Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Anyone have a pole barn program
Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 13, 2019 08:24AM

My reply is in your post below

JimBrandberg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would suggest talking to a pole barn supply company where a 36' wide building is everyday stuff rather than Home Depot "special order". They will travel long distances if they can roll the whole package off at one time.

I only used Home depot to get some drawings, material list with prices for items I can and will be buying from them.
I'll say it again. We don't have the luxury of lots of vendors to chose from like I'm use to in the USA.

>
> Surface coating barn poles rather than pressure treated sounds like folly to me. Sometimes the industry standard is tried and true.

I'm not able to get PT post in the size I want or need.
Not so sure I want them anywhere near our well..
FYI - There are companies who already offer this process of coated post.
I'm just doing the work myself on the kind of post and size I want.

>
> Especially with a long term do-it-yourself project, one Building Inspector can say one thing and another Building Inspector can come along later and say something else entirely. They can be on a power trip and not care how much trouble it is for you. It's hard to defend an experimental process.

This is true and I've heard inspectors doing this to people I personally know.

>
> You didn't ask but I'd say if you're going to do it, get the whole thing delivered, get it up and signed off on post haste. Fooling around here and there does not work well sometimes with the powers that be. They probably want to sign off on framing the whole thing before steel starts going on.

I don't have the funds to buy an entire package and have it delivered all at once. Nor do I want all the wood sitting around here that long.

>
> Maybe the extra foot in the ground will work out to 15' sidewalls with 20' poles. Depends on the steel company. 22' poles might not be a stock item.
>
> I don't follow what you're saying above regarding headers and top plates. It sounds more like "wood frame" than "pole barn" references. I would just put up a pole barn like everyone else is doing it. You start buying double 2 x 10s just to do it a special way, the price will go up where it doesn't need to. It seems like you're adverse to notching 5 x 6 barn poles for trusses and all this other way of doing it has sprung from that.

I was saying that I might place a top plate over 2 headers, one on each side of the post.
This would merely provide a wider resting surface for the trusses.
The truss engineer said I need at least 3" to rest the truss on. But more would be better.
The top plate would provide more surface area for the truss to rest on.
I also would prefer to sandwich the angle post brackets between the headers for extra stability, from racking. It might be a little overkill.
However, with me doing as much work as I can I have that option to invest more in areas that concern me personally and still save while building what I want..

>
> But I digress. A pole barn supply company would have a pole barn program.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: May 13, 2019 08:36AM

Who says I have any money? I just blew every nickle I had, hocked every door knob in the place, and begged and borrowed everything I could just to pay for my project car. And it's STILL in the body shop, after three years, four months, and counting IN his shop. And it just last week got some other color other than battleship gray on it, as he finally painted the bottom from the toeboard back in black. Yes, I have money set aside for his bill, provided he sticks to his estimate. If he goes over, I'm in trouble. Car restoration is not cheap by any means. But at least it will be a new car, as I took it down to the last fastener.

As to putting up buildings, I had a foundation based 24' x 36' storage garage built in '01 for $16,000. Don't know what it would cost today. Just offering that for comparison purposes.

I just about had to go the foundation route, since my back yard (where it's located) is a veritable swamp every spring. Water runs off the field behind me, and there's no adequate drainage of same.

-Mark

Posted by: OttawaCorvairGuy ()
Date: May 13, 2019 08:49AM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who says I have any money? I just blew every nickle I had, hocked every door knob in the place, and begged and borrowed everything I could just to pay for my project car. And it's STILL in the body shop, after three years, four months, and counting IN his shop. And it just last week got some other color other than battleship gray on it, as he finally painted the bottom from the toeboard back in black. Yes, I have money set aside for his bill, provided he sticks to his estimate. If he goes over, I'm in trouble. Car restoration is not cheap by any means. But at least it will be a new car, as I took it down to the last fastener.
>
> As to putting up buildings, I had a foundation based 24' x 36' storage garage built in '01 for $16,000. Don't know what it would cost today. Just offering that for comparison purposes.
>
> I just about had to go the foundation route, since my back yard (where it's located) is a veritable swamp every spring. Water runs off the field behind me, and there's no adequate drainage of same.
>
> -Mark

Mark,

My plan is to build a 36'W by 56'L shop and storage area.
I hope to do it in sections, with the first being 36'W and something over 28'L.
That way I can pour a concrete floor 18'W and 28'L - "IF" I have the funds after I get everything up and putting in the gravel base.
That way I can have my concrete floor divided up in four equal sections.
This should also help cut down on stress cracks and allow me to do this build as I can afford to.

The gravel area will be for storage and I will at least have a 18'X28' concrete floor area to work in, until I finish the 36'X56" building and can do the entire floor in concrete.

Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: May 13, 2019 01:01PM

Just one thing to keep in mind, THE BUILDING INSPECTOR IS ALWAYS RIGHT! no matter what you think or what may have been past practice. Don't even think of arguing with him. They can write a stop work order on your project that will cost you thousands. I told my inspector what I thought, it only cost me another $10,000. But I was right.

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:01AM

Usually a gable end truss is different than the others. I saw a collapsed pole barn once where they added on and left the gable end truss in the middle which failed years later under snow load. You will be okay if you leave the wall in place when you add on later. Lots of folks have a big pole barn divided into heated shop and cold storage.

Jim Brandberg
Isanti, MN
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: Frank DuVal ()
Date: May 14, 2019 09:46AM

Gabel end truss is designed to transfer load to a wall below for its entire length. Other trusses are designed to transfer load to specific spots.

If someone removed the wall below a gable end truss, oooppppsssssss.sad smiley

They should have sistered a regular truss to the ex-gable end to transfer the load to the correct points.thumbs up

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: May 14, 2019 05:01PM

Makes me want to move about 45 minutes N of where I am so I don't have to mess with permits at all.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, Lost count at 100 Corvairs...

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.