Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: CPF's Prototype Corvair FI engine display at the Garlits Museum
Posted by: Mountainman ()
Date: May 12, 2019 05:42AM

Situations like this as well as the one with the Molzon Car tend to show the side of our hobby that turns me off. When you have something rare or collectible someone is always available to scam you out of it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Johnniespeed ()
Date: May 12, 2019 06:20AM

I would like to thank Larry Claypool and Clark Hartzel for producing the display, so that prototype history can be preserved and accessible to the public.
I would like to thank Don Garlits for providing a place that this historical prototype can be viewed by the public.
The preservation and display are a success and available for all to see in a secure location. It is perfectly fine right where it is.
I would much rather go to Don's museum again than to Decatur.

John

1962 Rampside, 4.3 Vortec powered.
The thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Sparta Michigan.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: May 12, 2019 09:54AM

John, You do I understand that Din has effectively stolen this from CORSA/CPF right? So I don’t believe it’s necessary to thank him for all he has done.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: jack bacon ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:08AM

It was stolen from the CPF so steel it back!

CORSA Central Division Director
CORSA Membership Chairman
Corvair Minnesota President
Corvair Minnesota Memberhip Director
Iowa Corvair Enthusiasts
Corvanatics
garagejournal.com
1962 Rampside baby blue

Posted by: Timothy Shortle ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:28AM

"steel it". This engine is aluminum Jack! As far as stealing it, no thanks. We do not need to lower ourselves to his level. That would probably make the evening news though (they say any advertising is good). This whole saga seems to be lousy for our club. Can we come up with any proof the engine is ours and was only loaned for the purpose of displaying it? Perhaps when the 87 year old passes on...

Posted by: ral1963 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 10:39AM

So, the question is what can be done about it? I was in attendance at the CCE monthly meeting where the FI engine was being assembled at the Vair Shop by Larry Claypool.

I know the FI engine belongs to us and I feel it should be on display the Museum in Decatur and not in Garlits possession.

I have to believe there is enough documentation “showing” the engine was in CORSA possession and that enough people could provide signed affidavits to provide a legal stance of ownership.

Don Garlits would be required to provide “paperwork” showing it was donated, which he cannot…

With as many Corvair owners and enthusiasts, online and in within reach of the Communique, perhaps a message should be sent out looking for suggestions from a Corsa member who is an attorney.

If need be, prior to legal action a “Go Fund Me” or other type donation could be setup to provide compensation for said legal action….

It is sad that a gesture in good faith to Don Garlits has turned into this scenario.

Rick Loving
Corvair historian & chronicler of useless facts
CORSA
Performance Corvair Group
Chicagoland Corvair Enthusiasts

RAL1963@COMCAST.NET
Just south of Chicago IL

Current Ride
63 Sprint Vert 140/4sp

Past Rides
60 700 Sedan 80hp PG
63 Monza Vert 102hp 4 spd
63 Monza Coupe 140hp 4 spd
63 700 Sedan 80hp 3 spd
64 Monza Vert 110hp 4 spd
64 Monza Coupe 95hp 3 spd
64 Monza Sedan 110hp PG
65 500 Coupe 95hp 4 spd
65 Monza Coupe 110hp PG
65 Corsa Coupe 140hp 4 spd
66 Turbo Coupe 180/4sp
68 Monza Vert 140hp 3 spd

Posted by: Caveman_1960 ()
Date: May 12, 2019 11:32AM

There were four people present at the time of the conversion of the FI engine into Don Garlits' trailer for it's trip down to the museum in Ocala: myself, Pete Cimbala and Pete's cousin Tim Storer and of course Big Daddy Don. All three of us heard the discussion about the loan and the promise to return the signed documents to CORSA/CPF. Pete Cimbala has copies of the incomplete loan agreement papers and I sent copies of these to Don's grandson Rodney who is acting Business Manager for the Museum.

I have not contacted Don's daughter Donna, who was supposed to complete the forms and return them to us. Don assured us she would do that as we were loading the loaned engine into his trailer. Looks like the story has changed in his mind.

Posted by: Vairismo ()
Date: May 12, 2019 12:25PM

Timothy Shortle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This whole saga seems to be lousy for our club. Can we come up with any proof the engine is ours and was only loaned for the purpose of displaying it? Perhaps when the 87 year old passes on...

Yeah, right! IMO, and extreme long shot for that version of recovery. Nothing is impossible, but some kind of formal legal process ought to be initiated and soon to lay the groundwork for the claim.
If it isn't worth the monetary outlay then there it is. If it is worth the money and effort, then get busy IMO and get depositions from all the parties that are still living, while they are, so that critical details
of the legal claim are not lost. Pretty much a matter of how much it is wanted to happen, no?

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 12, 2019 06:40PM

Vairismo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Timothy Shortle Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > This whole saga seems to be lousy for our club. Can we come up with any proof the engine is ours and was only loaned for the purpose of displaying it? Perhaps when the 87 year old passes on...
>
>
> Yeah, right! IMO, and extreme long shot for that version of recovery. Nothing is impossible, but some kind of formal legal process ought to be initiated and soon to lay the groundwork for the claim.
> If it isn't worth the monetary outlay then there it is. If it is worth the money and effort, then get busy IMO and get depositions from all the parties that are still living, while they are, so that critical details
> of the legal claim are not lost. Pretty much a matter of how much it is wanted to happen, no?

X2!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dualy, approaching 400K
17'Terry

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 13, 2019 08:58AM

To set the record straight, I was on the board per se for four years, the first year to fill out another's final year, and three by election. I was President in my second year in '75, and lost a second year as prez to JJ. I had two more years to serve, and he was in his third, and up for reelection to the board at the end of that year. Turns out, he lost his division's reelection to the board, so was off the board and out of the presidency all in one whack, while I still had one more year on the board to go.

It was at the '76 Philly convention when he took over as president, and at the end of that convention, he hauled off the FI equipment, documentation, and some other artifacts that were included. I lost track of him after he left the board, along with where the FI parts, etc. were at, until some years later Bob Helt turned up with the documentation and Larry Claypool with the FI parts.

Back then, the politics and backstabbing in CORSA was terrible, as Woody Schwartz is but one of the former directors that was turned off by such crap. Woody was one of the first concours chairmen and I consulted with him (among others) when I wrote the first CORSA concours rules. And it is through concours that I stayed active with CORSA. Woody (and others) left the CORSA national scene, but I figured it was better to hang in there at all costs than abandon the cause.

-Mark

Posted by: swi66 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:05AM

I was at the Don Garlits museum back in November

Here is a link to my Flickr album page containing several photos of the motor in question

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: May 13, 2019 10:24AM

I don't understand why the engine was EVER offered to Garlits????must have been after free admission ?

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 14, 2019 07:38AM

Mel... "Temp" STORAGE.... we had lost our Building for the Museum.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 14, 2019 03:34PM

If I were to be in the area of the museum I would stand at the door and tell everyone that goes in he is a thief. I've done that before in other situations. Gets people's attention.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.