Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorta Pissed Off at Clark's and myself..
Posted by: ctcorvair ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:24PM

I have a 1963 Corvair 4-Door Monza. My front (Trunk) harness is suspect in terms of corroded wiring...so I ordered a new one from Clark's. Because I swapped out the tired old 1963 84HP engine with a 1964 110HP engine, I decided to also swap out the 1963 Harness with a 1964 Harness. This was years ago....I am only now replacing the front/trunk harness. On the phone I asked the Clark's tech if those harnesses are the same. He told me they were except for the colors of the wires themselves. In other words, the harness is the same design but with potentially different color changes of the wires, so I would need to refer to the 1964 schematics instead of the 1963...whatever....not a big deal.

That is INCORRECT. The Horn connections are totally different for 1964! The dark green wire is not routed in the trunk but instead is supposed to be routed within the outside frame of the car, which is fine I guess, but I can't seem to make this work. I see no way to do this on my vehicle...maybe someone knows something I don't. Either way, it's not "plug and play" as I was expecting. I would have purchased the 1963 harness over the 1964 had I known that the harness was indeed DIFFERENT in it's layout in terms of routing the horn wires.

According to the 1964 assembly manual, the wires are routed the 63 way BUT also the 64 way in a revised/updated page toward the end, I can see that there may be confusion...but I am pretty pissed off that I will not be driving my corvair today as I had hoped and now have to deal with sending it back and trying to get an exchange/refund...or modifying the harness I just paid $104 for in order to make it work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 02:35PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pissed Off at Clark's
Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:29PM

Why don't you ask Clarks to exchange it for the right thing?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: May 11, 2019 12:38PM

I’ve never had an issue with Clark’s that wasn’t resolved immediately. They are a class act.

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Date: May 11, 2019 12:55PM

Clark's is a class act...and they probably will do me right and exchange it for the 1963. But after waiting more than a week for it to come in the mail....having to now mail the incorrect part back (a couple of days) and waiting for them to again mail the correct harness back to me its like 3 weeks of me NOT being able to drive my Corvair. I'm upset that when I specifically ask to speak to a tech/expert in order to get this right the first time, I'm given misleading information that now sets me back weeks for what should be a minor operation. I can drive the car I guess, with no horn or front turn signals...or headlights...I think it's lame. The tech guy should know that the designs are different or if not he should have looked at the two and double-checked for me...that's why I asked to speak to someone...in order to avoid this exact situation. That said, I think it's weird that Chevy revised the one Flippin horn wire to route outside the vehicle...there's NO Way that both horns can be connected on this harness no matter what...the one wire is just too short. B&W produced a faulty harness in my opinion

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 12:56PM by ctcorvair.

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: May 11, 2019 01:03PM

Contact Clark's and give them a chance to make this right. I'm betting they will.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

<a href="[www.wunderground.com] src="[weathersticker.wunderground.com]; alt="Click for Norman, Oklahoma Forecast" height="90" width="160"></a>

Date: May 11, 2019 01:19PM

New Topic...NOT PISSED OFF AT CLARK'S

I've been thinking about this incident and come to think of it, when I talked to the tech I was specifically talking about the rear harness (which I also bought)...which is correct. It's the same as 63 except for wire colors. I don't think I even mentioned the front harness. I think I assumed it was the same and just bought it. As a matter of fact Clark's called me personally beforehand to double-check that I wanted a 64 when the car they had on file for me was 63...so...my apologies to Clark's and to the forum for my unfounded ire.

I'll ask Clark's nicely to exchange the harness (I bet they will) If not I'll modify the one I have and spend the time the car is off the road restoring the headlight bucket area...which also seems to be suspect in terms of bad grounds and corrosion. I'll probably even order the headlight wiring from Clark's at the same time to save on shipping...and I'll leave it at that

Except for you GM! Why are you re-routing a separate wire for the horn outside of the vehicle mid-year in 1964!? ....Ugh...

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: May 11, 2019 01:23PM

>>This was years ago....I am only now replacing <<

You ordered mismatched parts for different years...years ago ... and you expect Clark's to fix your ignorance. You're being ridiculous.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 11, 2019 01:30PM

It's a bit much to expect some guy on the phone to know everything about all the systems.
It was a mistake to put a 64 harness in a 63 chassis. There's only like 6 wires that attach to the engine. I would not enjoy being the guy trying to trace wires from a wiring diagram 10 years from now.
If only the horn wires are odd I would have cut and spliced them suckers immediately. More often than not the horns don't work anyway.
I worked on a Corvair that had a new faulty harness. I think one of the turn signal wires and one of the wiper wires were the same color and routed wrong. I just about blew my mind trying to figure it out.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Date: May 11, 2019 02:18PM

Well, IMHO, I don't think it's too much to expect a tech at Clark's to know that for some reason the 64 trunk harness has this weird anomaly where you have to strangely route one of the horn wires inexplicably through the pinch weld outside of the vehicle. Did they do that in any other year? I just looked at it again and the distance between the horn connections in that wire are about 6 inches shorter than the inner walls of the trunk, so there is NO Way this harness fits without modification...sure I can figure a way to splice it to work but that defeats the purpose.

And putting a 1964 harness in a 63 Chassis is not a mistake IMHO...everything is exactly the same (except for wire colors) Just refer to the 64 schematics and not the 63...it's exactly the same for everything and I have not had any problems except for this stupid trunk/horn wire issue...

