Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: ...Only 9 miles a gallon? Help?
Posted by: Johnnya101 ()
Date: May 11, 2019 06:56PM

Then that explains it, its a combination of leaving it idling too long and having the choke on. This week Ill only leave it choked for a minute and will not let it sit so long and will see how much longer it will last.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 11, 2019 07:16PM

Also unless it's really cold I wouldn't warm it up for more than a minute and then baby it for a couple of miles. I run most of mine without thermostats.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 11, 2019 07:17PM

22-23 for short trips (10 miles at a time)

best on the highway so far is 25 for a 150 mile trip,
most of the trip was a constant 70 mi/hr, 3000 rpm,
I did get on it a couple of times into boost to clean
the pipes!

my real world gas mileage pre EFI was a lot more
like Joels turbo.

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:43AM

Johnny
Usually I let it warm up idling with the choke half closed for 5-10 minutes and it's a 5 minute drive to where I bring it.

Unless it is below 0° out, that is excessive and wasteful idling.

Start it and drive! Even in freezing weather, a minute is enough, just drive gently at first. Engines warm up when they are loaded! They do not warm up at idle. Rich mixture and idling washes cylinder walls with raw gasoline. not what you want to do for long lasting rings. People warm up cars to melt snow, frosty windows and frozen butts! The car really does not care, as long as the engine keeps running. Just do not push the car to its limits before all the rolling parts warm up. And sitting in a driveway with just the engine running does not warm up wheel bearings, u-joints, etc.

IIRC, to start after sitting overnight with manual choke, step on accelerator pedal, pull choke knob out, give another press of the accelerator pedal, start car. When it starts, push in choke knob half way, drop in gear and go. Then push in choke the rest of the way. Modify pushing of choke knob if engine falters.

If the engine has been running, then don't touch choke knob, just depress accelerator slightly and start. If no start, pump pedal once or twice.

You will get a feel of how the engine responds to temperature and your driving after you get some miles on it.

Others may have different approaches.

But stop warming it up in spring, summer, and fall.

Start and drive as soon as the Powerglide goes into gear without stalling the engine.smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 12, 2019 01:51PM

Thanks for the tips. Its getting warmer every day, jsut the last couple weeks there has been frost in the morning. Ill be sure to not let it idle so long anymore, and I expect those new thermostats will make a huge difference in warm up times!

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:45PM

Johnnya101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the tips. Its getting warmer every day, jsut the last couple weeks there has been frost in the morning. Ill be sure to not let it idle so long anymore, and I expect those new thermostats will make a huge difference in warm up times!

They will until they fail. Some of the repros are not so great. They need to be adjusted so the doors just barely close when cold. After a few operating cycles check the doors they may not be closed when cold. The ones I used recently did not contract fully after a couple cycles and needed to be adjusted tighter again, then after a few more cycles adjusted tighter again. That car is not in my possession, so I am not sure if this has occurred again. of course if this happens more than a couple times the doors will not open fully when hot (make sure they can if readjusting). I use either no thermostats and doors removed or find good used or NOS units to use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Date: May 15, 2019 05:23PM

Was able to install one new thermostat today. Adjusted it so the door is snugly closed, but not snapping shut tight. Makes a huge difference in warm up time and how smooth the engine runs!

I also figured out why I was getting iffy MPGs. The PO installed a new tank... but cheaped out and didnt put in a new filler hose. Figured that out today when I filled it up, noticed the gauge wasnt at full, topped it off, gauge still wasnt full, topped it off and then saw a huge puddle of gas on the ground! sad smiley Idling was the main problem, but I am sure lots of fuel sloshed around and dripped out.

About how long does it take to drop the tank and install a new filler hose on a 61? I dont think there is an anti sway bar or whatever the later EMs have installed. Gotta have my mechanic do this one, I dont have a lift. Two hours?

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: May 15, 2019 05:41PM

Depending on how full the tank is now and how you plan to drain it, 2 hours is about right.

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Date: May 15, 2019 06:04PM

Well, its about 3/4 full after me trying to fill it and having it drain out, so I am hoping I can get him to do this mid-late next week, and by then the tank should be 1/4-1/2 full. Hopefully he can save at least some of that gas.

