Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Old garage, new clutch
Posted by: SteveInMarietta ()
Date: May 11, 2019 05:32AM

We recently purchased a house down the street, to which we will eventually move (after renting for a few years). One asset is a nice big garage (not to be rented).

Well over a hundred years old, the garage has quite an interesting history, having served as a bakery and a fish market at different times.

Quite deep, with a 14 ft ceiling, the garage is just right for storing two Greenbriers, which have wandered in.

The loft has lots of storage space.

Plenty of room to do work (and a lift, but that's not going to happen).

Notice the 5 foot high foundation walls - the whole garage was elevated about 20 years ago. Ready to go is my homemade engine lift.

The first project will be to inspect and rebuild the clutch in the '61, which I will be posting about in this thread. In recent years, getting into first gear has become difficult, with lots of "bucking" as the clutch is released. Usually it takes a lot of engine revving to get it rolling; shifting into other gears is not a problem. Any suggestions about what the issue might be?
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old garage, new clutch
Date: May 11, 2019 08:02AM

I dig old buildings like this. Whats the story with the brick in the corner? You could probably squeeze a lift in there...

1961 Corvair 700 Sedan - 3sp - Gasoline Heat - Lowered a bit - Rust in Progress
I live my life 19.5 seconds at a time.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 11, 2019 08:25AM

Hearth and Chimney??

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: May 11, 2019 10:26AM

Great space! Lot more room than your old garage.

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process) MY Build Thread
65' Monza MY Build Thread
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 11, 2019 10:31AM

Room for two lifts, and four posts will allow storage of four vehicles. Just go out to the Money Tree and get some!grinning smiley

Great garage!smileys with beer

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Date: May 11, 2019 11:04AM

Yes, there was an old pellet burning stove in that back corner (the stone around the pillar is just decorative). Of questionable condition and I removed it - I also don't like flames near flammable, volatile liquids. The ducting now services my exhaust venting pipe. And yes, plenty of space for at least one lift. Unfortunately, funds are exhausted smiling smiley
Steve

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 11, 2019 07:22PM

Watch Craigslist. I picked up my 4 post for $300. Just missed my favorite 4 post for $500 last year. I gave $1000 for my 2nd Forward 2 post but I really wanted a 2nd identical lift. I bought 2 lube lifts for $1800 but I needed the big size for Ultravans.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Date: May 12, 2019 04:32AM

Hmmm... Sounds like a "pre-owned" lift might be had for a reasonable cost. But for now, it'll have to be the 4-jack system.

One of these days I need to actually measure how high to lift in order to clear the engine; like usual I just eye-balled it again.

If my fate is to be crushed to death under a Corvair 95 (possibly a suitable fate), I insist that it not be my own fault - earth quake, OK (not too common in OH); Devine retribution, OK (maybe deserved); my own carelessness, not OK! - so I have support redundancy.

Since I don't trust jack stands, especially when elevated near their limit, I avoid that situation. Each jack is elevated on wood blocks and the hydraulic jack is left in place but with the weight off. An additional stack of heavy wood blocks hopefully provides the failsafe to catch the vehicle should a jack fail and prevent tipping of the other jacks.

Overkill? Probably.

Steve

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 08:21AM

Great work space and lift is a must. As you get older it's not bad working on your back wrenching but getting back up is the difficult thing. A;so you have to watch the leaning doors ,boards and other items along the wall. It seems in my case they multiply quickly and your work space gets smaller and smaller.

Posted by: Kyle_in_Mich ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:30AM

I like the loft for storage.

I could redo my garage completely I would go up, up, up and have a second floor for assembly and clean room activities (like engine building. The first floor can be all the dirty stuff. Only pain is would need duplicate tools for each floor to prevent walking back and forth all day!

CORSA Member
Traverse City,MI
Daily driver- Bicycle
Fun driver/project- 65 Corsa 140/4 speed

Posted by: alan_smithee ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:39PM

But what about that bucking out of first gear??

Date: May 12, 2019 04:16PM

The laying on the back is getting more stressful that's for sure! But then again, everything is getting to be more difficult.

Yes, what about the bucking - but it's as I try to get into 1st gear? By "bucking" I mean lot's of vibration as I try to engage the clutch. It's what I'd expect if the clutch disk wasn't engaging smoothly. Any suggestions about causes? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Steve

Date: May 12, 2019 06:37PM

Sometimes if the disc is oily or has started to fall apart will cause that. What about slipping in high gear?

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 12, 2019 07:40PM

Nice garage Steve. I easily could see a 4 post lift in there.

Date: May 12, 2019 07:49PM

No problem shifting or driving once the vehicle is rolling. Problem is only when first getting the vehicle engaged in first gear.

Thanks Tim.
Steve

Posted by: jjohnsonjo ()
Date: May 13, 2019 07:22AM

How are your trans mounts????

J.O.

65 Corsa Turbo Vert
79 Honda XL 500S
69 Honda CL 160 D
2010 BMW F 650 GS
2003 Bounder 36D
2013 KIA Optima SX turbo-AKA ZIPPY (wife,s car)
69 Newport Holiday Sailboat
Baja 150 dune buggy cart
Coleman HS 500 UTV
2016 KIA Sorento SXL Turbo

Bethlehem,Pa

Date: May 13, 2019 07:58AM

I believe the transmission mounts are old, and I'll be looking at them. I assume that worn mounts would allow too much movement of the powertrain front end which would cause the vibration I'm getting?
Steve

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 13, 2019 08:57AM

Steve,
The condition of the trans mounts are critical. Warn mounts also effect the wheel alignment.
As for clearance to remove the powertrain. I have the vary portable, EZ Car Lift. It raises just 28 inches and that is far more than enough to remove the powertrain.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: May 13, 2019 12:44PM

For the cost of those type jacks you could buy a 4 post or a 2 post.I still don't understand how that Greenbrier is balanced one 1 jack.

Date: May 13, 2019 05:37PM

I guess that's what makes it so "EZ" - and expensive! You only need a jack on one side.
Steve

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.