It's frustrating when you get a new part and you expect it to be "plug and play" and it's not...especially when you have faith that the part was manufactured correctly and any difficulty involved is due to you. When it turns out the new part had incorrect colors/wiring or whatever and you've wasted your morning trying to solve an insolvable puzzle, then sometimes it feels good to blog about it. And it makes me feel better to hear that similar experiences, so thanks for that!

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 11, 2019 02:29PM

Expect all you want but parts department personnel are not service department personnel. Why would someone not order parts for the year they have? You ordered a harness for a 64 knowing you have a 63 (?). Being mad at the parts people because of your mistake makes no sense to me at all. Being mad at a manufacturer for changing the way they do things makes no sense to me at all. I have only praise for Clarks. We are lucky we have them for our hobby. I know those people are saints for putting up with half the loones they are forced to put up with.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2019 02:31PM

Look what it did to Lon!!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 11, 2019 02:32PM

And to Richard...No I didn't order mismatched parts from years ago. This post is essentially about the trunk harness for a 1964 being markedly different than a 1963. I regret naming the title "Pissed off at Clark's" since I already said that I'm not pissed off at Clark's and intend to purchase more items from them.

You really should read the post in it's entirety before you start flippantly offending forum members by calling them ignorant and ridiculous

I would like the main takeaway on this post to be that the early model Corvairs (1960-1964) have virtually identical electrical harnesses in terms of design. But beware...the 1964 Trunk harness is different and strangely designed. Perhaps even avoided (On your 64!)

Obviously any 65-69 harness is way different to the early models

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: May 11, 2019 02:34PM

Surprised you didn't pull this one Matt. What happened to no vendor bashing?

Date: May 11, 2019 02:35PM

Not really bashing... when you read it...

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 11, 2019 02:42PM

Wow...I'm about done with this blog...Is it "Crazy" to put a 1964 engine into my 63? Am I supposed to find a 1964 body to put that engine into? Is it "crazy" to ask a staff member on the phone if there would be any problems putting a 64 harness in my 63 Monza (mainly because the engine is a 64)...And for that staff member to tell me that it's no problem at all...and to suggest doing it?

I have already mentioned that I didn't specifically ask the tech about the front harness, I don't fault Clark's or the individual...and I'm not mad...again...the takeaway is to "Watch Out" for the front harness (new) for 1964

People are getting too caught up on the Clark's thing...Clark's is great! Read the entire post before you start slinging insults

Re: Sorta Pissed Off at Clark's and myself..
Date: May 11, 2019 02:51PM

And I appreciate the Subject being changed...I didn't know that could be done...I do now. Thank You

Date: May 11, 2019 02:54PM

Rich... everyone is just wondering why? supposedly the same....no improvement

Was it cheaper?

I bought a 66 with replacement '65 Corsa harnesses, had '65 transaxle
...PO never could get the Backup or Thermister to work..

You guessed it... wires crossed in main body harness...

I cussed the MFG. not a vendor..whom I had no idea.

Date: May 11, 2019 04:14PM

Well, since you asked...

First...It seems less people were wondering why? As opposed to jumping to their own conclusions and throwing out insults and critique

The reason for ordering a 1964 trunk harness instead of 1963 is that the engine is a 110HP 1964, the main body harness, the engine harness, the dash and the entire rear suspension all 1964...yes, I restored the rear suspension with the transverse leaf spring and proper height springs A-Arms etc. Thanks to Clarks I might add! So It didn't seem that big of a matter to order a 64 trunk harness as opposed to a 63. Neither did the tech guy at Clark's (not the secretary...the tech guy) But apparently it is a big deal.

It simply does not work without modification...If there are any 64 owners who have threaded the external wire through the pinch weld I would love to hear from you because I will do it in a heartbeat if at all possible.

And that's about the long and short of it...That said I don't see how it could ever work with the wire that obviously short (mistake in MFG)

If I had a 64 Vair and wanted a new trunk harness, I would order the 1963. I looked for posts about this before I started this thread and didn't find any...has no one had any issues with this? Rerouting the horn wire externally? I really can't figure out why to be honest...I'm not familiar with LMs but they don't do that do they? So this harness is for cars built within a 6 month period of 1964? Do they have a special hole in the frame to do this? Seems strange...as I said the assembly manual has schematics for both configurations and the external layout is a revision.

One more thing I'd like to add is that when I order from a specific Corvair Vendor, I want plug and play. If i want to tinker around with something that will work if I splice this and that...then I'll order from the cheapest vendor on e-bay or wherever...so I kinda expect more from Corvair vendors. And i usually do get more from Corvair vendors...Clark's especially...anyway...my 2 cents

Posted by: irfgt ()
Date: May 11, 2019 04:34PM

You are probably the first human on the Planet to try to put a 64 front harness in a 63. I would have probably given the same answer that Clarks did. If you expect everyone to know every answer to every Corvair difference then it ain't going to happen. This is true with every collector car. If something this trivial gets you upset enough to write and complain then perhaps you have selected the wrong hobby.

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: May 11, 2019 04:47PM

I just looked at Clarks website. They have different Trunk harness' listed for every year, with different Model shown.

I also searched Clarks for a "trunk monkey", but I guess they don't carry them.

If you're curious, Google "trunk Monkey". Funn

www.trunkmonkey.com

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2019 04:49PM by Murphy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.