I am pretty lucky to have this guy... who happens to have the av gas pump right behind the shop... ggg . I know what I am filling it up with!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 15, 2019 06:27PM

Johnny... no need for Avgas....don't waste your $$$... There is no mower "power / energy" in higher octane fuel.... just a resistance to pinging! nothing more...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: TerribleTed ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:29PM

Johnnya101 Wrote:
> Was able to install one new thermostat today. Adjusted it so the door is snugly closed, but not snapping shut tight. Makes a huge difference in warm up time and how smooth the engine runs!
>
> I also figured out why I was getting iffy MPGs. The PO installed a new tank... but cheaped out and didnt put in a new filler hose. Figured that out today when I filled it up, noticed the gauge wasnt at full, topped it off, gauge still wasnt full, topped it off and then saw a huge puddle of gas on the ground! sad smiley Idling was the main problem, but I am sure lots of fuel sloshed around and dripped out.
>
> About how long does it take to drop the tank and install a new filler hose on a 61? I dont think there is an anti sway bar or whatever the later EMs have installed. Gotta have my mechanic do this one, I dont have a lift. Two hours?

Be sure to change both hoses the overflow and filler neck. Gauge not reading full is likely a fuel sender adjustment or bad sender or bad sender float. the new senders are not that accurate out of the package and often need the float arm bent some the read properly.

The proper adjustment on the thermostat doors is just barely closed not "snug". If they are snug they are a little too tight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avid Corvair hobbiest since 1984.
I have personally performed ground up restoration on over 20 Corvairs.
I currently work full time at restoring and repairing Corvairs.
Located in the Atlanta Georgia area.
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:47PM

Johnnya101 Wrote:
>
> About how long does it take to drop the tank and install a new filler hose on a 61? I dont think there is an anti sway bar or whatever the later EMs have installed. Gotta have my mechanic do this one, I dont have a lift. Two hours?

Two hours is about right- if you don't have a lift, it can be done with a good floor jack and jack stands, as the tank does not need to come all the way out for what you are doing... it just needs to be lowered enough to replace the hoses that should have been changed out the first time. Its a lot easier than it looks!

------------------------------------

Kevin Nash
Friday Harbor Washington
63 Spyder, Daily driver, EFI read about my project here: [corvaircenter.com]
first test start on EFI here:[www.youtube.com]
first official EFI boost test here:[www.youtube.com]
My new fan! [corvaircenter.com]
engine less 62 Spyder
Canadian 64 Monza Parts car

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 15, 2019 08:09PM

Maybe it is just eastern rusty cars, but I count on 4 hours to R&I a Corvair car fuel tank. Rusty J bots, rusty gear clamps on filler and vent hose, rusty sway bar clamps, etc. Draining a full tank can take a while.....winking smiley Driving it low is a great idea. More fun than watching fuel flow into a 5 gallon can.

Lift does help a WHOLE lot, as the you can work standing up instead of spending 20 minutes getting the car far enough off the ground to drop the tank and remove it from under the car.

Did the previous owner replace that rock hard filler neck grommet? Now is the time.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 15, 2019 08:38PM

Frank!! read ALL the posts before commenting!! NEW tank PO did not replace hoses... LOL!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 16, 2019 03:09AM

Nothing was replaced. He didn't even replace the fuel line! That was... A sight to see. Looked like the original fuel line. I'm also going to get the fuel line hose by the engine swapped out too while this is being done

Date: May 16, 2019 07:07AM

Good plan!

Date: May 16, 2019 07:11AM

joelsplace Wrote:
> Choke on will really kill mileage.
> The best I've ever done is 21.
> Usually I get 18-20 with 80, 102, 110 engines. Doesn't seem to matter much if I run them wide open or baby them.
> 15-16 in my Spyder.

I get this in my 80 and I find the same thing to be true. If I use my heater... well then it drinks.

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 16, 2019 11:26AM

Just filled up the Lakewood after mostly highway driving 65-75mph. Did a little over 21mpg.

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.