Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: How is "Ackerman" adjustable????
Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:04PM

Here's about all you can do with 15" wheels. The steering arm hole for the outer tie rod is 1/4" outside of the front lower ball joint. Way better than stock. A quantum leap better than aftermarket short arms. But still not perfect.

Jonathan Knapp
Now in Martins Ferry, OH
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 14, 2019 04:43PM

Did you make those arms?

Joel
Northlake, TX
4 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Posted by: nirvairna ()
Date: May 16, 2019 09:13AM

joelsplace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you make those arms?

I think those are the ones he did a few years ago as mentioned in this thread HERE

"I started with aftermarket quick arms, cut them, then ground the two pieces down to a point where they were to connect back together. Once they were positioned correctly relative to each other so that they fit right up tight behind the brakes(built a jig) I used the MIG to weld across the joint from four angles (top, bottom, each side). Then I ground the weld down with a die grinder and blasted it to relieve stress. From there I went back with successive passes of welding, grinding and blasting until the whole arm was built back up to the approximately 1" square solid steel arm that it started out as. So in the end there is no seam that I welded across. The whole arm is one piece of metal again through and through."

Posted by: john.jackson ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:12PM

Matt,

8 foot reduction in turning circle is kind of insane, NO? It implies a tighter turn radius and reduced lock to lock turns.

I have a NOS set of John Fitch steering arms I want to install in my 67 Monza when I get the front suspension sorted out.

Very interested in how you measured the turning circle so I could attempt do duplicate your test with the Fitch steering arms.

Can you send me your test procedure?

Just FYI, I can test the stock turning circle on my 69 Convertible and my 67 Monza before any modifications and the 69 will remain stock as a reference.

May take a couple of weeks for me to set it up.

JJ

MattNall Wrote:
> I finally got a chance in an easily measured area to test results of a "U-turn" / turning circle..
>
> 8 foot less than a stock long arm Corvair! This is with wheels / tires that are in the same plane as the brake's backing plate.
>
> A-mel with his Vette 15" [ deep dish ] and 4-1/2 lock to lock, compared to my 3-1/4 SAME overall RATIO....should do better..
>
> And following what Jonathan talks about... The Mark left by the OUTSIDE wheel was considerably LESS than before.
>
> In conclusion... as stated by OTTO vair....if Rear steer Ackerman is just a THEORY.... then FRONT Steering Ackerman is a FACT!! and can be adjusted...as I just described..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 01:13PM by john.jackson.

Date: May 16, 2019 01:19PM

A tighter turning circle will add turns lock to lock since it moves the wheels more.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:19PM

Parking lot.... mark side of car on pavement.

Turn wheels 100% away from side mark....

Go 360 degrees... stop measure.

Surprised me as well! But remember no stops on my arms..so wheels make a difference.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:47PM

If there's no stops on the arms then what stops it? The steering box internals?

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:50PM

Just stops... no bind... but not positive!

A-mel with Vette Rallys gets 4-1/2 turns..

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2019 01:51PM by MattNall.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: May 16, 2019 03:42PM

joelsplace Wrote:
> A tighter turning circle will add turns lock to lock since it moves the wheels more.

YES.
BUT, MUCH tighter turning radius.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
'66 Monza Coupe - 4spd, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - PG, 140 Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza - 140 4-spd. driver

Posted by: Jonathan Knapp ()
Date: May 17, 2019 03:12PM

Joelsplace -

Nirvairna has it right. That is a piece I wrote a while back about the process. I started out with IECO aftermarket arms that are much thicker than stock ones -- nearly 1" square.

The trick is to figure out where you need the end to be located and then to build a jig to hold the two pieces in position relative to each other as you weld them up. After the first pass of the welder on all four sides, you can take them off the jig and then weld, grind, and blast relatively quickly. The biggest problem was waiting for it to cool down enough to handle it. Although with pliers or welding gloves you could get it into a vice to grind pretty fast. The air from the sand blaster also cooled it a lot once it was in there.

Jonathan Knapp
Now in Martins Ferry, OH
'66 Corsa Autocrosser

Date: May 17, 2019 04:04PM

I read all that and thanks for posting it. I had just forgotten the part about the arms. I just remembered the center link.

Joel
Northlake, TX

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.