at Clarks website. They have different Trunk harness' listed for every year, with different Model shown.
>
> I also searched Clarks for a "trunk monkey", but I guess they don't carry them.
>
> If you're curious, Google "trunk Monkey". Funn
>
> www.trunkmonkey.com

They are presently out of Trunk Monkey, because the monkey is too busy trying to put a 1964 trunk harness into a 1963 trunk. When he is finally finished attempting to blame everyone else for his own foolishness, this is where the trunk monkey is going to go. Sure hope that he knows how to swim!
[www.youtube.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Woodstock CT... Located on the Connecticut / Massachusetts border, approximately 6 miles from the center of Southbridge MA. About 45 minutes from Hartford CT. 1 1/2 hours West of Boston MA. Woodstock CT to Los Angeles CA 2,937.1 miles. 1 Mile as the crow flies to Big Bird's nest.

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 12, 2019 09:58AM

Thank you Frank for that explanation. I have to admit I have been wondering about the differences and now I know.
So was a gasoline heater option available for the 63 cars and not the 64s?

Posted by: Monza109 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:18AM

Be careful bashing Clarks. Once they are gone we are finished.
Poor ol' Lon would still be in business if it weren't for those pesky bashers.

Date: May 12, 2019 11:21AM

Thank you so much Frank Duval! That was the information I needed...The horns are in a different place. I considered that but then thought...no. So the harness they sent me works...I would need to make some holes...and remount the horns...good to know. I'm still going to ask Clark's to exchange it for me. They've been incredibly helpful to me in rebuilding my rear suspension and everything else I've done to my car...they'll probably do it. If not, it's my fault and I'll make it work...but I'll probably just splice a longer wire in rather than remount horns and drill new holes. I thought I knew just about everything about EM Vairs but this lil bit of knowledge escaped me...good to know...again - Thanks!

63 Trunk Harness is much different than 64...Live and Learn
Date: May 12, 2019 11:34AM

And...I will write in caps CLARKS IS GREAT! There really is no Clark bashing going on in this thread. I appreciate that folks come to their defense and regret the tone of my first post. As a matter of fact I bought my 63 in the parking lot of Clark's when they had their outdoor gala which they do every few years. The guy was from my home town and had driven the car there. I brought all my old engine parts and swapped them out for new pistons, cylinders and rings (to save on shipping) I bought their upholstery set...and countless products. They are especially good about providing detailed instructions along with the items they sell in order to make installation easy...I know of no other vendor who does this or does it so thoroughly...so Long Live Clark's
And the Corvair!

I've renamed the post again so people don't keep getting stuck on this

Trunk Harnesses
Date: May 12, 2019 11:35AM

...couldn't change the subject...if there is a moderator please change it to "63 Trunk Harness is much different than 64...Live and Learn"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2019 11:38AM by ctcorvair.

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:44AM

Clark's has a restock fee. I had to pay it to return a harness. So be prepared to pay up to return it. Might be cheaper to modify it and use it between shipping and restock fee.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 12, 2019 12:15PM

Seems the 1 thing most of us are in agreement is that CLARKS IS GREAT. Another thought to fix your issue if too much time has passed for them to take back your harness is sell your 64 harness and then with the proceeds purchase the correct part for your car. Just a thought on my end. Luckily you do not have too much $$$ to lose on this ordeal regardless of the outcome. But I also know that everyones situation is different.

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:30PM

In the amount of time used to make all the postings about a part that does not fit, the wiring harness could have been simply modified to work. Much ado about nothing. If I came to a halt every time a simple problem happened, I would be where I was in 1965.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:02PM

Monza109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful bashing Clarks. Once they are gone we are finished.
> Poor ol' Lon would still be in business if it weren't for those pesky bashers.

Vendor Bashing IS NOT what closed the doors of Corvair Underground ! ! ! eye rolling smiley
We may not tolerate Religion or Politics on CCF, but we DO encourage HONESTY! winking smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: May 13, 2019 06:36AM

Just buy the right S**t and get over it. Its only a harness. Put it on your credit card. All the energy wasted. Time

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.