Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM Dash Pad removal
Posted by: Ron62 ()
Date: May 06, 2019 04:26AM

I need to remove and replace the dash pad on my 67 PG coupe. I dont see any mention of how to go about it in the assembly manual or service manual. If anyone has any instruction or photos on this that would be great.

Thanks
Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Dash Pad removal
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 06, 2019 05:28AM

Having removed countless padded dash pads, I will tell you how to do it.

First, realize that everything is layered into the dash, and that the pad is the first thing to go on. The reason it isn't in any manual is because Fisher Body installed it, and you would have to have a Fisher Body manual. Even then, I'd have to look in mine to see if it's in there.

Regardless, you are in luck, as the '67 pad is the easiest of the three styles to remove. You will have to remove the instrument panel, glove box, "A" pillar covers, and radio. On the '67 pad, there's 5 speed nuts across the dash pad that you'll have to remove. One in the center, one at each end, and one more pair set between the ends and middle. The pad has studs embedded in it, so once the nuts are removed, it will lift off.

If you need more info, call me at 419-468-4942 or 567-241-9068.

-Mark

Date: May 06, 2019 08:30AM

Thank you Mark,
Much appreciated. Ill give it try. Sounds pretty straight forward.

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: May 06, 2019 08:36AM

Ron,

You are not the only one who needs to do this. I have everything but the radio off my 67. Just need to take off the 5 speed nuts my self.

So your question was very much appreciated by me.

And Mark, thank you for your response. My dash is out waiting for some A/C parts.

Date: May 06, 2019 09:23AM

Quick question. Did the speaker have to come out ?

Date: May 06, 2019 11:26AM

My 67 is in the Electric shop today, so I can not check right away. BUT, I don't "think" the speaker has to come out. Reason - dash pad is cut away from speaker.

I will check when I get the car back, perhaps by 5 p.m. today.

Date: May 06, 2019 11:50AM

Sounds good John
Thank you !!

Date: May 06, 2019 06:33PM

Ron,

4 of the 5 speed nuts were removed very quickly with a flat ratchet wrench. The last one, on the extreme right is giving me problems because I am forced to use my left hand and the space is too tight for me to get my fat right index finger in to hold the wrench on the speed nut. Got it part way loose, but not all the way off yet. With a little more patience, it will come off.

If I the car had a/c, I could reach thru the right vent and hold the wrench on the speed nut. Since I want to install a/c in the car, maybe I will just cut the hole for it now. Then take off the last speed nut!

BTW did not have to take the radio out or the speaker.

Hope this helps.

Date: May 06, 2019 07:13PM

Thanks for the updated John. Going to give it try tomorrow night. I have the same issue with huge hands and fat fingers so wish me luck...smiling smiley

Date: May 14, 2019 01:16PM

Got delayed a week on this. One more question. This a PG. Does the shift handle have to be removed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2019 01:42PM by MattNall.

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 14, 2019 02:51PM

In some cases, yes, the shifter knob has to be pulled off. However, IF, and that is a big "IF" you are good at it, it can be weaseled out of the dash. It's not easy, and may leave scrape marks on the knob from the aluminum surround, but it's often better than pulling the knob off. When you do that, IF you can ('cause it's really, REALLY pressed on) get it off, it may never go back on and not be loose. Seems it has a barbed fitting that is stripped when pulled off.

HOWEVER, that said, you could also remove the cable from the shifter, leaving the entire mechanism still affixed to the instrument panel.

I've tried it in all the above methods, and I find no easy answer. Just start with whatever looks good to you and try it.

-Mark

Date: May 17, 2019 12:31PM

Thanks everyone for all the helpful hints. I was able to get everything removed including the shift cable in about an hour. Dash pad replaced. Now just cleaning up the dash cluster and since I had it out, am upgrading to LED's and installing a Super Tach II in the center blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.